So Irritated

• I am just SO irritated!! The artificial sweeteners are really screwing me up. I blogged about it AND decided to give them up, but I really need to vent so I don't go off and eat something stupid!

The first week of Phase 1, I only used artificial sweeteners VERY sparingly. No ricotta or other desserts. Water to drink. I used a teaspoon of agave in my tea (never more than 2 tsp a day) but nothing else sweet. I dropped 8 lbs.

The second week, I started making artificial sweetener desserts. I gave in and bought sugar free fudgesicles but never had more than one in a day. I got ricotta and started adding splenda to it. I started getting a "skinny latte" from Starbucks almost every day (a small one... nonfat milk, no sugar in it). I stayed well within my calorie range, still (about 1500/day on average). But I only lost ONE pound.

I thought maybe it was just slowing down after a good first week, but then in the last couple of days I have had cravings for stupid stuff like splenda mixed with cocoa and 1T nut butter, or cocoa and splenda in plain yogurt. I still stayed within the guidelines but in the past 2 days I GAINED TWO POUNDS!! WTH!

I know there are normal fluctuations. I've been doing this long enough to know that. BUT my body has been very predictable: if I am "on plan," I always drop a few pounds during TOM and again mid-cycle. Then plateau in between. Well, I am mid cycle and this is the time I would expect to have gone DOWN a few pounds. When I weighed this morning I was sooo irritated. I am just mad because it takes SO MUCH effort to lose weight but then it can go back up in an instant.

I know my body well enough to realize that *if* I fix the dietary problem (which I think is artificial sweeteners), that 2 lbs will drop back off within a couple of days. I am just annoyed that I have to stay so focused all the time.

Okay, vent over, fudgesicles in the trash can, no more coffees. Back to business...
  • Feel better now?
  • LOL, yes Ruth, thank you
  • guess i'm lucky that i hate all articial sweeteners...the only thing i even like with them in are sf jello, pudding or jam.

i tried the hot chocolate recipe once and didn't even finish it all i could taste was the splenda
  • yeah... I'm not a fan of artificial sweetners anyway, and if you notice it's causing cravings or stalling your weight loss, I'd definitely dump it in the bin too!

but if you are getting a tall skinny latte from Starbucks "no sugar" I guess that means you were putting artificial sweetner in there yourself? (just curious - because I drink a triple tall skinny latte every day, but I add *nothing* to mine)
  • Quote: but if you are getting a tall skinny latte from Starbucks "no sugar" I guess that means you were putting artificial sweetner in there yourself? (just curious - because I drink a triple tall skinny latte every day, but I add *nothing* to mine)
    The flavored lattes (I get hazelnut) use artificially sweetened syrup in them. You don't add it yourself.

I have never had a problem with stalled loss or cravings related to use of artificial sweeteners. They have only enhanced my ability to stay with my eating plan and I'd die without my Coke Zero. Maybe you'll have a big "whoosh" loss soon!
  • ah ok, but then i would have called it a tall SF Hazelnut Skinny latte Got it.

I never use sweetners in anything really. Not real sugar, not fake sugar. If I really need/want it, I'll have some honey (like in yoghurt) or just a spoonful of the real stuff.
  • Skinny latte = nonfat with artificial sweetener...
    Nonfat latte = nonfat milk with no sweetener

But I am done with them anyway, at least for the most part. Maybe if I am out and about, once or twice a month, but that's it.

I actually had a whole grain english muffin (half) with peanut butter, and a whole grapefruit for breakfast this morning. Guess Phase 1 is over for me... I can't really take more than 2 weeks of it! I shouldve had some egg whites with it tho...
  • I feel your pain! I'm in much the same place, though I don't think for the same reasons. I used artificial sweeteners from the start and also lost 8 lbs, but I've been gaining/losing about half a pound to 1.5 lbs every since, just hovering around the same point. It's so frustrating to lose a bunch of weight and suddenly stall.

Good luck with chucking the art. sweeteners and getting moving again!
  • It's pretty normal to stall after beginning Phase II. Just hang in there and be patient and the weight loss (albeit slower in Phase II) will start up again.
  • When I transitioned from P1 to P2, my loss stalled for almost three weeks. I toyed with cutting out artifical sweeteners at that point, but I'm with Anne... if I couldn't treat myself with a Diet Coke or SF pudding, there is no way I could stick with SBD.
  • Oh I know it slows down with Phase 2, but I was still on phase 1! It was my second week of phase one, and thats why it was soooo annoying!! Do I sound still annoyed? Don't mind me... it's been spring break with a pack of teenagers and a toddler, and a husband out of town. I am going mad...
  • mine slowed after week one...lost alot first week then slowed way down
  • Lyn, I'm glad you're figuring out what works for you.
  • Lynn, you've started me thinking. I use a lot of Splenda and have always said that it helps me stay on-plan. But, maybe it has a lot to do with my slow weight loss.