South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #61  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: SW/178, CW 167, GW 122-128

Height: 5' 3"

Default Restaurant Success!!

Yesterday, our office went out to celebrate several birthdays. Our party of 12 headed to Chili's. I was very worried about choices and was going to resign my self to having to go off my plan BUT, I found that they had a small (only four choices) section called the Guiltless Grill . I had grilled Salmon, Broccoli, and black beans, and unsweetened tea AND walked away full and satisfied. It was my first restaurant since starting SB. I feel very proud while everyone else was having mega-cheeseburgers with bacon, I was being such a good girl! Yeah Me!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #62  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Way to go ilovepoptarts!!! You made a wonderful choice and you are doing GREAT!!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #63  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I Am Not Losing On Phase 2!! I am not going going to panic until I have been on phase 2 for an entire week....
All I did was add a piece of fruit at night after dinner. (Which I was doing my last few days on phase 1 and still losing. I am having a nectarine.) Then Monday I added 2 - 3T of cooked steal cut oatmeal. I made a big batch on Monday morning, so I have been taking a few tablespoons of that in the morning with my eggs, veggies, etc.
Nothing else has changed. I didn't add anything else to my diet. My exercise is the same, my water intake is the same. I don't get it!

On a positive note, I put on a shirt today that I haven't worn in a while. I started working out in March and I lost several inches (10+) just from that alone. Now add to it my 8lb weight loss from SB. I was swimming in the shirt!!

Just wanted to vent. I won't panic. It is my fault because I weigh myself everyday... just so disappointing!!
Jenny

Last edited by Jenskihere; 09-18-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #64  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Jenny - that can be so frustrating....especially since our bodies react differently. It can be a guessing game. It sounds like you're doing everything right though, so I wouldn't panic even if you don't lose your first week or two on P2. As frustrating as it may be, we need to remember that weight loss isn't ever a linear or rational thing and while it may seem like we're doing everything right....our scale doesn't show it. You lost consistently on P1 because your body was expelling excess water from your muscles - sounds bad, but for a short time isn't. P2 is a much slower weight loss. It is fun to weigh daily on P1 because it seems like every day the scale jumps down another pound or two...it is very motivating! I stopped weighing everyday on P2 because it was frustrating. I found that weighing just once a week was much better on my psyche. After awhile, I found that even if I did do everything right - there would be weeks that I didn't lose a pound. I learned to just chalk that up to the planets being misaligned for me and something wasn't responding to what I was doing It didn't take long though before the plateau would be over and the scale would do another little jump downwards.

Always remember that plateaus are completely normal. Being on one for a week is nothing. Some of the girls here have been on month long plateaus. As frustrating as that can be, just keep in mind that regardless of the weightloss you are eating healthy and those pounds will move.

Also, as you start to lose more weight your body will need fewer calories to maintain that weight. If you start getting into month long plateaus, I would start to take a look at portion sizes and calorie counts because the old adage of "the number of calories coming out needs to be more than the number of calories going in" still applies on SBD. Upping or changing your exercise can also provide that little boost that your body needs to help jumpstart it again.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 329/311/not 329

Height: 5'6"

I've stopped losing on phase 1. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I'm STILL stalled since day 6. I'm on day 11 and haven't seen a loss yet this week.

I've decided to cut out most dairy for a couple days to see if it can jump start again.

I went to the grocery store today and found a few things that were SB friendly. Maple groves farm now has a whole line of Sugar Free salad dressings. I looked on the ingredients and found no sugar. I bought a few flavors to try.. maybe even to marinate chicken breasts in to give it flavor. One was Raspberry Vin and it too was less than 1 gram of carbs with no sugar (splenda instead), but it had raspberry concentrate? Must only be a drop or two to not add carbs. LOL I'll save that for phase 2.

Does anyone know if No Sugar Added ice cream is OK? I saw it.. didn't buy it.. but looked on the ingredients and it had no sugar (only splenda)
Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #66  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaS104 View Post
I've stopped losing on phase 1. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I'm STILL stalled since day 6. I'm on day 11 and haven't seen a loss yet this week.

I've decided to cut out most dairy for a couple days to see if it can jump start again.

I went to the grocery store today and found a few things that were SB friendly. Maple groves farm now has a whole line of Sugar Free salad dressings. I looked on the ingredients and found no sugar. I bought a few flavors to try.. maybe even to marinate chicken breasts in to give it flavor. One was Raspberry Vin and it too was less than 1 gram of carbs with no sugar (splenda instead), but it had raspberry concentrate? Must only be a drop or two to not add carbs. LOL I'll save that for phase 2.

Does anyone know if No Sugar Added ice cream is OK? I saw it.. didn't buy it.. but looked on the ingredients and it had no sugar (only splenda)
Cutting out dairy is probably not the way to jump start the weight loss again...especially on P1...the lack of carbs + lack of dairy could pose a problem. You're going to have more luck with fewer calories and/or more exercise.

You may want to reevaluate your calorie intake. If you're not doing so already, log everything into Fitday or another calorie counting program and see what your totals are for the day. Eat your veggies first and then your protein, it will fill you up and you'll be making sure you get all 4.5 cups of veggies in each day. If you're not exercising, throwing a half hour walk in can do wonders...even a couple 15 minute walks a day if you're short on time. My son really loves to go out and collect leaves now that they are changing. We walk, collect leaves and talk about trees and the seasons. It is fun for him and gets my walk in.

Raspberry vin is not ok for P1 as fruits are cut out until P2. About the carbs in the dressing? It doesn't matter. I think it is cottage (if not, sorry!) that likes to say that 1,000,000 carbs a day are fine as long as they are the right carbs.

