South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Wonderful Wednesday Warblings

Mid-week again? Time is just whizzing by. (It speeds up as you get older.)

I got lots done yesterday including adding more stuff to The List. Disney and I had a good visit at the nursing home after a three month hiatus. I gave myself a wee break after Harry died and wondered if I'd be bothered going into his old room - no problem! The new resident is an elderly man (of course!) who absolutely adored Disney. It was sort of sad to see a lot of new faces there because that meant some of the old faces had "gone on".

This morning the hort. society president is coming for tea and to give me some of her exotic seeds to start. She and her DH are off to Costa Rica for six weeks so I have been passed the torch. Our annual garden sale is in May so I need to get stuff started. (Maybe it's time to start a gardening thread?)

What are you doing today to make your Hump Day wonderful? I was thinking of putting on some clear nail polish but my tastes are very simple.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #2  
My inspiration!

S/C/G: 288/288/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Ruth! I wish you were a bit further south so you could give me gardening advice! I'd love to start a small veggie garden for this summer with my girls. And we have a wonderful Jewish holiday coming up this month call Tu B'Shevat -- it is the birthday to the trees and you are supposed to plant one! My older daughter is all over it...and tells all of the trees happy birthday -- each individually as we drive down the street. It cracks me up!

I hope to have a good Hump Day! Nothing too special planned...off to daycare, school and work for all of us! I was supposed to be babysitting my niece tonight but she's sick so my brother cancelled. I hope to do more interval training over lunch today. In fact I need to go check my meeting calendar for the day.

Well, Natalie just came over and said she wanted "progolem" (that would be provolone!) So, I am off to get breakfast started!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning!

Ruth, you always wake up so bright and cheerful in the morning. I'm glad you and Disney had a nice visit at the nursing home. I'm sure the residents there missed you, and I bet you really brightened their day. How fun to get some exotic plant seeds! I know how much you enjoy working in the greenhouse, that will be a very pleasant way to spend your days. I'm just itching to get my hands into the warm soil again!

We have another blanket of snow this morning and schools are on delay. I'll make my way over to Cindy's as soon as the roads are cleared. It seems all we've done this winter is battle the ice and snow, and I've sure had enough of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natalie'sMom, your holiday sounds like a beautiful way to honor our trees! I love it!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 02-04-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Chicks I'm happy to report that the snow completely missed us for once!

Ruth - My brain is definitely in gardening land. I'm going to a cold frame workshop in early March and hope to get greens & brasicas in then. That doesn't sound nearly as far away as late May!

Natalie's Mom - Where are you? There are quite a few gardeners around here so I'm sure someone can chime in with ideas. I love the idea of celebrating the birthday of the trees

*ETA - Good morning Cottage! Hope they get that snow cleared soon.

So work stress has hit my office, much like lots of other people. Foundation money and donations are down so it looks like at best there will be pay cuts and/or benefit cuts. Since it's a non-profit we aren't exactly starting with high salaries so it's pretty distressing. As those of you who are looking know there just aren't other jobs out there so choices are limited to no-existent. I just need to put this in the pile with my retirement fund of things that would distress me but I have no control over so I need to let them go. I'm just so glad DP found a job even if that's at a non-profit too.

On the plus side we are finally starting lunchtime workouts in the bldg next week. The bigger agency needed to get disclaimer forms signed (we will not sue the school district if we over do our exercise!) but now that's all taken care of and we can finally get started. I'm really looking forward to adding some mid-day exercise. I went for a walk lunchtime Monday and it was lovely. Of course it will be 15 today so that ain't happening!

Unremarkable work day for me - lunch meeting, afternoon visit, morning desk work. I'm looking at my schedule trying to juggle a visit to Boston for DD's birthday and a visit with my parents to check-in. Should make a challenging month.

What's on your plate today?

ETA - If you haven't seen this, http://avidityfitness.net/2008/02/01...-for-fat-loss/ check it out. I'm not big on inspirational but really, really liked this.

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-04-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

Hmmm...I need to add ETA to the acronym list.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #6  
My inspiration!

S/C/G: 288/288/150

Cottage -- Thanks! It is one of our "greener" holidays!

Cyndi -- I work at a non-profit as well. And we too are feeling the crunch. In fact, I am on the executive team, and we are looking at cost-cutting measures right now (staff), so it is a difficult time. We hope to just cut hours and not people.

We are in Kansas City -- so any midwestern gardeners out there? I would love to learn where to start!!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #7  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

morning all things are going good here, been spending alot of time filling out job apps and stuff. i really need to find something before my unemployment runs out in march and theres no jobs around here which makes it worse. at this point if i knew i could find a job i'd almost be willing to move.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #8  

Hey there,
I had such a bad day yesterday I hope today is better. My father was in the ER and since my parents live in Greece it makes it really hard for me being so far away. Then I took my baby in for a cystic fibrosis test (long story) so I was stressed out for that.
I hope today is better, I almost just ate last night to make myself feel better but I didn't (hooray!)
I am down today though, really down.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Whoosh--you are all up earlier than normal today!

Sorry about your dad, usam. My parents are far away, too (though not as far as yours!) and it's hard when you can't be there. But I'm thankful for phone, e-mail, and text messaging. It can keep us close. Hope your dad is feeling much better. Good for you on not eating to make yourself feel better. I have the same urge often, but one thing that stops me is remembering something my dear friend Meg said once, when she was sad about a leave-taking: "I'm sad now, but if I eat because of that, all that will happen is I'll be sad and pudgy." She had a good point!

me4life! It's hard in our area, too.

Natalie's Mom
, good luck to you, too! We need to start the gardening thread up, eh?

