Thin and Thankful Thursday Thoughts

• Good Morning

Ruth and Cottage, I know you're out there. Thought I'd step out on a limb this morn and give a shout.

We're up for another blue sky Colorado day. I'm glad to be home. Our drive to the homestead with all our stops took exactly 12 hours. We had a great day and took lots of pictures. The doggies enjoyed the trip and got to hang out in the shade while we enjoyed our picnic. Cyndi, I thought of you. We saw so many birds-ones I don't usually see. We ate healthy and I had a special dinner when we got home-Colorado cherries. That's it. They were so tasty! Back OP today....biking...swimming and gardening. Moms still visiting.

Whats up with you all? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks as always for all the great support! It really helps.
  • Morning Lex! Thanks for getting us started. Your day yesterday sounds like so much fun...and fresh cherries...yum!!!! They are so expensive here, but I've been getting them anyway since we don't get them all year long.

I've been outside getting sprinklers started and "de furring" my dogs. They are a shedding bunch! Got a new shed comb a couple of weeks ago that is working wonders on them.

Today we are going to go get a new brake tag (I think the rest of the world calls them inspection stickers!) and go to the grocery and later go see that Johnny Depp Dillanger movie.

When we got to the Dentist yesterday my son decided to go the route where he would get a root canal, then they would do a crown for his missing tooth. When they began, they then realized there was just not enough left to even deal with as it broke at the gum line. So they ended up having to pull it. They are going to put in a "flipper" next week and then have to do an implant. The implant will take over a month to do and he is supposed to leave in three weeks. What a mess. I felt so sorry for him. He has never even had a cavity (none of my kids did) and is in a lot of pain and doesn't want to take the pain meds they gave him. He finally broke down and took one last night. It's hard feeding him right now as he does not eat soup. Oatmeal and yogurt are about it.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • Thanks for starting us up, Debbie, and I admire the alliteration! By the way, anyone can start the daily so please don't hang around until us lazy MODs get in here.

Well, Cottage is now well on her way to the US border. We had a great visit, the dogs adored her, we got some things done, she met lots of "Deltoids" and now knows part of what my life is like. Now I need to get back to real life and resume normal programming.

Donna comes to clean today and I will be spending a lot of time making pie fillings - lemon and coconut cream. (The shells are all baked and ready for filling.) It'll be a "normal" day on the home front today - I hope! It's the day I was supposed to cook a turkey for the Church dinner but I got excused from that. I'm sure I'll manage to fill the day.

Have a lovely Thursday!
  • Good morning

Debbie - Your day sounds lovely

Cat - What a challenge for your son and for his Mom. Hope the pain subsides.

Ruth - Sounds like you and Cottage had a really nice visit. Did you count dogs before she left?! I don't know how you manage to make all those pies. I would be sneaking tastes all day.

Well it's raining here again this morning. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't. Last night's event was really interesting. I'm looking forward to the actual series airing in September. If you are a fan of National Parks keep an eye on your PBS listings in the fall. The clips were fascinating and the Q & A even more.

We are going out again tonight. We never go out twice in a week. Rarely even twice in a month! Tonight we are doing dinner and DP is playing the Open Mic. She has a show there next week so it's advertising

My old boss would have sprung us early on the day before a long weekend but that probably won't happen today. Ah well, I have a lot going on next week so might as well get some work done

If you have plenty of sunshine could you send some my way?
  • I forgot what I meant to tell ya'll!!
    Yesterday at the dentist's office I was looking at a diabetes magazine (I think I read every magazine in there!) They had a wonderful looking recipe for "beef stroganoff", but instead of beef they used portobello mushrooms and instead of sour cream used greek yogurt. The rest of the recipe was the same as a beef stroganoff...tomato paste, onions, seasonings etc. And of course served over whole grain pasta. I'm going to give it a try and I'll bet it would be great over quinoa too.
  • Hello chicks, sorry I've been absent for a while. We had a nice long weekend at the beach, which we really needed because Friday before we left I found one of our kitties dead in my neighbor's front yard, so things started off on a very sad note.

Even though we got back Monday night, I still haven't finished packing and haven't attacked the laundry. I had a busy couple of days at work and had to go to Quantico yesterday. Plus, I've had a pounding headache. It was so bad on the beltway yesterday I had to pull over. Today it seems much better, hopefully I can get rid of it completely.

I'm looking forward to another long weekend, as DH and I are both off tomorrow. DH said he plans to take the kids to the pool. I'm psyched about Saturday too, DH works on a ship that's docked in Baltimore Harbor, and we can go on it to watch the fireworks. He says we'll be able to see the barge they shoot from. I'm going to pack a nice picnic, and the kids will enjoy getting a tour of the ship. I love having a great fireworks viewing spot without having to be in the crowds. One year we watched from the roof of the Science Center in Baltimore, and one year I was working at Naval Research Lab in DC, on the Anacostia River, and we took a picnic down to the river bank for the 4th. Great vantage point and we didn't even see any dead bodies float by.

Well, I guess our cottage is headed home today. I hope she doesn't hit holiday traffic, and gets back to us safely.
    Ruth, I'm so glad you gals had a nice visit. I'm dying to know what you talked about!
    Cat, a liquid diet sounds no fun. By the way, I feel really badly for the poor girl friend. How is she doing? Thanks as always for sharing the great recipes!
    Cyndi, we had a rainy day yesterday, but today looks nice so far. Sure wish I could share it with you. By the way, I scored 6 bottles of 2008 Beaujolais Nouveau at the beach. Last year was a great year for Beaujolais but I couldn't get my hands on any around here last fall. I wanted to buy a case but they only had the 6. I'll save you a glass tomorrow.
    Good morning Lexxis, sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday with your mom.
    Barb, congrats on the new car! DH wants to take advantage of the cash for clunkers program and get a hybrid. We have an old Caravan that we don't drive much anymore now that the kids are older and one out of the house. However, all the Caravans from 1996 - 2002 qualify, except for the 2000's, which is what we have! For some reason ours gets 19mpg instead of the 18 the others get. He hasn't given up hope yet though. It'd be nice, since the blue book value on it is only $2500.
  • 'Mornin' everyone!

