Digital Scale: it's wonky

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My digital scale is wonky.. it's new but it must be. I've been weighing myself every morning at the same time and in the same place.. I expect it to go up and down a smidge here and there.. I know that weight fluxtuates daily.. but um..

I think my new scale is wonky.

Yesterday it said I weighted 163 which I knew was wrong: but I also stepped on it kinda funny so I said ok.. it's because I whapped it a bit... so I got off and back on.. 170. I did it again and it was 170. fine.. cool.

so I get on this AM and it says 167 .. that can't be right.. so I get off and do it again.. 167

It said 167 5 times in a row.. I couldn't possibly have lost three pounds in one day, could I? I had karate last night so I burned a lot of calories and I did sweat a lot (it was a particularly challenging class) but three pounds in one day?

It's gotta be the scale.. right? (you know I'm only posting this because I have this little tiny hope that it is possible)
  • I think it sounds consistent enough to believe it. I can attest to having a drop like that during the first week as well so I would go with it and congratulations
  • That could be possible...but other reasons could include: difference in weights of clothing. If you were wearing thick, heavy workman jeans on day one and then dress pants on the day two, that could cause an increased weight loss.

Be scientific about it: weigh yourself everyday for a week in the same clothes and write down the measurements. Then you'll have more data to make a conclusion off of. If you're losing or gaining a significant amount of weight every day (like 3 lbs) then I would be a little suspicious.
  • Quote: That could be possible...but other reasons could include: difference in weights of clothing. If you were wearing thick, heavy workman jeans on day one and then dress pants on the day two, that could cause an increased weight loss.
    I always weigh myself right before my shower.. so no clothing.

Here is where my week was

Monday : 170.4
    Tuesday: 169.6
    Wedneday: 170.6
    Thursday: 170.4
    Friday: 167.3

Average: 169.66

It's just that big jump that scared me a bit.
  • It is possible to drop that much water weight. It's equally possible to regain all or some of it overnight. I am one of those people whose weight fluctuates huge amounts overnight, often for no obvious reason. Does help take the power out of the scale.
  • Lots of chicks choose not to weigh everyday. If the scale is freaking you out, you might just weigh once a week and will probably not see those ups and downs.
  • Quote: Lots of chicks choose not to weigh everyday. If the scale is freaking you out, you might just weigh once a week and will probably not see those ups and downs.
    I'm ok with the ups and downs.. I just couldn't believe that 3 lbs could melt off in one day.. that seemed like an extreme down.. if my scale was THAT off, I'd return it for a new one..
  • I'm trying not to obsess over the # on the scale. I've "only" lost 7 lbs in 10 weeks and am a bit discouraged by that. Each month during my period I gain 1-2 lbs, then it will come off the next week. So it seems to be slowly going down, but the speed of it is depressing. So I'm trying to focus on how my clothes are fitting and how i feel. I weigh in on monday mornings just so I have #'s to go by. I would think the 3 lbs is real, just maybe some water weight too, so don't be too surprised if you see the number go back up slightly. Good Luck!
  • I am super talented. I can gain and lose five pounds overnight. I do it twice a month - when I ovulate and when I get my period. Love it. (Not really. I am sarcastic by nature.)
  • Kara - Me too but my hormones are far less predictable these days, loads of fun. Then there's the regain. That weight holds on for dear life
  • Stupid hormones. Sometimes I hate being a girl! I still get pimples, too!
  • Just to let you all know... an update... evidently my scale is NOT wonky..

168 this AM! Wooohoo!
  • hi Kicknit

Congratulations, just want to say I notices your socks. I love knitting socks too and last year knitted 8 pairs. Still have lots of yarn waiting for more.
    take care
    Sophie
  • Quote: hi Kicknit

Congratulations, just want to say I notices your socks. I love knitting socks too and last year knitted 8 pairs. Still have lots of yarn waiting for more.
    take care
    Sophie
    Thanks!

OT: if you knit cuff down and would like to join a few Cyber KAL's I have an "Old School Sock Knitters" group on Ravelry.. we'd love to have you! A pair a month (hopefully!)
  • Congrats, KicknKnit!!!