3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Starting SB. Questions... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/176197-starting-sb-questions.html)

abbynormal278 07-08-2009 10:28 AM

Starting SB. Questions...

Hi Everyone! My name is Abby and I am just starting the SB Diet today! woo-hoo :carrot: Anyhow, that being said. If I choose to exercise (which I know isn't required) do you think that more weight will come off? I am currently 278 (AHHHHH! :o) and I want to lose it the most healthiest way possible. I am literally starting to get physically sick because of my weight. Otherwise, any advice would be greatly appreciated. This week I am starting the adventure of vegetable (never had ANY) so any not so yucky kinds would be appreciated.

Lexxiss 07-08-2009 10:49 AM

Hi Abby:sunny: and :welcome3:

There is a great "sticky" above which has all kinds of suggestions. The most important is to read the book. I got the "Supercharged" SB book from the library. I also did lots of looking through old posts.

Everyone is here to help. When I started on May 5, I understood it was really important not to cheat. Hard sometimes, but I believe it is instrumental in getting rid of the cravings that make it hard to stay OP.

I was already exercising before starting SB, so I'll leave that to someone else. I have lost 18# since starting, which I am really happy with. Our bodies are all different. What I remember daily is that if I expect this to be a miraculous short term fix, I will be disappointed. I am here for a change in lifestyle and patience is my word. If I change my lifestyle, the weight will come off, as my body lets it.

Best Wishes!

Barb0522 07-08-2009 10:54 AM

Welcome to the beach, Abby! Exercise will help burn calories which will help you lose weight but it will also add muscle which may cause a weight gain. That's why many people focus on how well their clothes fit or how many inches they have lost rather than the pounds. I met with a trainer earlier this week and he recommended that I be at about 152 if I exercise and get to 28% fat instead of the 33 I am now because I will be gaining lean muscle. I guess I'll see what I end up with. At one point I had gotten down to 140 when I was exercising regularly. I think you need to consider what your goals are. My primary goal is to be healthy (keeping cholesterol down, perhaps getting off my high blood pressure medicine, staying healthy and active for my son) and also looking better. The weight is just not as important to me. When I started South Beach in 2004, I was on 3 blood pressure meds and had high cholesterol and wore a size 18/20. Even though I let some weight creep back, I am so much healthier (and a size 10). Phase 1 is not a good time to start a new exercise program though so you may want to wait until phase 2 or at least start easy and make sure you are getting your beans and dairy so you have energy and don't suffer from the South Beach flu.

Check the recipe section. We've had posts where we talked about different vegetables.

CyndiM 07-08-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barb0522 (Post 2818002)
Welcome to the beach, Abby! Exercise will help burn calories which will help you lose weight but it will also add muscle which may cause a weight gain.

Based on everything I've read this whole effect has been seriously overstated, not that I don't like that explanation when I can't get the darned scale to move ;) It seems the weight gain from building muscle is actually pretty minimal and muscle is far more efficient at burning calories so should more than balance. Here's one article: http://health.msn.com/fitness/articl...ntid=100212101

IMO regular exercise is really important not only to lose weight but to keep it off. However you might want to add exercise slowly while in Phase 1 because your body just might not have enough energy for added exercise. Once you are in Phase 2 though go for it :)

femmecreole 07-08-2009 11:16 AM

Hey Abby....
I think the real trick is just to take it day by day at first and get through phase 1 and maybe get a couple of weeks of phase 2 under your belt before starting a serious exercise program. Maybe just a little light walking for now?

I didn't really start exercising till I lost a lot of weight and felt good. You will be amazed how much better you feel physically after a while. This is just my thoughts, but if you throw too many things at your body at once then it could lead to giving up if you overdo it.

Can't give any advice on learning to love veggies cause I've always loved them (except for beets and turnip greens..ick!) but a huge salad made of spinach leaves and turkey and chopped up veggies is one of my favorite things to eat. This time of year there are so many fresh veggies around that it's easy to chop up a bunch of all different kinds and keep them marignated in the fridge..quick snack to grab, or in a salad or rolled up in turkey, it will help keep the hungries away!

moncheree 07-08-2009 12:52 PM

Welcome. Exercise should always be a requirement in a healthy lifestyle. No vigerous activity during Phase 1, though.

Chelby29 07-08-2009 01:31 PM

Abby, Welcome to SBD! My very favorite way to cook any veggie is to roast it. Summer squash, brussel sprouts, green beans, tomatoes, onions... Cut your veggies into chunks. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning. Bake at 400* for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through. The veggies get caramelized and yummy. Good Luck! :)

michigangirl 07-08-2009 01:50 PM

Welcome Abby, You will find many helpful ideas and recipes here to guide you thru phase 1. Salads are my main stay even when I am not dieting, but you will find that having bite size veggies ready in the fridge is a positive thing now. Stop back frequently for answers when something puzzles you. I have found tremendous help and support here. Linda

SunshineCA 07-08-2009 02:11 PM

Hi Abby! :)

Just wanted to welcome you to South Beach Living and to 3 Fat Chicks! :)

abbynormal278 07-08-2009 02:13 PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I am STARVING right now because I found a new enemy--Turkey Bacon and Eggs. It was horrible! I am going to find something good (and SB friendly) to eat right now as I feel soooo tired.

SunshineCA 07-08-2009 02:24 PM

Curious? What happened with the turkey bacon and eggs?

abbynormal278 07-08-2009 02:50 PM

I haven't had eggs in years, and I was turned off by the way the turkey bacon looked, and it just tasted processed to me. I really wanted to like it though. But I can see that I am going to be eating a lot of leftovers for breakfast on this diet :)

Lexxiss 07-08-2009 02:52 PM

Lots of us eat leftovers for breakfast.

Chelby29 07-08-2009 03:30 PM

Try Canadian Bacon. It's good.

abbynormal278 07-08-2009 04:20 PM

I was thinking about canadian, isn't that kind of like ham?