South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 210/178/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Jnine: I'd trade some of your height for some of my weight loss this week. I know that doesn't lessen your frustration. Hope these suggestions (posted by experience SBers) work for you.

I'm finishing up the 3rd week, or 1st Week of Phase 2. I had a hard time finding carbs that met SB criteria (Minimum: less than 2 g sugar but more than 3 grams fiber) for whole grain breads/crackers. I've been adding back only one serving per day, along with whole fruit, and have continued to lose.

Not feeling any cravings. But surely am tired of cooking. I feel as though I haven't cooked this much in years. What meals are "easy" from a cooking and clean up standpoint, anyone?

Last edited by PulleezThisTime; 05-28-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #17  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulleezThisTime View Post
Not feeling any cravings. But surely am tired of cooking. I feel as though I haven't cooked this much in years. What meals are "easy" from a cooking and clean up standpoint, anyone?
I usually make enough when making supper to last for 2 meals, so I don't have to cook as often. Chicken breasts are my go to meal. I saute them in olive oil or throw them on the George Foreman. I also cook up whatever veggies I have in my fridge and make enough to last a couple days. If I'm really pressed to time, I open a can of beans, mix with salsa and a little RF cheese and pop in the microwave. It's fast and it's healthy.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #18  

Thanks Beachgal for your response-

My reason for wanting to be between 147-155 are to be between 18-20% BF. What are your reasons for wanting to hit your goal weight? I'm a former collegiate basketball and track athlete so have never really been a cardio bunny. I do HIIT, which is High Intensity Interval Training, and weight lifting. I also don't believe in "yo-yo" dieting.

I have to respectfully disagree with several of your points. I do not subscribe to the marketing hype that it is necessary to move into Phase II and have yet to find one medical study that states that staying in ketosis, unless you are a diabetic, for a long period of time is dangerous. Ketosis is often confused with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition.

I am able to stay under 20g of carbs in Phase 1 eating fruit, oatmeal, flax seed and even goji berries and continue to be in ketosis and if any one of us truly believed that our bodies were at a "homeostatis" weight, so to speak, then we would eat what we wanted in moderation without the need for South Beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers or any other WOE.

Your sister looks absolutely fabulous in her bikini but I am going for a more toned, muscular look like Jamie Eason or Alicia Marie which can only be achieved by shedding my fat and building my muscle. My body and I are in a battle of wills and until my body succumbs Phase 1 must go on because I absolutely refuse to be defeated by hormones, processed breads or starches, or by my own body :-) (trumpets sounding)

P.S. I'm supplementing my diet through Vitamins, Supplements, BCAA, and Trace Minerals!

Additional good reading:

biblelife.org/history.htm
Body Opus by Lyle Macdonald
Eating Clean by Tosca Reno
Old 05-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #19  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnine View Post
I am able to stay under 20g of carbs in Phase 1 eating fruit, oatmeal, flax seed and even goji berries and continue to be in ketosis .
Fruit, oatmeal and goji berries would be Phase II though, not Phase I.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #20  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Murphmitch, you are absolutely correct.

Jnine, another thing is that South Beach isn't about counting carbs. Are you thinking of Atkins? That's not what this WOE is about. Ph1 is for detoxing the body so you're rid of cravings, Ph2 & Ph3 are for eating healthy foods for a healthy lifestyle, and being overall healthy. No processed foods. For example, if man made it, don't eat it. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean meats, legumes, etc. Stuff God gave us to eat before we poisoned it with preservatives and other things that are harmful to our bodies.

Try reading the book first. Maybe it will give you a better understanding of what this WOE is, and then you won't be so frustrated with your lack of weight-loss.

Good luck to you!

Lisa
Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #21  
Macros!!

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'0"

If I understand correctly, it's not about the number of carbs you consume, it's the way your body reacts to the carbs you eat. So your body might be reacting to the carbs you're eating and your blood sugar level is keeping you from losing the weight. There's a reason phase 1 says no fruits and grains.

Last edited by ArmyAng; 05-31-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #22  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnine View Post
Thanks Beachgal for your response-
I am able to stay under 20g of carbs in Phase 1 eating fruit, oatmeal, flax seed and even goji berries and continue to be in ketosis and if any one of us truly believed that our bodies were at a "homeostatis" weight, so to speak, then we would eat what we wanted in moderation without the need for South Beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers or any other WOE.
Jnine, I'm glad that you have a specific reason for your goal weight. However, I have to note that your posts may be extremely confusing to those who are new to South Beach (SBD). I just want to confirm, for those who are reading and are confused, SBD does not involved carb counting, ketosis, or staying on Phase 1 any longer than 2 weeks.

I'm not sure what plan you're following, but it doesn't sound like SBD--it sounds like you're taking some ideas from lots of different places and doing what you feel is working for you, which is fine. However, it's too different from SBD for us to give much advice. SBD doesn't allow for ketosis at any phase. We never count carbs, but we do stay away from all fruit (except for tomatoes and bell peppers) in Phase 1, and avoid all grains, including oatmeal. That's why it's NOT healthy for us to stay in Phase 1 for an extended period. What you're calling Phase 1 is very different, so it may be safe to stay in it for longer. I wouldn't know.

If you are eating a balanced diet (which it sounds like you are), there's no reason why you can't continue what you're doing. I'd check with your doctor if you aren't following someone's pre-designed plan, just to make sure, but if you feel it works for you without endangering your health, that's great. But it's not South Beach, and because it's so different, I don't think any of us can really tell you much about why it is or isn't working. Sorry about that, but I wish you luck! You may want to post in one of the more general forums here at 3FC to learn more.

Last edited by beachgal; 06-01-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #23  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My thoughts exactly. I am now closing this thread as it may be confusing to new people.
Closed Thread