South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb The Pen is Mightier...

There was an interesting article about a study on RealAge today. The study showed that those who kept a food journal lost more.

I've been using a food journal for a year now. Not sure how much it's helping me lose, though. Do any of you journal your food (or keep a record in FitDay, which is the same thing, IMHO)? I'd love to hear more about it.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #2  
Determined to lose!

If you search I believe you'll find information on journalling your food!

Reminds me, I need to start doing that again! Thanks!!!!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #3  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

When I first started south beach back in May 07 I kept a food journal that i purchased from a book store and once i joined 3fc in October i stopped doing it and have had no success so i went back on phase 1 Sunday and picked up one of those food journals again so we shall see
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

I used a journal when I first started also until I felt I had the hang of things. Especially when I went into P2 so I could keep track of what might be my triggers and what had an effect on my weight loss.
Pacergal29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I know for a fact when I write all I have eaten. 1. I stay on plan 2. I make better choices. 3. I lose weight it's is so easy to forget you had just a tiny bit of this or that.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #6  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

I totally believe in using a food journal. I've been doing it since I started back in April. I actually make my own that also keeps track of my sleeping, water intake, exercise. I bubble in how many servings of protein, veggies, fruits, etc....and if I took vitamins that day. It totally helps me to stay on track.
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I tracked on Fitday for about 3 months last year. It was just too much work, I've already got my hands full and not enough time, I do not need another complicated task, and that's why I quit doing it in such great detail. But I did feel like I needed some simple way of tracking things, so I made a daily checklist, takes no time at all, but I check off when I have a serving of water, dairy, beans, veggies, fruit, fat, grain, nuts, sweet treats, and a little spot at the bottom to note if I ate something off plan or had a planned treat, etc. For the water, dairy, beans, and veggies, I am tracking to make sure I get enough, and for the fruit, fat, grain, nuts, sweet treats, I track to make sure I don't go over alloted servings.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #8  
Thin girl escaping

S/C/G: 212/203/140

Height: 5'5"

I track using Spark People. You can also keep a fitness diary and it has lots of useful info on there
oh2bthintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Oh2 (great name!)

Schmoo, that sounds like a great compromise!

I've recently been using this journal. My nutritionist recommended it. It's definitely meant for teens, but I only find that obvious when you read the little two-page essay at the beginning of each week. The actual journal is really fantastic--a major focus on positive things (on what you are doing right)--and also a big focus on your goals for each week. You also chart your exercise and whether you met your exercise goals for the week. It's awesome! Not that I care, but the orange part of the cover is a paper wrapper that comes right off, so you actually just end up with a colorful book with "WLC" on the front, which makes it pretty discreet.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I firmly believe that keeping a food journal helps keep me accountable to myself. I am more motivated to stay on track if I know I have to write down my mistakes and actually hold myself responsible.

The same goes for posting here and being accountable to all of you. I am so ashamed when I have to come and post about a recent mistake....
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have the FitDay program on my computer and use it religiously. I even bring it on my laptop on vacation (figured out how to transfer the data file). I know it keeps me accountable because early on I got in the habit of writing absolutely everything that crossed my lips. I also think it's made me healthier because I watch my nutrients now too. I discovered early on that I'm pretty bad about some vitamins and need to watch my intake. Nowadays I even have goals for fat and fiber. It did seem burdensome early on but it's become second nature at this point so I don't even really think about it, I just do it. It's on my list of four things that were must do things for me to be successful.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Cyndi - Fitday has really helped me during pregnancy as well. I LOVE that it has the vitamins feature.

I write down what I eat throughout the day, and then log it at the end of the day - it helps me know where I need to improve the next day.

Definitely a vital tool.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote