3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   The truth about Splenda? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/149531-truth-about-splenda.html)

weezle 08-20-2008 10:56 AM

Laurie, I try :D

Belle Mer 08-25-2008 03:37 PM

New article on this subject from Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/z023961.html

mandalinn82 08-25-2008 03:55 PM

Belle - wow, interesting article. Of course, it uses "Cause" a little bit incorrectly.

While that particular study did show that feeding rats saccharine-sweetened food did tend to lead to weight gain, it did so in the presence of more calories. Rats, unlike humans, will eat what they are craving, so if saccharine increases their cravings for food, they will eat more and get fatter. Humans tend to self-regulate intake a lot more than rats, so just because an artificial sweetener causes them to crave more food doesn't mean they will actually -eat- more food.

As many of us have said on here, for some (like the rats, apparently), artificial sweeteners increase cravings. But if you don't eat more because of that, you're not going to gain weight. The sweeteners aren't causing the weight gain, the extra calories the sweeteners may or may not have made you crave will cause the gain.

Shannon in ATL 08-25-2008 04:11 PM

I started using Splenda about a year ago, mostly for coffee and tea - I had a cup of coffee every morning and two cups of tea in the afternoon at work. I started feeling nauseated, got headaches, even started breaking out on my legs and arms. Never connected all of these symptoms together, but then found a website on some of the more common Splenda problems. Stopped the Splenda, all of the above symptoms went away.

Just recently, I got a whey protein that was flavored with Splenda - didn't even think to look and see if it was in there... It made me sick almost immediately.

If it does impact you make sure you look closely - it is sneaking into a lot of things now... I found it in 100 calorie packs of Jiffy Pop kettle corn over the weekend that my husband bought....

grneyedmustang 08-25-2008 04:16 PM

I'm not sensitive to Splenda/Sucralose -- BUT -- I have noticed it is showing up in places that you wouldn't expect it. Watch your labels if you are sensitive to it...

nanj 04-14-2009 10:55 AM

I've been reading more and more about how the body doesn't recognize the differences between real sugar and artificial sugars and makes you crave sweets all of the same; don't know personally because you will read another article that will contradict those articles!!!! There is one in WW mag this month. That makes it all clear as mud. Me, personally, I have used everything that has come out on the market that is artificial because if I can't find an artificial sugar that I can use to bake or sweeten then we can't have them at all. I was just complaining to my DH that I wish I could just quit using Splenda because I hate how it bakes and worry about growing a "third" eye. He said, "You gotta die from something!" Big help he was. I did try a new sweetener called Z-Sweet, well new to me, but the darn stuff was like $25.00 a pound at a place called Sprouts and I sure haven't seen it in my area yet. I guess the key is moderation. I have to keep something sweet on hand for my carb-loving DH, or I'm afraid he will go back to his old ways and I just can't let that happen.

carrielyn 04-14-2009 01:36 PM

Have any of you tried whey sweetener? I like it and it comes white, brown, maple flavored, powdered and even has some for diabetics. It is 4 calories a spoonful. I don't use a lot of sweetener, I like both my coffee and tea without but I do like a bit on my oatmeal. You can cook and bake with it so it might be an option for some of you.

The brand I use is Whey Low put out by a Vivalac. Google their website and see if it sounds interesting to you. It's not cheap but not any worse then some of the others.

baristamon 04-16-2009 11:36 PM

I don't really like any artificial sweeteners, although I have yet to try agave nectar. I rarely need to add sweetener to anything, so I could never bear to part with the cash for the stuff. ( I'm cheap:) ) Anyway, I think the big problem with artificial, or any, sweeteners is the amount of them that people use. I mean, when i add splenda to a plain nonfat yogurt, I use 1/2 a packet, if that. when people go into starbucks and order a small 6 splenda latte, on top of a flavored syrup, something is wrong. I think the most sweetener i've been asked to add to a drink was 19 equals. 19!!! how do you arrive at that number?! I think its a perfect example of over-consumption, and over-compensation. I'm glad I don't like sugar in my coffee, and I think that once a person has their sugar addiction under control, by using artificial sweeteners as a short or even long term substitute, then they should be able to handle a small amount of regular (I prefer raw) sugar or honey without having a relapse. and please, if you're one of those 10 splenda or 19 equal people, realize that maybe 1 or 2 packets won't give u cancer, but 19 surely must. now i'll just hop off this soap box and let someone else climb on up...

grneyedmustang 04-17-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baristamon (Post 2701808)
I don't really like any artificial sweeteners, although I have yet to try agave nectar. I rarely need to add sweetener to anything, so I could never bear to part with the cash for the stuff. ( I'm cheap:) ) Anyway, I think the big problem with artificial, or any, sweeteners is the amount of them that people use. I mean, when i add splenda to a plain nonfat yogurt, I use 1/2 a packet, if that. when people go into starbucks and order a small 6 splenda latte, on top of a flavored syrup, something is wrong. I think the most sweetener i've been asked to add to a drink was 19 equals. 19!!! how do you arrive at that number?!

Agave nectar is actually natural, so it might be a good alternative for you to consider.

Overconsumption is one of the reasons why I'm kind of shocked that it's showing up in places I wouldn't expect. I bought a product recently (I don't remember what it was) and it wasn't advertised as "reduced calorie" or anything like that, but I read the ingredients and there it was. I didn't have a problem with it, initially, but I think that I need to reduce my "dependence" on sucralose a tad, and finding it in unexpected places makes me realize that you can't just assume that a product doesn't have unexpected ingredients.