South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #16  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I hate to think that eating a banana in public is going to make people laugh at me in their heads!

DEPENDS ON HOW YOU EAT THE BANANA!

for me, when i see folks eating non-beachy food I do think about it esp if they are 400 pounds.... i want to go up to them and hug them and say "can I talk to you about something"

fwiw watermelon is not a beachy food but it fills me up and keeps me filled for hours... so i guess everyone's reaction to things is going to be different.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #17  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I eat fruit for snacks at least twice a day and have for almost over 4 years (always berries in the morning and usually a tangelo in the afternoon if they are in season, otherwise it's a nectarine, pineapple, mango or watermelon). Big servings too! Lost 70 lbs, kept it off for over 3 years - fruit works for me!

I wonder if people just my fruit and think I'm making a foolish, unhealthy choice when I'm obviously radiantly glowing with good health?
the FRUIT is not the problem.

the JUICE is the problem... at least from an SBD perspective.

i eat fruit all the time.

banana every morning with my oatmeal

and often a fruit snack in the afternoons or before bed...

BUT i pair it with either protein dairy or a fat.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #18  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
I think judge was kind of a harsh word, I also don't care what other people eat. I meant it more as laughing to your self at people who eat "healthy" food in public and have an air about themselves of "I'm so healthy, look at me," when the food they're eating really isn't that "diet friendly".

I know how you meant it, don't worry. And I honestly think Photochick, while she DID have a point, was being a bit harsh towards you.

But, I don't really laugh at anyone for anything, certainly not for drinking OJ and etc, it still IS actually healthy for you. I know people who have lost weight and kept it off by eating fruits and grains everyday along with meats and etc. It is like what some others said, the approach that works for us may not work for others. I am pretty sure I could do another diet other than SBD, such as calorie counting or whatnot, and still lose weight. I choose to do SBD, but another person who does something differently isn't necessarily wrong (which is the type of thinking that ALSO makes me disagree with some of the SB stuff, although I still do the SBD. Corn and watermelon did not make me fat!)

Like I said though, fruits are great for a lot of people. I have found that eating some fruits (fruits only) as a snack makes me hungry later. That's why SBD is better for me. But for others, it works as a great snack.

Anyway, it's always fun to have a controversial topic to sort of 'debate' over, sometimes the forum can be boring! (No offense to anyone, I just like it lively sometimes!)

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-27-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #19  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Anyway, it's always fun to have a controversial topic to sort of 'debate' over, sometimes the forum can be boring! (No offense to anyone, I just like it lively sometimes!)
I agree. I'm glued to my computer!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
the JUICE is the problem... at least from an SBD perspective.
Yeabbut....

Juice is NOT a problem from my calorie-counting perspective. I drink V8 or tomato juice as an afternoon snack. I drink OJ, as I mentioned above, as a post workout snack specifically FOR the carbs. I drink other juices as they fit into my plan.

The problem here is thinking that there's only *one* form of "healthy".

And the thing is I *know* that I'm a lot healthier than a lot of people who say they're doing SBD or Atkins and who are really just using it as an excuse to load up on bacon and cheese and fatty foods and feel virtuous about it. (And no, I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing that, but we all know people who have pulled that one before ... ! ).

So ... again, healthy is relative.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Of course I notice what other people are eating. I'm hypersensitive to food choices these days. I don't think I judge, we all have to make our own choices.

Also of course I would never say anything, even to someone I was close to. It would be rude, and like anyone who is "born again" to anything I am excited to share my discoveries, but we have to be careful. Most folks don't want to hear it, just like I wouldn't want to hear most of what they say about how I live my life.

If folks were eating bacon or fatty foods, they wouldn't be following SBD.

Nessa, you are too much!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 08-27-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #22  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Me too, Murphmitch!

Photochick, I like to randomly drink V8, especially the high fiber kind. It actually keeps me really full. V8 isn't a problem for me. I'm not sure about fruit juices, because I've always liked fruit better than fruit juices.

Oh, but then I found out the low sodium V8 (which I accidentally got) had sugar in it, and I noticed mad cravings afterwards! The High Fiber V8, for me personally and individually is the way to go.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't care what anyone else eats. I also don't care what anyone else thinks about anything I am eating.

People who comment on what I'm eating, along the lines of, "Are you supposed to be eating that?" Well...

"You look at your plate, and I'll look at mine."

