3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Phase 1 with no dairy & no eggs? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/178994-phase-1-no-dairy-no-eggs.html)

carcar05 08-12-2009 12:55 PM

Phase 1 with no dairy & no eggs?

Hey Girls! I am starting Phase 1 today- I have always had a hard time with South Beach because I can not eat eggs or any forms of dairy (no cheese, no yogurt, no anything).

Any meal planning suggestions that might help me have some variety in what I'm eating on phase 1 and to still have snacks that are satisfying?

Ruthxxx 08-12-2009 04:03 PM

Hmmmm - it could be tricky. In one of your old posts you asked a similar question. Perhaps some of the suggestions in there might work for SBD. Fruit is not OK on Phase I but tofu scramble and the green shakes might be OK.

murphmitch 08-12-2009 05:56 PM

Tofu, soy based meat substitutes, soy cheeses, unsweetened soy or almond milk, beans, hummus, veggies, nuts and nut butters.

carcar05 08-12-2009 07:04 PM

Every time I try South Beach I run into this obstacle :) It usually gets the best of me and I give up but I'm going to just do it this time. Hoping for any new ideas or recipes that I can do. :)

Thanks girls!

CyndiM 08-12-2009 08:19 PM

It looks like people have made suggestions. Are there particular recipes you are looking for?

carcar05 08-12-2009 08:31 PM

A lot of the suggestions I've gotten before were when I wasn't trying South Beach. I can't have oatmeal or whole wheat toast for breakfast. I can't have cereals, I can't have eggs or anything with cheese in it. I can't have fruit. I don't know if South Beach will work for me. I want it to, but I don't know what to eat.

CyndiM 08-12-2009 08:38 PM

There are lots of old threads with breakfast alternatives and lots of recipes in the Phase 1 breakfast area. Many do contain dairy but many don't. It will take a little more sorting than most of us have to do but I think you will find some different ideas.

I don't usually eat either eggs or dairy in the morning. I'm a fan of refried beans with vegetables and salsa. When I want more protein I add soy protein crumbles or sausage but you could use turkey sausage.

ETA - leftovers are a great choice.

cottagebythesea 08-12-2009 09:25 PM

How about deli turkey or ham rolled up in lettuce leaves? Or a nice bowl of soup? Tofurkey Italian sausage is also very yummy and filling, rolled in lettuce with a baked tomato on the side.

Taco Bake also makes a lovely breakfast.

femmecreole 08-13-2009 06:18 AM

I agree with cottage. The breakfast police won't get you if you eat leftover dinner for breakfast. Have a turkey and spinach salad for breakfast! Or, cook a big batch of veggies once or twice a week.. a mixture, like squash, onions, peppers etc. Then throw some of that on top of spinach, add some protein to it and voila...fast breakfast!

CyndiM 08-13-2009 06:34 AM

Some ideas for eggless frittatas if you want more traditional "breakfast" foods:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recip...ta&egg-free=on

KO 08-13-2009 01:53 PM

I love Black Beans and Salsa for Breakfast!! Perhaps With some Vegan cheese?
Chili is good too
Luncheon meat or maybe a turkey burger?

lorijds 08-14-2009 12:35 PM

I am a tofu and tempeh addict, both of which you can eat on phase 1. Tofu scramble, baked tofu or tempeh marinated in and/or dipped in one of the phase 1 sauces or dressings, soy-based substitutes like morningstar patty sausages and burgers are all suggestions I would make.

And don't forget about your beans! Black beans, red beans, chick peas are all great on salads and in soups.

Don't forget your soups, either. There are many broth-based, veggie and bean soups--warm and cold--that can add variety to your diet.

It will probably take more planning than the typical SB dieter, but your food restrictions have ALWAYS taken more planning, haven't they? But then you became used to them and it wasn't even an issue any more, right? I'll bet it's the same with SB.

I'd hit your local health food store and see what sort of substitutes you can find.

Good luck!