Feta cheese

• In the first phase, can I eat a little feta cheese every day? I eat salads just about every day and I usually put a little feta in it. Is that ok?
  • I don't see why not as long as it's not a huge amount.
  • Is it Reduced Fat? I don't think you'd be able to have Full fat cheese
  • Thanks, Ko, I was just about to point that out although regular feta is a bit lower in calories and fat than other regular cheeses.
  • mmmm feta- salad with feta and roasted pine nuts. drool.
  • as long as it has 6 g of fat per serving or less it's allowed. Personally I'd opt for half an ounce of real feta over an ounce of reduced fat. You get more flavor that way.

ETA - according to FitDay feta has 4g fat per inch serving, so well within SBD limits
  • oooh real Feta I'm goign to remember that for when I next make something that just needs a taste
  • I love Feta!

Athenos makes a reduced fat (RF) crumbled feta that's really delish. I can't tell the difference from the real thing, so I use that when I need plain feta. However, I really love adding flavored feta (along with a sprinkle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar) to steamed green beans, and I haven't been able to find an RF flavored feta (oddly enough, we have fat free flavored ones at our store), so I use the full fat.

It's good stuff. I think Dr. A agrees with Cyndi's take, overall, though--he points out that it's worth it to have a little bit of strongly-flavored full fat cheese, like blue, rather than to eat a lot of something lower in fat.
  • I can get more flavor from half an ounce of sheep feta than 2 ounces of rf. Definitely works in fritattas