South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #1  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Default How about this load of crap...

The South Beach Diet plan was developed by a cardiologist from Miami, Florida named Arthur Agatston. He is a graduate of New York University. Arthur developed this diet for cardiac patients. This diet plan stresses upon the consumption of "good carbohydrates" and "good fats." He also believes that excess consumption of "bad fats", such as saturated fat and trans fat, contributes to an increase in cardiovascular disease.

However, Mr. Agatston also believes that excess consumption of so-called "bad carbohydrates", like he rapidly-absorbed carbohydrates found in foods with a high glycemic index, creates an insulin resistance syndrome-an impairment of the hormone insulin's ability to properly process fat or sugar.

So, to prevent these two conditions, this diet plan encourages the consumption of good fats and good carbohydrates and minimizes the consumption of bad carbohydrates and bad fats. There are three phases in this diet plan where you will be minimizing the consumption of bad fat all along the way.

Phase One
The first phase lasts for two weeks where you will be avoiding foods like dairy, sugar, bread, cereal, candy, potatoes, fruit, and grains which are high-glycemic carbohydrates. Dr. Agatston claims that during this phase dieters will loose between 8 and 13 pounds as the body will lose its insulin resistance, and begin to use excess body fat.

Phase Two
Phase two begins after two weeks of the first phase. Phase two consists of whole grain foods and fruits are added although gradually in very small amounts.

Phase Three
The third phase is more of a maintenance phase rather than a diet phase which begins after the desired weight loss have been achieved. You are solely on your own at this point of the diet.

South Beach Diet, like other fad diets involves cutting down radically on a particular food group. If you are guessing carbs, then you are right. The diet is very demanding for those that are accustomed to carb-rich diets, for example if you are a pie or cake junky this is probably not the type of diet you want to be pursuing.

This diet can also work out to be quite expensive and time consuming because you need to pay attention to the nitty-gritty detail of how much food to eat and they tend to be of wide variety of foods such as tofu, Cornish hen, Worcestershire sauce, different assortments of herbs and spices, etc.

Lapsing into old eating habits may result in speedy weight gain like any other dieting programs. This dieting program has to be a new way of life meaning bulging at Taco Bell once in a while is not an option. Many people state that it is simply an updated version of the Atkins Diet. Overall, to simplify this diet program, one must possess a great deal of willpower, especially from carb-lovers and lets face it with the different type of food recommended it is very expensive to keep up with the diet program for a long period of time.

Again, like any other diet program keeping oneself active by working out and exercising in a regular basis is the only way to become healthy and shed those nasty pounds of the scale. Think of the South Beach Diet as a quick fix that often backfires as soon as you quit following it. As a result, you will gain all the weight back.

Fad Diets Pose Real Troubles to Your Body
I have a diehard passion to expose the "fad dieting dangers" They will simply take a heavy toll on your body and eventually kill you! I hope that this information aids you on your current weight loss adventure. Please download a copy of my free eBook that exposes the dangers of fad diets.
Download Here

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Garen_Arnold
This link doesn't go to the right article. I googled something related to south beach and it came up as "Breaking News-Is the South Beach Diet Safe..Jul 13,2008..."

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 08-16-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #2  
Beach Bum

I sent a response titled...READ THE BOOK
Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

HA! I should send a response that says, "if I can do it, with my lifestyle, anyone can do it!!"
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #4  
Determined to lose!

Obviously this guy is making a lot of ASSumptions. He does not know the plan and how it works and is trying to discredit it.

Good thing for us we know the truth.

Whats more, the ONLY way to not have to "work" with cooking foods is driving through those (gasps) drive thrus and ordering pizza every night. Been there, done that, and WHAT THE **** WAS I THINKING??????????

Last edited by Loriann7; 08-16-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
for example if you are a pie or cake junky this is probably not the type of diet you want to be pursuing.

