Low sugar pasta sauce?

• Hi everyone,
    I have always used either Barilla or Classico garlic and basil pasta sauce. Both have I think around 5-7 grams sugar/svg. What is a good amount of sugar per serving to look for? Any suggestions for brands to look for?
    I can't find any without sugar added... I just want a jar to keep on hand for veggie parmesan or to put over spaghetti squash, etc.
    thanks!
    Deb
  • I had trouble finding sauce with no sugar. I buy Bella Terra (sp?) brand in the organic section. I love their arrabiatta sauce. There's no sugar in the arrabiatta. I haven't checked their other sauces.
  • Thank you Wendy, I will look for it today.
    Deb
  • Classico has some flavors with no added sugars. I buy the tomato and basil one. I always check the label as companies are always changing recipes. Hunt's also makes a "No Sugar Added" flavor in the can. I love the flavor of the Classico one though.
  • so.... the classico that lists 6 grams of sugar is okay because it doesn't have added sugar per the list of ingredients?? the 6 grams listed is the sugar that occurs in the ingredients?
    Thanks!
  • The sugar in "no sugar added" is fructose from the tomatoes and is OK.
    Sugar is "sucrose" and is not OK. Enjoy!
  • I wanted to make a sort of 'fake' chicken parmesan last week (it isn't breaded; simple recipe, really - I just cover the cooked chicken breasts with a bit of marinara and sprinkle mozerrella and parmesan over the top to melt just after it's heated through) - so anyway- I went looking for a no sugar sauce and found one at Winn Dixie; it's store brand. It's tomato, water, and spices-- that's all. No sugars or sweetners. I think it is probably similar to the Classico sauces. It was pretty good
  • Mezzetta makes a good marinara called Napa Valley Bistro with olive oil and wine. It's really good and has no added sugar.
  • Hunts has a no sugar in a can that I doctor up when I'm in a hurry.

Emeril's also has a very low sugar one I like...the garlic one. Still doctor it up though.