Gotta go...my first appt. of the day is here. Nothing much going on in my life. My plans for tonight were cancelled (yay!) so I'm going to the gym and then enjoying African stew in the crockpot with DH before he leaves on a trip tomorrow.

Have a great day, chicks!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Good Morning!

Ruth -- I would love a gardening thread! I'm working on a compost pile! All my egg shells need to go somewhere other than the trash!

Cottage -- I love getting dirty, too. Don't even wear gloves!

Cyndi -- What I'm hearing the 'experts' on TV say is that the first half of the year will be rough, but it will get better in the second half. I hope they are right.

Nat's Mom -- I NEVER correct my 5 year old when he makes word mistakes like that. I love it! He informed me yesterday that he needed a bath because he was 'thilthy'.

Me4Life -- Good luck with the job search!

Me -- Last week I had blood work. Today I go for results. They said if the tests came back normal, they'd cancel the appointment. Guess I'm not normal. Oh, well. Hopefully, it's not bad.

My hubby bought an organ from a church south of Birmingham. Four of us are going to try to move it to our house today. It weighs 400 pounds. I better eat my Wheaties -- are they on plan? Auston will get to spend the afternoon with his grandmother. They both love spending time together. He'll get ice cream sandwiches and Cheetos for lunch.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

usam -- I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers today.

beachgal -- Sad AND Pudgy -- that is funny, and way too true!

By the way, what does ETA stand for?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Chelby, check out the acronym thread in the FAQ. I just added it.

OK, already! It is time to start a gardening thread. It would be very helpful if people would add their location to their profile. Not the street address....just the State and north or south so the resident "ho"s can give sensible advice. (Now don't get the wrong idea! Ho means horticulturist in this case. )

"Tu B'Shevat " ...have not heard about that in years. I used to teach in a Hebrew school and that brings back memories.

Time to put on the kettle for tea!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Morning Chicks! Someone pass the coffee, apparently I didn't get all the soap rinsed out of my travel mug and mine tastes pretty icky!

My body is trying real hard to fight off a cold and while I don't feel bad I'm a bit off today.

Ruth glad the nursing home visit went well yesterday.

Nats mom gotta love those kiddos at the age!

Cottage be careful out there today.

Cyndi I would love to be able to put a workout area in our office, we have an entire 3rd floor that we don't use at the moment and it would be perfect, it is even equipped with a huge mirror as this used to be a dress shop.

Oops gotta run! Oh and Chelby ETA is edited to add.

Have a good one gals!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Good morning chicks, I'm gnawing away at my cold pork chop breakfast. It's one of my favorite ways to start the day - times have sure changed, used to be Pop Tarts! The kids are on 2-hr delay (AGAIN) this morning so I cooked them eggs, bacon, and toast, but I just didn't feel like eggs for myself.

I've got Good Morning America on, and they just had a very depressing report about lifestyle factors and aging. They were comparing twins with different lifestyles - stay away from the sun, don't smoke, yada-yada, but the twins were different weights and the fatter ones were always judged to look younger. Well, that's something I've discovered for myself. My friends used to complain that they were getting wrinkes and I wasn't. Once I started losing weight, I discovered I was getting them all along, they were just well hidden.

Chelby, good luck moving that organ and be careful - no back injuries!
usam, hope your dad is doing well.
Have a great day Laurie!
me4life, I've got my fingers crossed that you find something soon!
Cyndi, lunchtime exercise is a great idea. I love efficiency and multi-tasking!
Nat's mom, that is a lovely holiday. I wasn't familiar with that one.
cottage, be careful out in that snow!
Ruth, glad you had a good time with Disney at the nursing home. It's a really nice thing to do for those folks!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #15  
Determined to lose!

Good Morning everyone! Cody's being difficult this morning. When I let him out of his cage to go out the door for potty he backed up and went back into his crate. He wouldn't come out if the terms were he had to go outside. Weird dog, you'd think after being in the crate all night he'd be happy to relieve himself!

Ruth, I could use some lessons in gardening as well! I keep saying "this year I'll plant a vegetable garden" to which my son laughs! I'd love to grow some green peppers, green beans, tomatoes, etc.

Cottage, while I understand your frustration at the ice, snow and frigid temps. I've learned that complaining about the weather is in effect complaining against God!

Cyndi, gone are the days where we could just go out for a walk on lunch eh? Now we need to sign an affidavit? I recall one job I had I used to walk every day. One day all the girls went with me, and the controller put a stop to it altogether!

((Usam)) hope today goes better!

I spoke with the placement agency that placed me with my previous employer yesterday. (It was direct hire, not temp to hire). I was told to update my resume' and they'd be more than willing to help me look, but things are slow (surprise!, with this economy?). She even stated that "Ann is an interesting person to say the least" and "she is difficult to deal with." and this from someone who works with Ann just on a limited basis!

I also called the local HEAP, but they go by the last four weeks pay, which at that rate I'm not eligible, because I was working. They sure make it difficult to get help out there!

So a sister that hardly talks to me calls me and asks me "would you think me a bad person if I move to Kentucky?" I asked her why would that make her a bad person... she stated "because I'd be leaving Ashly" (her daughter). I thought, what about Chris and Nicholas (her sons) (Tonya lives in NC.) I told her she couldn't live life worrying about what other's would think, she had to do what she believed is right. I asked her why she wanted to move to Kentucky, her bf just moved there. she later called to ask me to purchase a plane ticket for her. (she used her bf's cc.)

Why is it so hard for people to not make judgments against others? Or why is it so hard for folks to do what they need to do in life? I told Pam, "If I celebrated Christmas I'd go against everything I believe. Then it would not be of faith, and according to scripture it'd be sin."
Closed Thread