3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Vegetarians on SB (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/167581-vegetarians-sb.html)

GirlyGirlSebas 03-24-2009 01:01 PM

Vegetarians on SB

Rikki, I noticed that your signature shows you are a vegetarian. Can you and any other vegetarians on SB share your ideas for following SB? Hubby and I have decided to go back on SB tomorrow. We've been out of our SB mind for a while now. :D My 12 year old daughter is a vegetarian, therefore, we like to make most of our meals vegetarian. Are you limited to beans/legumes, nuts and dairy products for protein?

One other question for all of you...I can't remember if exercise is encouraged or discouraged during phase 1.

Thanks!

mizski 03-24-2009 01:23 PM

I follow the SBD vegetarian plan mainly for its whole food attributes. The protein sources are beans/legumes, eggs, cheese and soy products. I can't have soy so substitute fish, poultry, eggs or some kind of bean/legume dish.

When I could have soy, I used a lot of TVP and Morningstar Farms products. Tofu and tempeh are other choices.

Dairy (cow/almond/rice/soy milk and yogurt) is considered dairy ;) and not a protein and nuts are listed by SB to be fat/carb exchanges. Both do contain protein, just not enough to be considered a protein option.

I'll look up some of my SBD veg menus and post them for ideas. :)

p.s. I don't remember anything being said about not exercising during PH1. I don't think it should be heavy exercise though as you aren't having enough carbs to support that.

ETA: In addition to the regular food lists for all phases:

SOY-BASED MEAT SUBSTITUTES

Unless otherwise stated, look for products that have 6 grams of fat or less per 2-3 ounce serving

Seitan
Soy bacon
Soy burger
Soy chicken, unbreaded
Soy crumbles 1/4 cup (2 oz.) suggested serving size
Soy hot dogs
Soy sausage patties and links
Tempeh 1/4 cup suggested serving size
Tofu (all varieties) 1/2 cup suggested serving
Yuba (bean curd on sheet)

Some of the SBD Veg menu suggestons. There are other desserts such as the ricotta cremes, pistachio bark, chocolate cups, etc. but I try to stick with the fruits.

Tuesday

Breakfast
Tofu Breakfast Scramble

Midmorning Snack
Nut Butter and Whole Grain Crackers

Lunch
Tabbouleh with Grilled Vegetables
Tempeh

Midafternoon Snack
Hummus and Celery Sticks

Dinner
Veggie Chili
Mixed Field Greens

Dessert
Berry Medley

Wednesday

Breakfast
Zucchini Frittata

Midmorning Snack
Black-Eyed Pea Spread
Cucumber Slices

Lunch
Vegetarian Burger
Quick Vegetable Ragout

Midafternoon Snack
Baba Ghannouj w/assorted raw veggies

Dinner
Apricot, Goat Cheese and Pistachio Salad (I use fresh mozzarella or feta)
Whole Grain Roll

Dessert
Pear with Ricotta

Thursday

Breakfast
Decaffeinated Coffee or Tea with Nonfat Milk and Sugar Substitute
Oatmeal Pancake

Midmorning Snack
Granny Smith Apple with Peanut Butter

Lunch
Rumi Chopped Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

Midafternoon Snack
Mixed Nuts

Dinner
Smoked Tofu
Mixed Field Greens
Ragout of Red Kidney Beans in a Spicy Smoked Pepper & Tomato Fondue

Dessert
Fresh Strawberries

Friday

Breakfast
Scrambled Egg Burritos

Midmorning Snack
Sweet Pepper Sticks with Mozzarella

Lunch
Whole Wheat Pita
Sugar Snap Salad
Herbed White Bean Puree

Midafternoon Snack
Cottage Cheese and Cucumbers

Dinner
Sauté of Cauliflower & Mustard Greens with Peanuts

Dessert
Fresh Strawberries with Lime Zest Ricotta Creme

GirlyGirlSebas 03-24-2009 02:50 PM

Mizski, Thank you! Some of those menu options look delish. Are the recipes in one of the books? I really like the sounds of the apricot, goat cheese and pistachio salad. The saute' with Cauliflower and Mustard Greens sounds good, too.

rdw1 03-24-2009 06:14 PM

Check out Kalyn's Kitchen for some great vegetarian options as well- she has a section that is just vegetarian...

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...an-dishes.html

beachgal 03-25-2009 09:33 AM

:welcome3: back, GGSebas! We've missed you! If you do a search, you'll find many, many threads in the forum about doing SBD as a vegetarian.

I think it's wonderful that you're supportive of your daughter's lifestyle choice--so many kids find that their parents don't support them.

We've also been trying to add the word "vegetarian" to the titles of items in the recipe forum that are veggie-safe, so you can search there, too. There are a lot of great recipes!

As for exercise, you are recommended to stick with what you've normally been doing, exercise-wise, in P1. So, if you were regularly exercising, it's okay to keep it up. But if you weren't exercising, hold off on starting up until Phase 2. Make sense?

Schmoodle 03-25-2009 11:44 AM

Rhonda, that salad - pistachios/goat cheese/dried apricots is to die for. Summer before last I think I ate it for lunch every single day. Can't wait until my greens are ready for picking to have it again!