Thanks for starting us up, Debbie! Anyone is welcome to start the Daily thread: if more than one is started, one of us mods will just merge them together, so no worries, okay? I'm sure Ruth and Cottage will be glad to know it's up and running so they could sleep in a wee bit after celebrating Canada Day!

I'm just popping in to work--I got an unexpected day off, so this is a quickie. Have a great day everyone!
  • Ruth - I'm glad you and cottage had such a wonderful time. Are you going to have a June weight loss results thread? For once I actually lost the 3 I planned on (and more).

Lexxiss - I've never been to Colorado. I've got a friend that just moved to Denver and wants me to visit while Brian is with his dad but I'm not sure I feel comfortable.

Cat - I've had many root canals and know how much pain he must be in. I hope it can be finished before he has to leave somehow.

Cyndi - Have fun when you go out. Hmm, I wonder if they'll spring us early. They usually do before a long weekend and we do have tomorrow off.

schmoodle - I did some research yesterday and it appears only some hybrids still get a tax break. Looks like Ford's do some I'm good there. I really love it but Don is right, I need to learn to drive more smoothly. It's cool the way it shows the mpg.

I may not love having payments but I'm going to really enjoy this car. And Don gets my old one and the 20mpg that it gets is better than his F250 pickup. Now he'll just drive the truck when he truly needs it. I think Brian is going to be so surprised when I pick him up Saturday in this.

I went over to Don's last night and he fixed steak and corn on the cob for his neighbor and I and then I hung around watching TV until late. We're planning to do the same thing tonight. It's a lot more fun than hanging out at the house alone. We may try the refrigerator swap today depending on his work. We've just got to figure out how to get the new one through the door. Don had a sliding glass door in his old house and I just have a French door in mine.
  • Morning girls!

Hope you all have a great day on tap- I know I do. We are headed out for a swim/playdate here in a bit. Should be fun and relaxing! This week and the next are kind of my "real" summer as there isn't much going on at all. The other weeks seem to fill up with teacher inservices, church activities and things.

Barb Congrats on your new car!!! Sounds like things are going well with you and Don.

Cottage Safe travels! Can't wait to "visit" more with you when you get home.

I have no scale at home right now, so when I stop at my parents today to water my mom's plants, I will weigh and update my ticker. Kinda scared actually!

Have a fab-u-lous day!
  • Kiko - Things are going very well with Don and I. We've been taking things very slowly (if you know what I mean) but we've gotten very close. We've tangled ourselves together quite nicely. He's also working with me on training the dog. Rex really listens to him. And Brian likes him. What more can I ask?
  • Barb I am so, so happy for you. You deserve only the best!
  • Hello everyone sounds like you are super busy but doing some fun things. Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend if they have one.

Today is super busy at work must be everyone trying to get ready for long weekend. Tonight I am going to go with DD2 to pick up some party favors for her bd party next week.

Have a great day everyone
  • I think I may have started the Daily ONCE, back when I worked for Hollywood Video and had to be in Indianapolis by 8 central time or something. The mods just get up earlier than I do! (Most people get up earlier than I do!)

*SNEEZE* Ugh it's one of thoooose days. Tommy says I'm the "most sneezinest" girl he's ever met. He's the one that insists on opening the windows! Although, I do like the lower electric bill.

Been helping him study for his massage boards. I'm learning how to pronounce ALL KINDS of new words today, and learning a ton of information about human anatomy. For example: "What are large glands in the axillary region? A: Arrector pili, B: Sudoriferous glands, C: Apocrine glands, or D: Seborrhea." Well it's CLEARLY Apocrine glands. Duh. How about a little challenge?

I was always a math and grammar girl. In fact, I did well with every subject EXCEPT biology. Just never interested me. Tom's the science nut. God love him. I would love to become a massage therapist but don't know if I could handle going to school for it (although after helping him study for the boards for 3 weeks, I'll probably be able to pass them, myself!)

It's my last week of no work, and I'm definitely taking it easy! I had a fabulous Mary Kay show last night, so I'm just going to lie around and be lazy today. I should do some dishes and laundry though, and I definitely need to get cleaned up so I can go to the bank and deposit the money I made last night. So ok, maybe I'm not going to be TOTALLY lazy. I just have been so far.

Thinking about some lunch.... maybe a big ol' salad with LF cottage cheese. That sounds good to me today. I miss the Phase 2 Menu Thread. I like seeing what everyone else eats. Gives me good ideas for home, since usually I'm making non-SBD foods for Tommy and Little Guy.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day!

Lisa
  • So here I am, all home safe and sound. I left Ruth's at 6:30 this morning, and could have made it home by 1:30 if I didnt' stop to pick up some groceries first. So that's not too bad.

It's good to be home, but I had such a nice visit with Ruth! I think she really enjoyed eating vegetarian all week, but I bet she's sitting down in front of a big juicy rare steak right about now.

Well, I guess I should give Jake some special attention. You know how the old saying about absence makes the heart grow fonder.
  • Cottage, glad you got home safely! Enjoy your... erm.... special attention time.