Blood pressure

• Hello Beachers, Happy Sunday

As some of you know, I'll be headed back to the Beach shortly. I've had a trip away this past two days and am going back (to France) in two weeks time. After that I'm clear to do a clean P1.

Anyway, just found out that my blood pressure is too high. This has really scared me. Funny how we kind of mull over the health issues until we see actual numbers. My cholesterol was fine last time it was checked a couple of years ago, so I got a little complacent. I've got various muscular and joint aches and pains and I'm tired all of the time but I was still complacent. But the BP thing has scared me.

So, after all my rambling, have any of you seen good reductions in your BP stats since Beaching? I know it's great on the cholesterol readings but never heard about BP results. I'd like to hear your input.
  • Hi Artemis, and Happy Sunday to you!
    That's a shame about your blood pressure. I've never had issues with mine, but the South Beach Diet was designed specifically for heart patients from a cardiologist, so you should get great results if you follow it. I wish you much luck and please let us know how you're doing.
  • Hi cottage, thank you. It's probably been the wake up call I needed. i forgot Dr Agatson was a cardiologist ! I've not got my original SBD book but I do have the Supercharged one, I bet he talks about BP in there. I'll take a look .

I will be keeping in touch on this forum. When I did SBD back in 2004 or 2005 or whenever it was I found it so helpful to have all my online friends along with me!
  • Hi Artemis,

I went on a very low dose of BP meds about 3 years ago. I was pretty concerned because my understanding was high BP could do long term damage even if I was already losing weight and getting healthier. As I have lost more weight my bp has come down although I kept taking the meds.

I have an Omron digital BP tester at home and I check often. To my amazement, my BP actually went quite low about 6 weeks after starting SB. I monitored for awhile and made the decision to come of the medication. My suprise was because I had only lost 10 or 12 pounds when it went so low, and I attribute the change to my vigilant change in my diet. (no more white sugar or flour).

I have been off the meds for at least 2 months now. I just checked and my reading was 118/82. I'll take that!!!!

I am so happy to have one more thing go right with my body through eating healthy. My weight loss has slowed a bit because my life is a little kooky right now and I haven't been getting as much exercise lately. I really don't mind, because as long as I'm healthier, and follow SB principles, I know the weight loss will follow.

Best wishes!
  • Morning Artemis,
    I've been on BP meds for several years, but try to keep track of my BP just to see where I am. After 2 months on SB my pressure has dropped from 128/80 (with meds) to 90/55 (on average) so I've reduced my meds by half - thought I would take my BP for another month any maybe get off it all together. As of right now, my BP is still low even on a half a dose of medication.
  • Artemis - When I first started South Beach in 2004, my doctor had just added a diuretic for my blood pressure. I was already taking a beta blocker and an ACE inhibiter. Three medicines to try to keep my blood pressure normal and I was only 41. As I started to lose weight my blood pressure improved. My doctor monitored me closely and as I lost weight, she dropped medicines and reduced dosages. Exercise also made a huge difference in my blood pressure but so did losing the weight and I eventually got off all medicine for a year. As I got older, put a little of the weight back on and stopped exercising, I have had to go back on a low dose of Lisinopril. My doctor says I may never be able to totally go back off it but I was thrilled she is willing to work with me.

If your doctor does put you on medicine, please monitor your pressure closely. As I lost weight my heart rate went too low with the Toprol and I was glad she got me off it so quickly. Daily monitoring of your pressure is important.
  • More excellent motivation from all of you ladies.
    I need to discuss this more in depth with my doctor - and she does want to monitor me for a few weeks before putting me on any meds. i'd hope to lose some weight before that decision is made.

I get zero exercise and of course my food choices are generally appalling.
    This is probably the reality check I needed to finally get me going with this WOL.

Thanks again all of you.