South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #1  

Default What are your favorite phase 1 foods?

Hi. I am new here, so if this has been discussed ad nauseaum, I am so sorry. I am just sitting here planning out my phase 1 meal plan and am at a loss on 2 whole weeks worth of food.

This is a favorite of mine: It might not be 100% phase 1 compatible, but I think it is pretty darn close: I think I got the idea from an SBD book, but then put my own twist on it. Its been a while since I read the books.

I cook a spaghetti squash and scrape out the insides and season with a little garlic salt and pepper. Then, I saute shrimp and scallops in a small amount of olive oil. (I buy my shrimp and scallops in the frozen section and defrost and cook when ready for them. Oh, and sometimes I like to boil the shrimp with one of those seasoning bags) I add that to the top of the spaghetti squash and toss it all together with a small amount of melted butter, some shredded Parmesan cheese, and my absolute favorite herb, cilantro. It is good I think this time I am also going to add some diced tomatoes.

Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.

-Heather
meeko77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

First of all, Heather, :welcome; to The Beach.

That recipe sounds just great for Phase I. Please check out the Recipe section for other great ideas. The ones with all the stars are our favourites.

I'm sure the other Beachies will be along with their very favourites but mine is the Taco Bake.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #3  

Aww thanks. I feel like a dunce now. I didn't even know about the recipe section. Sorry, should have read better before I posted.

Thanks for the welcome. I have done SBD before, and was successful, and I have made a few attempts here and there lately, but didn't stay serious. Its time for me to get serious though. I hate being this heavy.
meeko77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #4  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

You're going to love the recipes section, it's such a life saver! If you look through all that but are still looking for ideas, check out the blog called Kalyn's Kitchen. She's got tons of great recipes there, and all of them (or maybe like 99%) are South Beach friendly.

Good for you setting up a meal plan in advance, it makes a huge difference. I did it this time around (we're on Day 5 of Phase 1) and it's been a colossal help.

Here are some of our (me and my bf) favorite P1 meal ideas:
  • Steak with tons of sauteed mushrooms and a side salad (be sure to sautee in olive oil, not butter)
  • Fajitas - strips of steak or chicken with peppers, onions, and sometimes mushrooms (make your own fajita sauce)
  • Really simple grilled chicken with black beans (or fat free refried beans) and your choice of SBD-friendly sauce like hot sauce, salsa, or sugar free BBQ if you can find it

Oh and your recipe sounds great! Be sure to add it to the recipe section - but change the butter to olive oil, that's the only non-SBD thing I see there.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote