3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   OT but maybe not...Perimenopause (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/190544-ot-but-maybe-not-perimenopause.html)

Mmckellen 01-11-2010 04:24 PM

OT but maybe not...Perimenopause

OK, I thought when you started getting towards menopause that's when your period goes AWAY...not comes more than once a month. Seriously, for the last 3 months or so I am having about 24 day cycles. I'm pretty regular, but the cycles are getting shorter! I've only been on SBD since last Monday so I don't think it could really have had any impact (positive or negative) on my cycle yet, or could I be wrong? The periods are not remarkable in any way and actually progress the same way the always have - not many cramps but just a little, and about 5 days long. Any suggestions for me?

Sskar 01-11-2010 04:36 PM

Menstrual irregularity is a common sign in perimenopause - periods can be shorter or longer or uneven in rhythm and length.

jeanies 01-11-2010 04:57 PM

I often wonder if it's dieting per se or peri-menoupause setting in myself. Mine range from a mere 19 days apart to as long as 30+ days. From an almost nonexistant flow to rather heavy. It may be my imagination but it does seem to vary more when I first begin a diet especially when I cut carbs.

CyndiM 01-11-2010 06:16 PM

Me too, my gyn describes them as bonus periods. Hmm, some bonus. On the plus side now I'm starting to skip a few. At almost 49 it's hard to argue for anything other than age in my case ;)

murphmitch 01-11-2010 06:31 PM

Mine got a lot closer together before they started stretching out farther. Definitely not fun, but talk to you doctor about it if they get heavier or more painful. Mine we awful due to fibroids.

caryesings 01-11-2010 06:35 PM

I'm 50 and feel like I was regressing into my teenage years - periods closer together, crampy, PMS - all stuff I hadn't dealt with in years. Last month (for different reason) I went on birth control pills and it's nice to know when my period will arrive again.

weakling 01-11-2010 08:19 PM

I'm about to turn 50, and my periods were still regular, but getting heavier. I'd have to "double up" and run to the bathroom at least every couple of hours.

I talked to my GYN and she recommended a procedure called Novasure endometrial ablation. I had it done this September. It was an outpatient procedure, and insurance paid for it 100% (lucky in these times, I know). I couldn't be happier. I can still tell by breast tenderness that my period is due, but there's *no* bleeding, and no bloat.

Can't recommend it enough, but things turn out differently for different people, so you have to do your homework to make the best decision for you.

murphmitch 01-11-2010 10:51 PM

I known some women the ablation worked for and some that it didn't. My doctor said it wouldn't help with my fibroids. :( Had a hysterectomy at age 45. Now they do uterine artery embolization as an alternative too. I'd look into that or ablation if I needed something done now.

femmecreole 01-12-2010 05:11 AM

I started in my 30's...weird and irregular..
then they stopped all together in my mid 40's full blown menopause.
Then came back again a few years later...every few days very heady..
Then the hysterectomy, then menopause yet again after surgury...
hysterectomies are a great thing!