South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #1  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Default Clothes Hoarding...

SO, I decided to clean out my closets... and I am beginning to think I have a problem... I think I am a clothing and shoe hoarder. I never realized how much I have. and how little I fit into. Some are too big, some, okay most, are too small. But I am having the most horrible time trying to get rid of this stuff! Most everything I pick up I think- I will like this in 20lbs... or it will look good once I lose 20lbs! a LOT still have the tags on. I have 3 closets full of clothes, and two racks in a bedroom! and over probably a hundred fifty pairs of shoes. last count was about 30 I haven't worn. I picked up a top that is too big- has been for a while that still have the tags on and I think its been in there for at least 6 years- its going on ebay this time but only because its too big- if it was too small I would probably still keep it! I just don't know how to motivate myself to get rid of this stuff!

Just writing this out to post it I am feeling like a selfish jerk- I think maybe that is just what I needed to make myself just do it- there are so many people who don't have much and could use these things I have been hoarding for the past several years. I think I will research and find a local womans shelter or something to take them to. I will only keep the things I *really* like that I can't fit into- and think I will someday... besides- I am going to want to go clothes shopping for new stuff when I lose the weight... right?! lol

OH, and no more buying something unless I REALLY Like it and can wear it NOW. I stopped this habit a few years ago but apparently got back into is somewhere along the way- I remember having this conversation with myself before! ;0)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  

Lol.

If I may suggest .... forget ebay. Forget selling things. You are in the "moment", so bag it all up and take it to Goodwill.

I have never been much of a clothes horse, but a few years ago, I just got disgusted with how much was in my closet. I only wore about 5 things and everything else just made me feel like I had lots of clothes (which I did, not that I wore any of them) so here is what I did - I took EVERYTHING out of my closet. Yep, every single shred. Belts, shoes, clothes, and stacked it all on the bed. (because if if is on your bed, you have to deal with it before bedtime.)

Then, I did the weekly laundry. Only things from the laundry went back INTO the closet, because those are the things that I truly wear.

From there, I sorted out anything that I had not worn in the last 12 months, allowing for seasonal clothes. Only clothes that I would wear in the next two weeks went back in. I ended up with about 8 work blouses, a couple of pairs of pants, my favorite jeans, and some workout gear.

And before I could change my mind, I bagged up everything else and ran, I say RAN it to Goodwill.

You know when you lose that first 10 pounds on a diet?? It felt like that.

But - and this is a big but - you need to just go with it. Be ruthless. Keep saying to yourself "I am being RUTHLESS!!"

For what it's worth, your mileage may vary.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

My plan was for goodwill at first, and I just can't do it to give it to them. I have known a couple people who have worked there and if I am giving them up I want to know where they are going and it be good!

Ive sold stuff on ebay before and as long as its fairly expensive stuff totally worth it.- so there are several things I will sell- but they will be in a different pile entirely ;0)

Thanks for the advice- I am going with 50% of my stash today- that is a lot, there is no way I will get down to what you kept! OMG, I would have a heart attack! lol but good for you! I actually wear a lot more than that as it is now and I am definitely keeping the things I do wear... I have friends that only have that in the closet and as nice as it looks I just can't bring myself to do it! LOL I need to have a wide variety!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I don't have this totally worked out -- it's a work in progress -- but I know what you mean.

I did a great big purge after I lost a great deal of weight, but it wasn't enough. Then I bought an apartment & had to move. You'd think I'd have cleaned my closet before I moved, right? To make it easier on myself? But no.

I carried everything into the new apartment. Then when I saw how much of my old life I was bringing to my new life, and how much I'd never use, and hadn't worn in years, it just looked wrong there. It didn't belong. It was just so unnecessary.

Clothes are not that special. Really, they aren't. They are easily replaceable. Another one will come along, as good as or better than what you've got. Especially if you're into basics.

Also, they get dated fast, unfortunately, because that's the way the industry works. So hoarding them for a long time & then wearing them makes you look like you are stuck in a former fashion period.

I realized some of my clothing was a weight issue, like so much else in my life. When I was fat, it was so hard to find clothes that I liked that each piece represented a lot of looking, subjecting myself to painful mirror interrogation, and trying on to see if it minimized the fat. Each piece was therefore very rare, hard to find & hard-won. That made them hard to get rid of. Also, I had no faith that I was going to keep the weight off.

You have to come from a place of stability & self-confidence to keep just enough clothing, all of which fits & is flattering.

