South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 138/131/110

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Laker - I'm going to assume that you're a vegetarian by the looks of your menu. Being a vegetarian on this diet is fine and completely acceptable, but I think that with any way of eating you need to have a balanced diet. Your menu looks to be severely lacking in protein. There are many vegetarian protein replacements available as well as beans and other legumes being a great source of protein.

If you need help, post a new thread or a question in our daily chat. There are quite a few girls here that are living a vegetarian lifestyle while also doing SB.

Good luck and hope you feel better!
Hi zeffryn, thanks for your advice and concern

I take multivitamin supplements with my vegetarian diet, but I could always use some advice. Will post my meals in the accountability thread
laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #17  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Laker - I've been a vegetarian about 70% of the last 47 years and the one thing I know is that a multivitamin doesn't begin to make up for a diet lacking in nutrients and calories. You need more protein and bulky vegetables. Don't mean to sound like a know it all but your daily lists have me a bit concerned about your well being
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #18  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I agree with Cyndi. I was a vegetarian for about 8 years during college and after. When I first started, I was so concerned with not having anything with animal products that I only ate fruits and vegetables - big mistake. It took about a month for my health to really fail, even with a multi-vitamin. It wasn't until I really started to realize how important a healthy, balanced diet was....even if you're a vegetarian. I still strive to include protein in every meal and snack that I consume. It helps to keep me full longer and keep my energy up. I'm also in much better health since realizing this. I used to get sick all the time, now, I'm sick on average about once a year.

Also, with that many vegetables and nothing else - you are severely lacking in calories. I can't imagine that you are getting even 1000 calories a day - try not to drop below 1200. Anything below 1200 is pretty much starvation and your body will make up for it by storing any excess fat that may be hanging around.

Again, like Cyndi, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but I am concerned about your health and success on this plan.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #19  

Don't worry Cyndi & Zeffryn, I don't think you're being 'knowitalls' at all!

What would you suggest I eat more of?

Last edited by laker; 12-02-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #20  

Doing tomorrow's menu in advance because I don't think I'll have much time to be online (going out for breakfast very early (7am!) with the girls, working all day then a pool party that night with the boys! ) *editing quickly during break!*

B - scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, large skim latte
L - small sumo salad - lentils, tabbouleh, felafel and cous cous
AT - small serve of mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, water chestnut and mushrooms) and tofu
D - toppings of 3 slices of pizza, no bases, tea with skim milk

Last edited by laker; 12-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #21  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Laker, please post your meals here since you are in Phase I. I've moved your post in here for critique. The accountability thread is supposed to be for those who have fallen by the wayside to post our struggles with all the holiday stuff. You'll get more help in here.

Hey! New avatar!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #22  

Oh oops Ruth! I'm so confused with all these different threads. If you could move them, that would be great. Thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #23  

I thought Chick Check was like a sign up thread. Like... [name]? Check!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #24  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Morning Laker

It's good to see more protein in your plan for the day and good lunch veggies. I'm sure it will pay off in more energy. Is there any reason you don't eat beans? They are a great source of veggie protein plus they are filling and have lots of fiber - all good things for success on this program. A a vegetarian I usually have at least 1-2 1/2 cup servings a day - refried beans are great with breakfast and hummus makes a good snack with crunchy veggies. It will also really help prevent the South Beach flu.

You're on the right path though. How do you feel?
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #25  

Hi Cyndi! How are you today?

I completely forgot about beans! I'm going overseas for a couple of months at the end of the week, so we're trying to eat most of the food we have in the house! I eat out a lot (healthily) because I'm not at home much, and I guess you just don't really see many beans on menus where I am.