3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Stuck in a Rut on Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/166319-stuck-rut-phase-1-a.html)

cottagebythesea 03-08-2009 12:45 PM

:welcome2: FaithRunner! One way to incorporate beans into your meals is to puree them and stir them into your soups or chili. ;) That way you're getting the nutrients and fiber, but you won't be able to taste them. Have you tried sauteeing your beans in olive oil with a little garlic and onion? They're pretty tasty that way, and red beans are great with salsa and some LF cheese melted over them.
I hope these suggestions help to change your mind about beans!

FaithRunner2005 03-08-2009 12:49 PM

I haven't experimented much with any types of beans. It is hard to make recipes because my husband is an extremely picky eater and it would be expensive to create two meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. Also, he doesn't eat a lot of vegetables and hates beans like me, so it makes it more difficult.I do, like store bought hummus.

beachgal 03-09-2009 03:20 PM

Faith, you're eating a lot of protein, some dairy, and not much else. You need a much more balanced diet. I can't say that it will help you lose more weight--but it is more likely to help you feel better! All that protein takes a while to digest and I can imagine it might make your system pretty sluggish without anything fibrous to help "move" it along, if you get my drift. ;) Here are some things to consider adding in:
  • Veggies! I hated them all when I started SBD. I was nearly 30 and had tried my whole life to eat veggies but never could get myself to do it. When I started SBD, I decided I had to make a more concerted effort. You might want to read the How To Eat More Veggies When You Hate Them All!!! thread for lots of great ideas on how to eat them more!
  • In P1, it's especially important to make sure you're eating good carbs, such as tomatoes (they're actually a fruit...does that help?), bell peppers (delicious dipped in hummus!), beans, and dairy. Try to get as much of the veggies in as you can and aim for around 2 servings of FF or LF dairy a day (I eat a lot more and have never had trouble with it, though...).
  • Beans! I understand that you don't like them, but you might want to try other options. If you like hummus, then you don't mind the taste of chickpeas. You may mind their texture, but if that's the case, you should still try the roasted chickpea recipe. They are crunchy and good! Try mixing up some LF cheese and salsa with a little bit of refried beans and dip bell pepper slices in it. When you're in P2, you could use WW pita chips or crackers instead.
  • Once you get to P2, add some fruit. It'll help a lot.

As for breakfast, check out the Alternatives to Eggs for Breakfast? (answers and suggestions) thread in the FAQ for lots of options.

Here's a possible revised menu: (note that every time you eat, it "revs" your metabolism. Not only is it a good idea for your blood sugar to eat six smaller meals a day rather than 3, it's good for your weight loss, too!)

B: Fat Free (FF) cottage cheese with a handful of grape tomatoes (they're really sweet!)
S: 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese on celery (mild in taste and crunchy...usually something people can stand, even if they don't like veggies much)
L: 1 turkey burger with cheese, homemade coleslaw (use the bagged cabbage and make a dressing with 1/2 cup regular mayo, 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar, 1 packet of Splenda, celery seed, salt, and pepper to taste), and a handful of roasted chickpeas, SF Jell-O cup
S: red bell pepper strips dipped in flavored hummus (my favorite is roasted red pepper)
D: Taco Bake (if you like Mexican food, you are bound to like this and hardly notice it has veggies in it! Really! Feel free to use less beans so you won't notice them as much if they bother you) served either on shredded iceberg lettuce or shredded cabbage, with Low Fat (LF) sour cream
S: Peanut Butter Cup (divine! :drool:)

As for the weight, you are likely to lose less when you do P1 again. I usually don't lose much more than what I may have gained while off plan, if that. It's meant to kick the cravings to the curb. Then you can get into P2 and get back into losing.

:congrat: on the jogging! That's awesome and will help so much with the weight loss! :cp:

Schmoodle 03-09-2009 04:17 PM

Faith, to answer your question the cheesecake freezes okay. Cream cheese doesn't actually freeze well, but there's enough other stuff in this that it does okay, although the texture may be a little different than non-frozen. I've gotten impatient and eaten it partially frozen before and that was really yummy - cheesecake ice cream, mmmm

kimberb04 03-11-2009 01:00 PM

Laurie~ That menu sample you posted had me droolin!! Thanks for sharing!