So Discouraged...

• I only lost 3 lbs in Phase 1. I did cheat a little by using full fat cheese instead of light here and there but other than that I was on point. I also have to admit I weigh in everyday. Anyone ever just get the feeling that your body has made up it's mind on your weight? I did weight watchers before this only lost 5 lbs in 2 months that came back on as soon as I stopped. I feel like I stall right after I loose all my water weight. Maybe I am expecting too much? all I know is the numbers on the scale are really breaking my heart.

p.s. I'm new here, so hi fellow dieters I'm Andi
  • I've read other women say that they also only lost a small amount of weight during phase 1, but then more substantial amounts in the weeks following. Just remember, you do not weigh very much, so it may take a little longer to see those big numbers for your total loss.

Stick with it girl!

*** And think of it this way... You've already lost 1/8 of your weight. Just imagine 2 months from now, you'll almost be at goal!***
  • Welcome, Andi! I didn't lose much in Phase 1 either. Actually, my loss has been excruciatingly slow all around. But, minus my recent slip ups, I feel 10x better than I've felt in a long time. I have more energy and just feel healthier. My advice would be to keep plugging along, maybe watch the cheese a little closer. I bet in a few weeks you will really feel a difference!
  • Hi Andi. Welcome. I'm a similar size to you and I didn't lose that much in phase I either. You don't have that far to go, so 3 pounds is actually pretty good. Just keep on keeping on. Are you exercising? Maybe that would speed things up a little? How's your energy level? Has that changed? Did you take any measurements? Sometimes those change before the weight.

I'm sure you're getting healthier, which is sometimes better than the scale moving anyways. I know it's discouraging when you don't see a change in the numbers, but you're doing all the right things, just keep it up.
  • Hey there - keep plugging away Andi! 3 pounds in 2 weeks is a strong, healthy loss. How are you feeling after 2 weeks? clothes fitting any better?

How is your water intake?

Maybe post a sample menu for us to look at to make sure that in Ph 1 you got all that you need to before moving onto Ph1.5 or Ph2?
  • Andi - that's better than 12% of your total goal so that's fabulous! A lot of Chicks would be thrilled to have that much gone already. You've got a small amount to lose so it will come off slower. I do think our bodies often have different goals than our heads but it's too soon to make that call. If SBD feels like a good fit and you feel healthier keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the slow, stable loss
  • Thanks for the encouragement Ladies!
    I have been drinking my water in the form of seltzer maybe 4 cans a day. I do feel like a more energy without the carbs after I cheated on Valentines Day with a sub I feel asleep for a half hour thanks to my slip up. I was amazed to see that. I haven't gotten back to my exercising yet but I was doing 20 mins a day 5 days on a elliptical and weight training (only once in a while) I got into it for a month then some how got off track and never got back on. I always feel so sluggish it's a real challenge to get motivated. I will start using a measuring tape. Is there anywhere in particular that I should measure? I never did the tape thing.

I will post my menu soon I haven't actually eaten breakfast yet. (not usual for me but I was bummed) Thanks again everyone it's really great to know others get what your going through.
  • I agree with all of them! Hang in there. And WELCOME
  • Hi Andi!

The first time I did Phase 1, I lost five pounds. The second time (about a year later), I didn't lose a single ounce. I could not believe that I had done two full weeks of Phase 1 and not lost anything. It is very discouraging, but what I realized was that I was putting all of my worth into the number on the scale.

I had to end up counting calories to really see a consistent loss, and even then it was 0.5-1 pound a week. For some of us it just is a lot slower.
  • Andi,
    Hang in there... I have the greatest respect for these ladies here. I don't post alot, but I READ alot of posts.

I am on SBD for the very first time ever. I'm 57 yrs old, 5'2", when I was younger weighed about 130. Time, involvement with kids, work stress, menopause, stopping exercising....all of these led to me packing the weight on. But now its time again for me.

I did pretty well on Phase 1. I started slowing down on Phase 2. I went back on Phase 1 and am going to stay on it for awhile. I know that at my age its harder to lose, so I joined a gym this week. I pass this gym on my way home so I have absolutely NO reason not to go! : I'm starting the exercise slowly so every day this week I have gone to the gym and I am doing the excercise bike for 30 minutes.

I have already started losing again. I didn't take my measurements when I started (wish I had) so I have 2 pairs of pants that I use as an indicator.

Hang in there and good luck,
    Pat
  • I have been on the diet a week and haven't loss any weight, but I didn't gain either. Considering how much better I feel this week will continue and keep my fingers crossed for a weight loss.

Don't get discouraged. Remember you are making a life-style change and that in itself is very challenging.

Blessings,

Sharon
  • Hi Andi - I found that when I weighed myself everyday it would give me an excuse to cheat or skip a workout. If I hadn't lost as much weight as I felt I should have, I would eat something bad because what did it matter if I wasn't losing weight.

That's why this time around I'm trying not to weigh myself as much and go by how I feel. I've found that the scale (though not outright lying) was skewed by my time of the month, how much salt I had taken in, or what time of day I weighed myself.
  • Quote: Hi Andi - I found that when I weighed myself everyday it would give me an excuse to cheat or skip a workout. If I hadn't lost as much weight as I felt I should have, I would eat something bad because what did it matter if I wasn't losing weight.

This is exactly where I am at right now. I have been cheating here and there since I found the scale not moving. Your words rang so true. I agree weighing everyday is probably counter productive. It's just so temping!