Stuck on 140

• I am not gaining..not losing...

I got to 139 but now I am back at 140.

I think I may return to Phase 1 to get the scale unstuck..
    Maybe I am drinking less water??

Just whining

Does anyone else have achey joints if they eat MSG??
  • Hi Nancy

The msg is the easy question for me. I get absolutely horrid multi-day migraines if I get too much MSG in my diet. I know I get some because it is almost impossible to avoid and you can't always tell if it's in something. It's a lot easier to avoid now that I don't eat much processed food.

I know you want to get your weight lower, I really do hear you on that. Your body however, may not want to go any lower. You are already at a healthy weight and your body may really be holding on to the little bit of fat it has. I've spent the last year trying to get down to 135 and it just isn't happening. I've mostly accepted that but every so often I try again. The results are always the same - I see 136 a couple of times and then I settle back in at 137 - 138. The only way to get lower would be to seriously ramp up exercise in a way I just don't have time for and couldn't possibly maintain. I don't think Phase 1 will do anything for you at your weight unless you have cravings to get rid of. Focusing on fitness rather than numbers is a better goal at our weight. Check your fat percentage and your measurements and set goals around those things and let the number go. At least that's what I'm trying to do
  • Oh my...I am so there with you. The last few weeks I have gained a lost the same pound. Each week it would be a different pound, but this week it has been that 139#. Hopefully next week I will go back and forth between 138 and 139. It's so frustrating!!! As we all know the last 10 are the hardest to lose. I am not doing South Beach; I am counting calories. I have been working out 6 days a week but am trying to add something on the off day. Not sure what advice I can give you, but hang in there...it will go away eventually!!!
  • There's an idea about weight loss called the "Set Point theory"- the idea is that your body finds a place where it's happy, and will adjust it's metabolism to stay at that point. For example, if you're at your set point and cut calories to try to lose weight, your body will lower it's metabolism to try to stay in equilibrium (and vice versa works too). It's just a thought, but have you considered whether your body wants to stay at that point?
  • And I should change my own ticker, but it's not that important to me. I got to 122 once, but my body really, really prefers being around 123-124. Well, it did. Now, on maintenance, it's at 124-125, but I'm okay with that...because I occasionally have (shhhhhh!) non beachy food.

But, it took me 4 1/2 mos to lose 20 lbs. How long have you been trying? It does come off slowly for those of us trying to lose small amounts.
  • Very good points everyone!!

Cindi.. I think you are right about the exercise..I should focus on that
    and keep eating healthy.

Jacque... I am bummed that my 139 went to 140 ..then I keep hoping it is just water... I need something radical to do when I gain a pound (like
    just protein shakes for a day or so) to get that pound back off.

Kelly 315... My body must really love 140..I still think with my small frame
    it isn't as heathy as I want to be. I was 124 in my 20's and 30's and even after kids. That felt right... I still think 130 would be close to ideal for me.

Twynn...Your success sound great!! I think it is great you can "cheat"
    a little but still get back on track. I have been trying for years with different diets and gradually I have moved from 156 to 140. I am definitely on the slow track.

I have so many clothes I am almost back into and since I am getting ready to go back to work and the budget is tight it would be really helpful
    to get back into those clothes.

No more excuses...
    I have time,
    and nice weather,
    and nice trials,
    and my son's puppy who loves a walk.

I need to set a time to walk so I don't put it off all day and then run out of time. I think afternnon is something I can stick with when I start working.
  • i would focus on exercise...especially weight lifting you can lose more inches without seein the scale change but see a definate change in your body