Weekend Beach Chatter

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good Morning

It's our final weekend before American Thanksgiving and it seems like the holiday atmosphere has kicked up a notch. The stores are busy and the craft fairs are cranking. Folks who are travelling are packing their bags. I've started doing a little pie making SB style and am making lists since I have a busy weekend then travel back to the Eastern Slope on Monday. My Sis is flying in from Hawaii which was a nice suprise. Tonight we're meeting friends for dinner and tomorrow is our TG potluck at church then later Kirk and I (haha) are cooking dinner for the youth group. It seems, however, that I get to spend my entire day at home which is a rare treat! Chili is simmering and everyone is sleeping but me. Nice and quiet just as I like it.

What's everyone else up to this weekend? Coffee's on or bring your drink of choice. Stop by and chat a bit
  • Good morning and thanks for the coffee, Debbie. For some reason I really need it this morning after a rather restless night. Delta Country Christmas starts this weekend and I may be fretting about things I feel I should be doing. Silly because I am not very involved this year for a change. Old habits die hard.

We have a concert in our Church as part of the festivities tonight but all I have to do is be sure it's unlocked so the group can set up, pass out programmes and lock up when they are done. I have to be there at 5:45 though which makes dinner a bit awkward. They should be out of there by eight though so a snack beforehand may hold me until then.

Debbie, enjoy your rare day at home and your visit from your sister. Cooking for the youth group sounds like fun especially with Captain Kirk's "help".

Time for another coffee and some dog cuddling to start the day. I'll miss the little darlings a lot when I am away next week.

Hope your weekend is looking good.
  • Hi Ruth. Sorry your sleep was a bit restless. You are entirely correct, old habits die hard. As I tell my Mother from time to time, no one new will step in to carry on tradition until you take a step back. I hope that you'll be able to enjoy the event without all the associated stress.

My crew has risen, and Bing seems to think it's time to eat since Rudi is up. Sadly, he must be patient. After I said I could stay home all day a list started in my head of all the things that need doing-I'll evaluate after more coffee.

I've been meaning to ask how much your pups weigh? Bing has lost 2# since he arrived and now weighs 35#. I'm just fascinated with his energy since I've never had a little dog before.
  • Debbie, Jazz weighs 11 pounds and Disney is a bit overweight at 23. When I had a cocker spaniel he weighed about 23 to 25 pounds. My Porties weighed in around 50 pounds most of the time.

Hope your day gives you islands of calm.
  • Good morning ladies!

Debbie - I'm realizing how early you are up, since you're a couple time zones over! I bet the silence and calm in the cold snow is beautiful though!

Ruth - Yes, old habits die hard. Relish in the lack of duties!

My coffee is almost done brewing, so the day will be nicer in about 5 minutes . I am in complete denial of how much of a disaster my house is...I suppose that is what I need to do this morning (although it is pretty hopeless with a DH and young children...it'll stay that way for 10 minutes, if I'm lucky!!). Then off to the cat spay clinic, I do enjoy it there.

Have a great weekend ladies!
  • Good Morning, Chickies!

My sweet hubby started a fire for me about 5:00 this morning. It's a really loud, poppy fire! We got our power bill yesterday. For the first time in ages, ours is lower than his parent's bill. They live next door and their home is smaller, but my MIL refuses to have a fire because of the mess. Jeff is challenged by the lower bill.

Debbie, I bet your sister freezes her tooshie off in Colorado! I hope y'all have too much fun!

Ruth, I think Sparkit's poopies are bigger than Jazz!

Twynn, My theory on keeping the house neat -- If everyone doesn't care, one person CAN'T care. So I don't care!

I have so much to do this weekend. We are leaving for Louisiana Wednesday morning. I have to have Christmas shopping done for my family by then -- with presents wrapped! Jeff has taken care of gifts for all the men. Manly things!

I hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Good morning to all you bright and perky earlybirds. I slept until 6:30, then had a long hot shower before coming downstairs. I did a double-take when I looked outside, though. Everything is coated white, but it's FROST, not snow like I first thought. I left my Christmas cactus out on the sunporch without the heat on overnight, but it looks like it's OK, and I'll have to remember to start bringing it in at night.

We're off for coffee and bagels before hitting Trader Joe's and Total Wine to stock up for the holiday. I'll have a very special visitor who I'm sure will help drink up the wine.

Debbie, have fun cooking for the youth group, and have a good time with your sister!

Ruth, maybe you can work in a nap sometime today after your restless night? I always have trouble sleeping when I have so much on my mind. Give Disney and Jazz some extra cuddling from me!

Twynne, enjoy your day and be nice to the kitties!

Chelby, it sounds like there'll be some shopping in your weekend. Enjoy your coffee by the fireside before you start your busy day!
  • G'mornin Twynn and Chelby

Twynn, the mornings are wonderful but I'm not very functional at 9PM. Sounds like a busy day for you.

Chelby, I'm amazed how quickly time is swooshing by. I leave here Monday, return in 2 weeks, stay a week, then it's Christmas. Wow! I'm thinking SPRING! Love your philosophy on the house! Hope you found your doll house.