So, if you are a pie and cake junky, you probably want to.....
continue eating pies and cakes, I guess?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #6  

Quote:
for example if you are a pie or cake junky this is probably not the type of diet you want to be pursuing.
What "diet", exactly would be best for a pie or cake junky? Seems like an oxymoron.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #7  
Beach Bum

I thought it was awfully funny that he thinks we have to eat tofu and cornish game hen and cook with worchestershire sauce and fancy, schmancy herbs and spices. He is listed as an "expert author". barf
Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyDogMom View Post
I sent a response titled...READ THE BOOK

how did you send a response. what a jerk...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

but if you look at the articles he has written, the following day he wrote one that opened with this line "South Beach Diet safe is one of the more healthy yet popular weight loss diets. And it seems to go down practically well with health professionals."

I don't think this guy knows what he thinks! The pure amount of crap people are able to put out there these days is amazing.

We always used to laugh at my mother and say she would die one day of a mis-print in Prevention Magazine. What is scary is how much some people with take what they read to heart without doing further research.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #10  
it's always something

Check the source

Ezine articles are written by people that own websites as a way to drive traffic to their sites and/or sell things. This guy owns sites that sell diet plans like the weight loss for idiots program.

What he has written above is just marketing to try to sell ebooks. Don't take it seriously.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #11  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Well fortunately for us, we read the book. Parts of this article would be if you were sure no one had been mislead about SB. Wonder what book he read?

avoid dairy
You are solely on your own for this part of the diet (who was with me before?)
cutting down radically on carbs. Huh? I'm eating my
too demanding for a pie or cake junky (guess they don't get off sugar in phase 1, only the ice cream and cookie junkies)
Tofu, cornish hen and worchestershire sauce. Can't say I've had any lately.
Lapsing into old eating habits may result in speedy weight gain. Well, yeah.
Updated version of Atkins.
One must possess a great deal of willpower. Hmmmm - I'd say less than any other eating change I've tried.
Very Expensive - seems to be a common misconception
SB Diet as a quick fix (If only it were quick. Just kidding!)
You will gain all the weight back. (Nope - I'll be hanging out here with the maintainers)

Guess the plan this guys sells is appropriately titled if it's "Weight Loss for Idiots"
Old 08-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The first thing I thought was how odd it was to use "wide variety of foods," as a criticism of a diet. And of course the implication that one MUST eat tofu, cornish hen, and worcesteshire sauce was extremely funny (how did he come up with those three to use as examples), besides that how many people consider worcesteshire sauce an exotic, expensive, or difficult to aquire foodstuff anyway.

And of course, the implication that you (gasp in horror and surprise) might want to season your food, why that's a scandalous idea, no decent person would have thought of this on their own. And what's with the idea that a cornish hen has any magical powers? I don't remember that from the book, most rotisserie chickens from the deli are generally going to be SB friendly, especially if you remove the skin. But, I guess that would sound too affordable.

Just weird.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-16-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #13  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

This guy needs to "read the book". Seriously.

"The diet is very demanding for those that are accustomed to carb-rich diets, for example if you are a pie or cake junky this is probably not the type of diet you want to be pursuing." So is there a pie and cake based diet out there, that works for people with insulin resistance? I thought not. Cakes and pies are the ISSUE with insulin resistance.

And the author contradicts himself here, first he says this: "this diet plan encourages the consumption of good fats and good carbohydrates and minimizes the consumption of bad carbohydrates and bad fats."

--but then he says this..."South Beach Diet, like other fad diets involves cutting down radically on a particular food group. If you are guessing carbs, then you are right."

Umm...first you said we COULD eat good carbs, but then we're radically cutting down on them. Make up your mind.

As others have said, READ THE BOOK.

Can someone tell me when the use of "different assortments of herbs and spices, etc." became a problem??? That's one of the things I LOVE about this diet.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #14  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

LOL, this article was hilarious.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I AM glad somebody finally told me I was supposed to be eating Cornish hens though. I picked some up at the store this morning...
(to be read with dripping sarcasm, although I really DID buy the hens)
Closed Thread