South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
SAlmon oil is Omega 3 and Flax seed is Omega 6. We need both.
Is this misleading? Flax seed has about 3 times as much omega 3 as it has omega 6.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #17  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I think Flax seed is known for it's Omega 3's:

Flaxseeds are rich in alpha linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fat that is a precursor to the form of omega-3 found in fish oils called eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA. Since the fats are found in their isolated form in flaxseed oil, it is a more concentrated source of ALA than the seeds themselves (although it doesn't have the other nutrients that the seeds do). ALA, in addition to providing several beneficial effects of its own, can be converted in the body to EPA, thus providing EPA's beneficial effects. For this conversion to readily take place, however, depends on the presence and activity of an enzyme called delta-6-destaurase, which, in some individuals, is less available or less active than in others. In addition, delta-6-desaturase function is inhibited in diabetes and by the consumption of saturated fat and alcohol. For these reasons, higher amounts of ALA-rich flaxseeds or its oil must be consumed to provide the same benefits as the omega-3 fats found in the oil of cold-water fish.
Yet research indicates that for those who do not eat fish or wish to take fish oil supplements, flaxseed oil does provide a good alternative. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that flaxseed oil capsules providing 3 grams of alpha-linolenic acid daily for 12 weeks-an amount that would be provided by 3 tablespoons of flaxseed oil a day-increased blood levels of EPA by 60% in a predominantly African-American population with chronic illness.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #18  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I'm really confused now! Jorge Cruise said in his book that flax oil is an excellent source of omega-3's, he also says that we don't need omega 6's because we already consume enough of those.

Ohh, that article on cinnamon was interesting, and a good warning. The amount I'm taking is the recommended amount, though. I won't double up the dose so I should be good, I think. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #19  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
I'm really confused now! Jorge Cruise said in his book that flax oil is an excellent source of omega-3's, he also says that we don't need omega 6's because we already consume enough of those.
Melanie, he is correct. I'm reading a book right now "Queen of Fats". It's basically about how the Western diet is overloaded with Omega 6 fats now and how we don't get enough of the Omega 3's due to corn fed livestock and processed foods.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #20  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I'm relieved, I thought my flax seed consumption was all for naught!

That books sounds interesting, I'll have to look for it in the local bookstore. I am such a huge fan of healthy fats these days. I feel so nourished when I know I'm consuming them.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #21  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry - I goofed. More research needed - I mis-remembered.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #22  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm all about the feel good Vities I take 2 Multis 2 fish oil 2 d 2 calcium (separately)a cayenne a b-complex liquid and Iron at night

(Mind you I had WLS so my vitamin consumption is higher than "normal")

in re to the cinamon a girl I work with has typ 1 Diabetes and says that her sugars are more stable with it
I also eat flax pretty much every day
good fiber good fat and it's like a scrub brush for your colon!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #23  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

My husband and I started drinking essiac tea not too long ago. All herbs. If you google it, tons of sites come up.
It has made us both feel great. It takes horrible, so I have been adding cinnamon to it. Extra cinnamon can't hurt! May be worth a try. I can't find it locally, so I order it online.

We also started growing and taking wheat grass shots every morning too. Between the two of those and a healthy diet, we both feel wonderful.

I keep flax seed in the fridge and grind it up fresh and use it a lot adding it to foods.

Last edited by femmecreole; 10-22-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #24  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
I'm relieved, I thought my flax seed consumption was all for naught!
It's not all for naught, FM, but if you're relying on it as your sole source of Omega-3s, you're not getting much. If you're replacing bad fats in your diet with ground flaxseed, then that's a good thing. But if you're aiming for Omega-3s, which really are valuable, you need to get them mostly from animal sources unless you have no other option.

If you have no reason to avoid fish oil capsules, you'd be best off taking them (being careful to find ones that have high amounts of EPA and DHA. As the quote posted said, you have to convert the ALA into EPA. If you aren't able to do that, it's wasted in terms of Omega-3s. On the other hand, if you take EPA and DHA straight, they can just go to work.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #25  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

FM hasn't been back since the 22nd so let's close this. 24 posts for three quick questions? Perhaps someone will volunteer to consolidate all the info in this thread and we can move it to the FAQ. (Hint! Hint! For anyone all alone and bored this weekend.)
Closed Thread