Jay
Old 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #24  
Midwesterner

I drink V8 too. I don't drink it in massive quantities though. A 20 oz container of OJ is not a "serving" to me. I think that was the point of the OP.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #25  
Made of Starstuff

I am human. I am not perfect. I am definitely guilty of observing other people's behaviors and food choices. Sometimes I'm even guilty of thinking in my head "Oh boy, that fried onion with sauce is like 68 points!"

Usually it's a comparison to what I may have eaten in the past, to what I could "get away" with eating now. Or how I'd feel if I ate what that person is having.

Sometimes it does delve into "Why on earth would you choose to eat a bag of potato chips?" Once again, I'm human. Most of the time I'm able to quickly catch myself and correct it. "That person is enjoying their potato chips. Perhaps they're a treat. Perhaps they were planned. Perhaps that person doesn't give a hoot. Either way, it's none of my business as long as I don't go out and eat a bag of potato chips now that I've been thinking about them for a few minutes."

Last edited by Lovely; 08-27-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #26  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Yeabbut....

Juice is NOT a problem from my calorie-counting perspective. I drink V8 or tomato juice as an afternoon snack. I drink OJ, as I mentioned above, as a post workout snack specifically FOR the carbs. I drink other juices as they fit into my plan.

The problem here is thinking that there's only *one* form of "healthy".

And the thing is I *know* that I'm a lot healthier than a lot of people who say they're doing SBD or Atkins and who are really just using it as an excuse to load up on bacon and cheese and fatty foods and feel virtuous about it. (And no, I'm not saying anyone in this thread is doing that, but we all know people who have pulled that one before ... ! ).

So ... again, healthy is relative.

I can't imagine that if i was calorie counting i would want to drink juice.... uses up calories in my opinion. except for the fat free half and half in my coffee I do NOT drink my calories (well v8 every morning....)

as for folks who tell you they are on SBD and eat bacon, cheese and fatty food, they are lying or they have no clue about SBD as we don't have bacon unless it's turkey or canadian
cheese must be 6g of fat or less per oz
and i can't think of a single fatty food we eat while on plan...
Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #27  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Some people can eat tons of fruit and carbs together and metabolize them just fine with no health problems at all. My hubby is one of them. He's a high carb metabolic type. He has to live with me - a high protein type.

That being said, if I've learned anything over the years, it's this: Unless people are genuinely interested in wanting to make a change in their diet, there is no point in discussing it, because you will either be ridiculed or ignored.

I am surrounded by good friends who are terrible eaters. It's not that they don't have the money to buy really healthy food, they do. Instead, they think that I'M weird and waste my money because I shop at Whole Foods and eat organic. I can't tell you how many times these people have tried to force white carbs and sugar stuff on me, knowing that I am on SBD and that I don't eat that stuff.

These same people are always at the doctor's office getting another prescription for something. In fact, if I even mention an ache or a pain I might have, the first thing they say is, "Isn't there medication you can take?" - knowing that I am a believer in holistic health and rarely take any type of medication. They believe anything their doctor and the news media tells them regarding health and food, yet they suffer from all kinds of chronic ailments, never making the connection.

I've come to the conclusion regarding nutrition and health that you cannot impose your thoughts, actions, ideas, or beliefs on anyone unless they want to make a lifestyle change, and they begin to make the connection.

Otherwise, you're wasting your time, your energy and your breath.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #28  
Midwesterner

I think it's impossible, after following and being successful on any "diet", to not observe what others are eating. It's only human to do this too. I don't think the OP was trying to be rude, judgemental or otherwise. It's just an interesting point to discuss on this forum with like-minded individuals.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #29  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

You people do realize that I have things to do today....and it is absolutely impossible to do it while all this fun stuff is happening, correct?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
A 20 oz container of OJ is not a "serving" to me. I think that was the point of the OP.
But how does the OP know that the person buying the OJ was going to drink the whole 20 oz container at one sitting? And even if someone did drink the whole 20 oz, then how do you know that wasn't on THEIR diet plan?

I'm not trying to be overly argumentative here and I apologize to those who think I was too harsh in my response.

I just have a huge problem with the attitude that there is only one way to be "healthy" and anything that isn't within that narrow scope is bad.

The OP said:
Quote:
I think to myself you think your being healthy but your eating some of the worst food possible.
And you know what ... a protein bar or a 100 cal snack pack is faaaaaaaar and away from "the worst food possible". And most people who have seen me around a while know that I don't endorse either option - I'm rather outspoken that I think snack packs are not a great idea. But ... they work for some people as a form of portion control. And certainly having a cereal bar is far better than having a Snickers bar and a Coke, right?

Closed Thread