When you fit in more, and you have more choices, then you see how dispensible clothing really is. And it doesn't hurt to say, "This is not really enhancing me as much as it might. I say it goes."

I have accepted, reluctantly, that for me, both eating & clothes buying are a form of consumption, and that the two are inextricably related. I need to work at keeping them both in balance.

Last edited by saef; 01-24-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

Wait... take it to a womens shelter directly because if you are anything like me, the clothes you keep are good clothes not thrift store material. There are many women that fit into those close that need them for life, finding a job, supporting their kids, and making themselves new... just like us! Just a thought.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #6  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

aj- thats what I said I was going to do ;0) Definitely not goin to goodwill... not that there is anything wrong with that but I will let them decide what to keep and what to thrift!

Saef- you are soo right!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

If it weren't for goodwill I'd have way less clothes. I'm far too cheap to buy stuff new
Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #8  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

Im super cheap most of the time too.... the clearance racks are where I have found most of this nonsense in my closet! That I suppose is what I use to justify all the rediculous clothing I have! Well, it is only couple bucks - I should get it... 3 dollars- may as well have it just in case! You can see where this is going! Same thing with the shoes- they're so cheap! uncomfortable, but I will wear them out when we won't be walking around much, and you can guess, that never happens... *sigh* still working on it!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I only have 3 pairs of work pants (and they are almost all summer, brrrr), 2 pairs of shoes, 1 pair of sneakers, 3 sweaters and 2 shirts. It's sad but clothes are sooooo expensive. So I try to buy some decent stuff and have it last. Where are you buying your stuff??? I need to go

I think it's great of you to donate it. If I had less shame, especially in my 8 months of unemployment, I would have benefited so thank you!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #10  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

I love Kohls sales racks, Macy's if you can hit them at the right time, JCP has lots of 2.97 sales, um, walmart is fab for tanks and workout stuff... Target sales racks, pretty much everywhere's sales racks! lol all this has accumulated over years though- I haven't been shopping much in the past few months until the last couple weeks... fashion bug and catos also usually have great deals... Fashionbug.com has some great ones right now actually ;0) OK< I better stop or I am going to talk myself into looking again! haha... Going back upstairs to get rid of some more...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Ah, well I can sympathize, I hoard EVERYTHING!! But am learning... so, it might help to have other people go through the things that you know you're not wearing now (but no harm in a few things you might want to fit into, everyones got em)... with a less objective eye, someone might be able to help ya. Sometimes I take a bag that I haven't looked at in a year and donate it without looking in it...that's hard to do though. But really, when's the last time you saw some of that stuff?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I don't think there's any shame involved in thrifting. I love a bargain, I love the idea of reusing stuff rather than wasting it, and I do like having lots of choices. Actually it's one of our favorite mother/daughter activities on both sides (my Mom and my daughter).

We have Label Shopper here. Has deadly $3 sales. I think that's how I ended up with a lot of this stuff (well that and the 2/$3 sale at the awesome thrift store conveniently located half way between home and my parents house) I have stopped buying clothes that don't fit though. That was a benefit of losing weight. At this point if it doesn't fit it isn't going to fit!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #13  

I tell you - Coldwater Creek has some GREAT on-line bargins. The stores are sort of pricey, but just last week the online outlet was 75% off. I picked up three new sweaters and a couple of work-quality tshirts, with free shipping. Substantially increased my wardrobe
Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #14  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

It took me two months to convince myself to even go on unemployment. It's not a shame thing in that people should, just that I did. Felt like a failure, etc so I hope my post was not misundertood.

I think I am going to start putting $25 a check away for clothing. Thanks for the great lookouts (I usually shop at Macy*s!)
Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

rdw, the first thing you need to do to fix a problem is acknowledge it, so good for you!

Pick one (or maybe five, if you just can't bring yourself to limit it to one) item that you LOVE and is too small for you, and hang it where you can see it. Each time you slide down the ticker, try it on! It can be very motivating. I had a size 14 skirt I bought at the Gap and it was my "skinny skirt." It was SO satisfying to be able to finally fit in it, and then to make it look better and better as I lost!

Our local Junior League has a consignment shop, and the money they make goes into projects for local non-profits. I bet you can find a local place like that--and usually, whatever they can't sell is then given to Goodwill, so it doesn't go to waste. I haven't heard anything about it, but I wonder if anyone's collecting clothes for Haitians? That would be one seriously worthy cause, 'eh?
Closed Thread