Cottage, you just reminded me I had 2 little geraniums that are history. That saved a project. Your Saturdays always sound fun. I'll have to remember that when I come to the East Coast! Have a great one. I just shivered-it must be cold there!!!
  • Good morning early coffee drinkers

Debbie - Can't wait to hear about your pie crust experiments. I might try one for Christmas with the family. Enjoy your kitchen day and time with friends.

Ruth - Good luck letting some things go. It's like watching your children go off on their own. Sometimes they do things you wouldn't do but you just have to trust it will all work out. Been learning that lesson a lot at work with 90% less staff hours some things just have to be handled by other people.

Twynn - I don't even have the young children excuse Hope there's a few minutes of quiet time somewhere in your weekend.

Chelby - Nice to see you! I've missed your perky self in the mornings I haven't even started my shopping yet. Waking up to a crackling fire and a mug of coffee sounds like a good way to start the day.

Cottage - Wow, you're colder than us for once. We are off to TJs too. Must be the weekend Wish we had a wine store though. That sounds like fun.

We are off to Northampton for some early shopping and a yummy lunch. We haven't been there in at least 6 months so it will be fun. Then over to Trader Joe's to stock up. I don't plan to go back before the new year, so need a good list.

The hectic season is definitely starting. I hope everyone is planning a few quiet minutes into the weekend. Gotta hold on to whatever little grains of sanity we have
  • SHelby - your idea sounds fab. Now, if I can tell my DH that idea. Funny how he always comments how messy it is, but is a big contributor. I think the biggest thing is, he doesn't make the kids clean up their mess...he'll do it for them (grrrrrrr). SIgh.

Cottage - I must've missed Ms. Ruth is visiting for the holidays?!? How lovely is that!??!
  • Hi Cyndi. Lunch and shopping sounds fun!

The jury is still out on the pie crust-I'm favoring one from Hodgson Mills website. http://www.hodgsonmill.com/whole-wheat-pie-crust/ On the initial try, I didn't roll it thin enough and it needed salt-may decrease BP for high altitude, but it mixed and rolled out easy which outweighs another one which was PITA and had lots more fat although DH liked it better. Hmm...maybe I'll try again since I have a 6'2/140# guinea pig.
  • Debbie - uh oh, a new recipe site. Now I might spend the whole day at my computer I do love recipes. Can't imagine how I cooked before the internet (probably the large bookcase full of cookbooks)! Thanks

Twynn - hmm, so Cottage's need for extra wine made you think of Ruth?
  • Morning all! And a happy Thanksgiving week madness greeting too!

I can't believe it's already time for Turkey. Seems like school just started.
    The past few months have been very busy and stressful with work piled on top of work. Seems that just as I get a handle on it, more is kerplunked on top of it. BUT I have this whole week off and plan on enjoying every minute of it even though I have work to do on school stuff. Got six new gorgeous computers in my class and want to also update my class "technology links" website. Between all the computers and the smartboard, we are in high cotton!
    Seems like it would make things easier, but actually means more work, but worth it if it benefits the kids.

Looks like I'm doing the "big cooking" this week. I thought if my older son and his girlfriend were doing something with her family, I could just take younger son and his girlfriend out for Thanksgiving. No such luck. So girlfriend number 2 is doing some baking and will be helping me cook the feast. She LOVES to cook, so it will be fun having a buddy in the kitchen since my daughter will be in L.A. for the holiday. South Beach will get a holiday too on Thursday.

Other than that, nothing much going on here.. Going to a 3 times a year birthday bash at a friend's house today. ( 3 couples and we combine birthdays 3 times a year to celebrate since the birtdays are close together!) Should be fun.

PS...I just realized something. When looking at other "diet" forums, I see a lot of whining and complaining and moaning and groaning. Have you ever noticed that we just don't moan and groan and complain? Guess it's cause we feel good and healthy. Just a thought.
  • Good morning ladies!

I had a great time with the youth group last night. The kids were great, the Pirates won the hockey game 3-1 and there were several "good" fights. I did OK food wise, too. Ate OP for the 2 meals but I did have a couple of pixie sticks during the hockey game. I should have passed them up but there was an interesting "challenge" going on and I have a hard time passing up the goofy stuff.......

My eyes are glazing over so I'm not going to take the time to post individual notes this morning, but I was glad to hear what's up with each of you. Enjoy your Saturdays!
  • Its a cloudy but warm day here.
    I can see all the excitement coming over Thanksgiving.
    My youngest son is back from Europe but in NYC. He is staying with a friend for a couple of weeks. I am anxious to see him soon.
    Nothing much on the agenda here except a bit of tidying up and cooking. I have to clean my oven before I start baking because the smoke alarm is going off all the time.
    Note to Chelby - I have a sign in my studio that says - Dull Women have Immaculate Homes.
    Stephan got over the cold so much quicker the me, so the plan is still to go way on Sunday morning back on Wednesday.
    take care
    Sophie