3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Sugar Free Whip Cream (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/149559-sugar-free-whip-cream.html)

beautifulashez 08-19-2008 07:00 PM

Sugar Free Whip Cream

I went to the store last night to pick up some sf whip cream to make some of the yummy sounding desserts from the dessert recipe section. When I found the Sf whip cream I turned it around to read the ingredients and the first ingredient listed was corn syrup! Does anyone have any insight on this? If the corn syrup was listed as the last ingredient I wouldn't really think twice about it because the amount would be so small but as the first ingredient I begin to wonder about the Sugar free label.

Belle Mer 08-19-2008 07:10 PM

Crazy. Good thing you read the ingredients. You can make whipped cream very easily with heavy cream, vanilla extract, a little bit of sweetener of your choice and a whisk or hand blender.

cottagebythesea 08-19-2008 08:01 PM

I can only speculate that maybe it said "sugar free" since it didn't contain actual cane sugar, and that most people don't realize that corn syrup is still sugar?!!! We really DO have to read labels closely. Good catch, Beautifulashez!

You could make your own whipped cream, but using real cream wouldn't be SBD friendly. Depending on what you are using it for, you can sometimes whip very cold evaporated milk with a bit of sugar substitute. It doesn't stay firm very long, though.

little chick 08-19-2008 08:48 PM

I need to go read the back of my sugar free fat free cool whip. Sneaky buggers.

Ciaran60 08-19-2008 09:38 PM

South Beach allows Cool Whip (sf/ff) - 2 tbsp is the limit and serving size. The reasoning is that it is limited to the 2tbsp so unless you are making sure you avoid all corn syrup (which I don't blame you) then I wouldn't stress if you keep yourself limited. Personally I would rather take the fat hit and do the real deal (unsweetened). :)

Belle Mer 08-19-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottagebythesea (Post 2323898)
You could make your own whipped cream, but using real cream wouldn't be SBD friendly. Depending on what you are using it for, you can sometimes whip very cold evaporated milk with a bit of sugar substitute. It doesn't stay firm very long, though.

OOPS, yes I forgot about it not being SBD friendly. :dizzy:

beautifulashez 08-19-2008 10:28 PM

thanks everyone. I guess I will have to get real creative with the whip cream. Those manufacturers are very sneaky.

grneyedmustang 08-19-2008 11:04 PM

The funny part is that the SF Cool Whip (and the light also, which also has corn syrup) BOTH have the "South Beach approved" symbol on them! Go figure.

Thin4Good 08-19-2008 11:15 PM

I have not been so impressed with the "SBD Approved" stamp so far. - I bought some nuts that were "approved" only to find out they were covered in oil and salt. WHY?? :dizzy:

I am not too happy about the cool whip. I had some on my list for tomorrow but now I guess I really don't need it anyway. I can't believe I didn't look myself.

weezle 08-20-2008 11:08 AM

I try to stay away from all cool whip unless using it as a topping for a community dessert. Otherwise, I could eat 3 tubs of it with a spoon.

KO 08-20-2008 11:19 AM

Cool Whip actually makes me sick
the same thing with coffee mate something in the fake dairy
so unless its a miniscule amount I run like heck!
you might even want to just try the whipping cream with the vanilla

EofAZ 08-20-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezle (Post 2324783)
I try to stay away from all cool whip unless using it as a topping for a community dessert. Otherwise, I could eat 3 tubs of it with a spoon.

:yes: Can't have it in the house. I don't even like it that much, I think it is the texture that is appealing to me.

zeffryn 08-20-2008 02:05 PM

Rediwhip has corn syrup as well. :(

If you have a stand mixer......put the bowl and the whisk attachment in the freezer for awhile. Make sure the fat free half and half you use is extremely cold. When the bowl and stuff is cold....whip is living he** out of it. It will take on some air. It won't get as fluffy or as stable as heavy whipping cream, but it does the job.....also, don't expect it to last (like it would anyway. Am i right?)