3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Not Hungry (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/166532-not-hungry.html)

Steen 03-10-2009 05:07 PM

Not Hungry

Hello,

I just wanted some advice on what to do if I don't want to eat. I am in my second week of phase one and I don't want to blow my progress.

My husband and I decided to separate after seven years. Although we both knew it was coming, it doesn't make it any easier.

But my appetite is gone, which is understandable. What do I do? I was hoping maybe for some advice on what to do to get by for now. Is there small things I could try and eat just to keep up where I am on SB? Any sort of supplement?

rdw1 03-10-2009 05:12 PM

I am sorry to hear of your separation:hug: I know stressful times can definitely make you lose your appetite... I would say just eat a little when you can be sure to get in some veggies- maybe drink some v8... there isn't much that can be done to help you eat when something like that happens(IMO). Exercise is a good stress reliever, but I have been really down like that before and I just didn't want to eat or do anything-I will send a prayer up for you...

Buckeye 03-10-2009 05:13 PM

I'm like you, stressful/sad situations and I lose my appetite. During those times yogurt was always something I could eat. Stick w/ the lowfat and NOT the fatfree cuz you will need the extra calories. :hug::hug:

Ruthxxx 03-10-2009 06:10 PM

So sorry and totally understand. Eat what you can but be sure to take a vitamin/mineral supplement. :grouphug:

cottagebythesea 03-10-2009 06:48 PM

I'm so sorry, Steen. :hug:

Soup is usually pretty easy and soothing to eat, and that way you'll be getting the nutrients you need. Dairy, such as milk, yogurt and cottage cheese are pretty soothing, too.

Steen 03-10-2009 07:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your support and advice. The one good thing is when something upsetting happened, I would gorge on whatever I could eat. But I'm not craving like I used to, so SB is doing it's job. That's a positive! :carrot:

zeffryn 03-10-2009 08:07 PM

I'm so sorry, Steen.

It's totally understandable for you not to have much of an appetite right now. I would go for comfort foods that are still SB appropriate - if you're craving sweets, go for the "peanut butter cup" or sf jello with a little cool whip. If it's savory comforts you're craving, how about a nice soup? The taco soup is really good and comforting, or a broccoli cheese soup? They are pretty easy to make and make enough where you will have leftovers so you won't have to cook as much.

Again, so sorry. :hug:

Barb0522 03-10-2009 10:17 PM

Soup does usually make me feel better. And sometimes just a spoonful of peanut butter helps. You do need to try to eat.

You will find lots of support here and people willing to listen if you want to talk. :hug:

MomPOM 03-11-2009 12:04 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your separation. Big hugs to you!

As for appetite, just do the best you can. Even without the drama in your life you may have found you weren't hungry on the diet. I had that problem in Phase 1 as well. I agree with the ladies... eat some soup, drink your milk and just take care of yourself.

ThoughtfulOne 03-11-2009 12:16 AM

Steen, I am sorry to hear about the separation.

I agree with what everyone else said. Soup, yogurt and milk are probably the best things for you right now.

AnAbsoluteDiva 03-11-2009 08:39 AM

Girl, I hear your pain.

I went through a bad break-up a couple of years ago and used that time to take care of me. I didn't want to eat either. All I wanted to do was cry, but I took the focus off the thing I couldn't control and focused on what I COULD control.

I quit smoking, got a haircut, lost 20 pounds, took up running, went back to the gym, and morphed!

Of course, then I met my wonderful husband, started smoking, gained back ten of those 20 pounds, slacked with the running, grew my hair out, and got sloppy about the gym. LOL

Better that you not eat when you're down in the dumps than that you overeat. But as everyone else has said, be sure that what you DO put into your mouth will count.

I'm rootin' for ya! And maybe your husband and you will find a way to have a better relationship apart than you did together. Who knows... things may work out and you'll be back together again. But in the meantime, take care of YOU!

You're the only person who will never leave you.

beachgal 03-11-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnAbsoluteDiva (Post 2649551)
I went through a bad break-up a couple of years ago and used that time to take care of me. But as everyone else has said, be sure that what you DO put into your mouth will count.
... But in the meantime, take care of YOU!

:hug: Steen, I'm so sorry. I really do feel your pain. Things are rough here, too. But I focus on what my therapist, a former nurse, says--"It's time to triage!" Just like in a hospital, focus on the things that need immediate attention and work your way to the other things when you can. For now, that means doing just what Diva suggested--focusing on how to keep yourself healthy. Make sure you eat healthy when you eat (focus on protein, veggies, dairy, fiber), make sure you sleep, make sure you take a shower (or a bath) and get dressed each day. Exercise. Do things that comfort you and ease your soul--whatever they may be--such as spending time in nature, being creative, reading books, listening to music, talking with friends, or just punching your pillow. Just focus on you and what you really need to get through each day with your sanity intact. :hug:

Keep posting, hon. We're here for you. I bet Barb could give you some great advice on coping--she just went through a really tough time with her ex-husband. I haven't seen Weezle lately, but she went through something similar a year or so ago, I think. Or was it longer? Time passes so quickly, sometimes! :dizzy: