3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Cool Whip... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/166984-cool-whip.html)

Artemis__ 03-16-2009 12:47 PM

Cool Whip...

Hi Chicks. I have problems getting some of the ingredients that I read about here, (I'm in England) and my latest mission is to find an equivalent for Cool Whip.
Would any of you be kind enough to list the ingredients and how many carbs are in each serving?
I've found something here that looks similar, but it does seem to contain sugar. It's a whipped cream in a spray can - is that what Cool Whip is? There's a full fat and a light version available here.

Ruthxxx 03-16-2009 01:15 PM

Google and ye shall find. This is for the regular Cool Whip which is definitely not Phase I. I never buy the stuff but I think it comes frozen in a plastic container and you spoon it out.
I have had pretty good luck chilling canned condensed milk and whipping it but generally avoid desserts.
Some of the other Chicks may be of more help.

Artemis__ 03-16-2009 01:24 PM

Yikes! That sounds so not SBD. It is the same stuff I've seen here but I'll be avoiding it. Fancied it with jello but I'll give it a miss.

Thanks Ruth, when I tried to Google it I wasn't getting the info I required - but I probably needed to look at .com rather than the UK google site.
Cheers.

beachgal 03-16-2009 03:18 PM

Even though the ingredients are not SBD (of any phase), Sugar Free or Fat Free Cool Whip are allowed in all phases, as long as you stick to the portion size (2 Tbsp).

The thinking is that, in such small quantities, the sugar won't affect you. Kind of like the ricotta recipe that lets you have something like 3 mini chocolate chips in Phase 1. :shrug: Weird, but it does seem to be true.

To that end, it's possible to use whipped cream with sugar in it in the can, as long as you stick with the portion size. It does have saturated fat, but it's not as bad as the trans fats that are in Cool Whip, IMHO. Both have sugar, but the stuff in the can may be better for you than the HFCS in Cool Whip. Personally, that's what I use now. It's hard to stick with a portion size, but I do my best. It doesn't seem to affect me in that small quantity. You can also try making your own whipped cream by using cream and Splenda. There also is one brand that sells a "No Sugar Added" whipped cream in a can (Land O' Lakes, maybe?). It does have sugar, but it's much less than the other canned kind. Hope that helps!

Artemis__ 03-16-2009 03:53 PM

It does help, yes thanks.
I guess it makes sense that we're allowed to have a little sugar in it - after all we're allowed a little in the pre-made salad dressings.
I would love a little treat with my jello. I guess I can try it and see what happens.
I'm struggling anyway at the moment - but that's another thread when I'm up to writing it !