Healthy Choice Fudge Bar

• Hubby bought these for me when I asked for no sugar added fudgecycles.
    I am not that savvy at reading labels yet. So, I am not sure. Would the Polydextrose be sugar?

They say No sugar Added.
    Ingrediants
    Ingredients
    Milk, Condensed Skim Milk, Water, Polydextrose, Sorbitol Cocoa (Processed with Alkali)2% or Less of: Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Stabilizer (Maltodextrin, Whey, Locust Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Modified Food Starch, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan)Aspartame, Glycerine, Mono and Diglycerides, Vitamin A Palmitate, Natural and Artificial Vanilla Flavor.

I know that the sorbitol could cause unpleasent trips to the restroom

other stats sughar 5g fiber 5 g sugar alcohol 5gram fat 1.5 calories 100

I would think these would not be legal.
  • I don't follow SBD but...
    Polydextrose is a food ingredient classified as soluble fiber and is frequently used to increase the non-dietary fiber content of food,[1] replace sugar, reduce calories and reduce fat content.

That's from Wikipedia. It sounds like it is is there to add bulk to replace the fat or something along those lines. My husband is diabetic so we eat lots sugar free things and like them quite a bit. Skinny Cow and Blue Bunny are 2 brands you might look into and see if they are in your plan. Oh and by the way, polydextrose is a food, not a fake chemical thing. I would totally chow down on those fudgie bars but again I don't know what SBD allows and what is banned.
  • Tammie - I assume this is an okay 100 cal treat, but I'm sure others will weigh in. Thanks for posting the ingredients though. I used to buy these because they were the only SF variety without aspartame (migraine trigger for me) but guess they changed the recipe. I hate it when companies do that
  • i used to buy these, too, and they're pretty good.

I think they pass the SBD test, but I'd wait until Phase 2 because of all the chemicals in them. For that very reason, I don't buy them anymore.
  • I eat them. I think they are better than the other options, in terms of taste and texture. That said, I might overeat these and would never overeat the less tasty fudgesicles. But I have problems with snacks. Also, I know we are not in theory counting calories, but there are several options out there for 50-70 calories instead. So if you ever find your weight loss stalling you might think about that. And these are sure more expensive! Too cold for them here now
  • Thanks everyone!
    I havn't tried them yet and I will probably wait until phase 2.
    Tammie
  • Good idea Tammie. And a reminder to us all, so sugar added is not the same as sugar-free!