Also, weighing everyday - while in theory seems great, in practice causes a ton of frustration. Try only weighing once or twice a week.

As far as the ice cream, I'm not sure what the calorie counts are. There is a 75-100 calorie "sweet treat" limit each day. If a serving size has less than that and you stick to the serving size (usually 1/4-1/2 cup), it should be fine.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-18-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #67  

This is the one I saw.. Edy's No Sugar Added Vanilla Bean

INGREDIENTS: skim milk, cream, maltitol syrup*, maltodextrin, polydextrose*, glycerin, milk minerals concentrate, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, salt, sorbitol*, guar gum, sucralose (Splenda® Brand), ground vanilla beans, carrageenan, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, acesulfame potassium, natural flavor

* Sensitive individuals may experience a laxative effect from excess consumption of this ingredient.

Nutritional facts
Amount per 1/2 Cup

Calories
Calories from Fat
Total Fat
Saturated Fat
Trans Fat 3 (g)
2 (g)
0 (g)
Cholesterol 10 (mg)
Sodium 70 (mg)
Total Carbohydrates 13 (g)
Dietary Fiber 2 (g)
Sugars
Sugar Alcohols 4 (g)
5 (g)
Protein 3 (g)
Calcium 10 %
Gluten-Free Kosher Light No Sugar Added Nut Allergen-Free
Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #68  

As far as cutting calories... yesterday I had only 750 calories for the whole day. And I have been walking up and around our hills this week.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #69  
beachin'

That might be the reason why you aren't losing. 750 calories is not enough to sustain a metabolism. You should shoot for 1200 at the very least.

Could you post a menu? Maybe there are other things that could be tweaked to get over this plateau.

I hear you, though. Plateaus suck.

RE: the ice cream. It looks fine, just stick to 1/2 cup.....and that warning about eating too much causing a laxative effect? They aren't joking...
Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #70  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Ahhh 750 calories!!! Woman you need to eat more. Your metabolism is going into starvation mode, most likely, causing you to hold onto weight. Then you're burning off even more.

Keep the exercise- up the calories.

Ilovepoptarts, you're doing really good. And I love the name. Mmm, poptarts.

Jenkishere, I wish I could offer some advice re: phase 2 but I've never done it properly so far. I think at the end of the week you'll see a scale loss. If you're exercising you may be gaining muscle weight. (Good thing!)
Old 09-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #71  

Oh I know about that laxative effect. It actually just makes me gassy if I eat too much.. but no one needs to be around that! LOLOL

I'll try to increase my calories and will post a menu for tomorrow. (when I'm able to actually eat without a kid hanging on my leg) LOL

typicall tho.. I eat eggs for breakfast. Just fried in a little PAM. Salad with cheese, nuts, low carb dressing, tomatoes, cukes, green pepper, egg. I may have a spoonful of PB for a snack.. or a SF jello. Dinner I eat only the meat/protein and veggies.. and for a late night snack I like more jello or pudding of some sort.

I drink ALOT of crystal light and SF Kool aid. And my salads are HUGE.. like 3+ cups. Oh and I have 2-3 cups coffee per day with skim milk and splenda.

(and I pee alllllll freakin' night). LOL

Last edited by BrendaS104; 09-18-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #72  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Can I suggest a teaspoon or so of Smart Balance to cook your eggs in? It's delicious and will add a bit of calories and good healthy fats.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #73  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaS104 View Post
Oh I know about that laxative effect. It actually just makes me gassy if I eat too much.. but no one needs to be around that! LOLOL

I'll try to increase my calories and will post a menu for tomorrow. (when I'm able to actually eat without a kid hanging on my leg) LOL

typicall tho.. I eat eggs for breakfast. Just fried in a little PAM. Salad with cheese, nuts, low carb dressing, tomatoes, cukes, green pepper, egg. I may have a spoonful of PB for a snack.. or a SF jello. Dinner I eat only the meat/protein and veggies.. and for a late night snack I like more jello or pudding of some sort.

I drink ALOT of crystal light and SF Kool aid. And my salads are HUGE.. like 3+ cups. Oh and I have 2-3 cups coffee per day with skim milk and splenda.

(and I pee alllllll freakin' night). LOL

So, it's possible to eat without a kid on your leg! Thank God......I see a light at the end of this tunnel

Try adding some veggies and more protein to your breakfast....if you like southwestern style things adding some black beans, peppers and onions and salsa to your eggs is awesome. Sprinkle a little cheese on top as well.

Try a snack in the morning if you have time (I feel your pain, girl) - protein will add calories. Hard boiled eggs have around 100 calories.

Chop up some chicken on that salad and add another 100 calories or so.

another snack in the afternoon - nuts are good but remember the limits.

Dinner sounds fine, just make sure you're getting enough veggies.

dessert sounds fine as well. SF jello saved my life most nights. SF pudding isn't allowed on P1, though.

Also, more water! Crystal light and kool-aid are fine, in moderation, but your body needs true hydration from water. Try to get at least 64 oz. a day.

I pee all night as well....but I think that might be for a different reason

RE: the laxative ice cream - I thought it just made me gassy as well...until I had one fabulous night with it....DH nicknamed it poo cream. Gross.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-18-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #74  

Opps on the pudding. I've only had it once. Any idea why it's not allowed? I use the SF FF version and it's made with skim milk. And I don't eat chocolate pudding (hate it!).. usually vanilla or pistacio. ?

I really should get the book out and read the whole thing again. The last time I read it was when I was pregnant.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #75  

Oh and tonight's dinner was steamed shrimp and a side salad, fresh broccoli... and probably jello for dessert.
Closed Thread