South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/130

Height: 5 ' 2"

Default steel cut oats

not sure if this is in the correct section, but just wanted to share.

Steel cut oats aka irish oats are very tasty, filling and a excellent way to start your day, or even eat any time of day, the only problem is they take at least 30 minutes to prepare.
here is what I do, basic ratio is 1 part oats to 4 parts liquid, ( I use milk and water mix)
placae 1 cup oats with 2 cups water into a bowl, leave this overnight ,or for a least a few hours( the oats will soften )
To this oat/water mixture add another 2 cups of liquid- I use ff milk.
In a heavy sauce pan, bring this mixture to boil, then simmer for about 5, until
desired thickness is achieved.
I divided this into containers, it freezer really well, just defrost and microwave for a quick breakfast.
also I like to add a tablesppon of peanut butter for added protein, I am full for at least 3-4 hours with this breakfast. ( a serving is about 3/4 cup of cooked oats)
june65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Great idea! Thanks! I have steered away from SCO because of the cooking time, but just like beans, the overnight soak is a great idea. Its nice to know the formula.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

There is a recipe for crockpot oats in the recipe files. In the winter we make "porridge" in the crockpot overnight. I usually combine steel cut oats, wheat or spelt berries (great texture) and quinoa. Sometimes I add amaranth, millet or other grains. Toss in some dried fruits and it's a great way to wake up in cold weather. I like walnuts too but add those in the bowl.

I'm going to give your technique a try when I just want enough for me thanks!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, June! This is a great idea. Let's leave it here in the main forum for a bit, so everyone has a chance to see it, then we can put it in the recipe forum so it doesn't get lost.

Here's a link to the crockpot oatmeal made with steel cut oats (it's awesome) and another option for morning hot cereal, made with wheat berries (I cooked up a huge batch of wheat berries and portioned them out, then froze 'em. Made making this porridge SO fast!)

Last edited by beachgal; 09-21-2009 at 08:27 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Glad I found this post. I am so sick of eggs, and my cottage cheese shake for breakfast! I got some quinoa which bf and I are going to try. Think I am going to do the portion and freeze method mentioned in this thread. He is excited because I told him it has a lot of protein. lol, he sees his muscles getting bigger already!! I am just so thrilled to have something new. And I will for sure be trying the oatmeal. I love oatmeal,and they serve it in the hospital cafeteria. But it is quick oats.

Anyone with suggestions on some good add ins? Want to avoid adding other grains.,.....looking more for fruits, spices, or SF syrups and the such!

Thanks!
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by obnurseonsb View Post

Anyone with suggestions on some good add ins? Want to avoid adding other grains.,.....looking more for fruits, spices, or SF syrups and the such!

Thanks!
I add cinnamon, splenda, unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk and a Tbs. of natural PB or almond butter to my daily oatmeal.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This time of year I like to add chopped apples, walnuts and cranberries to my oatmeal and steelcut oats. In the summer, I love peaches or fresh berries on it. My favorite topping in the spring is SF rhubarb sauce. Yummy!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

I have really enjoyed adding oatmeal to my diet......it does keep me full and satisfied until lunch time. I make mine with milk to help get my dairy in, a little stevia, cinnamon and once cooked I drizzle a little bit of SF maple syrup....its so GOOD!!!
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Default thanks

Yum, thanks for all the suggestions. I can't wait to try them. I actually just got a container of the Almond Breeze. It was only ok for drinking with dinner, but I will definitely use it in oatmeal and quinoa. Hopefully I can sneak it in some other recipes too.

I love fruit and nuts, so those will also definitely be thrown in! I love Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon, it is so bold. I think I need to do a little shopping tomorrow and pick up a new jar!
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote