Question re: cereal

• Hi there!

I am on phase 2 week #2 and today am supposed to have "3 good starches". So, I"m looking at cereal, I have been having the Fibre 1 Honey Clusters (14g fibre, 6 g sugar per 55g serving). Now, when I look in the book, it doesn't say how much cereal constitutes 1 good starch serving. Would it be considered to be the serving size as indicated on the box? That's what I've been doing but 55g of this stuff is a good amount of cereal!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Andrea
  • I'm sorry Aemo, but that has added sugar!!!!!

Look for one that doesn't have sugar in the ingrediants! I personally prefer Kashi go lean (not the cluster).
  • Yikes, thanks Loriann!

I like the Kashi Go Lean too. I'm going to get some more today!
  • I believe a serving is 30 grams. I can't find that in the book, but I'm pretty sure I saw Nessa post that on this board . It's what made me realize that I was eating 2 grain servings! Ouch.

My cereal (Kroger brand shredded wheat - 0 sugar) said a serving size is 1 1/4 cups........but that is 50 grams, so no grains for dinner tonight. Boo.
  • Yes, I was wondering if the 55g serving of either Kashi or the Fibre 1 would count as 1 or 2 grain servings. I thought I read somewhere that 15g of carbohydrate was in 1 grain serving which would make the Kashi at 32 g (I believe of net carbs) 2 servings instead of one. Does anybody know??
  • I consider a slice of ww bread a serving as it has 100 calories and 18 grams of fiber. Half a cup of cooked brown rice or half a cup of kidney beans would be a serving too. So I guess the cereals would count as 2 servings in those amounts.
    I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of plain Fiber One as my breakfast serving with ff yogurt and berrries - yummy!
  • Quote: I consider a slice of ww bread a serving as it has 100 calories and 18 grams of fiber. Half a cup of cooked brown rice or half a cup of kidney beans would be a serving too. So I guess the cereals would count as 2 servings in those amounts.
    I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of plain Fiber One as my breakfast serving with ff yogurt and berrries - yummy!

Where did you find WW bread that has 18gms of fiber? I've never seen any that high.
  • 30 grams is a serving that's one ounce.

bread or cereal.
  • I usually eat hot oatmeal, but for cold cereal I use Arrowhead Mills Organic Oat Bran Flakes. Only 3 grams of sugar from concentrated fruit juices, but only medium fiber. Tastes okay. I used to eat Kashi Go Lean, but I no longer eat anything with soy in it.
  • i like plain shredded wheat with splenda
  • Thank you! I thought 55 g looked like a lot for one serving!
  • Have you tried quinoa? That is a delicious cereal type grain and I usually have 1/4 cup dry as a serving.
  • how do you make the quinoa as cereal?
  • I edited my post to say 18 grams of carbs! Sorry. I'd love bread that was 18 grams of Fiber.
  • quinoa is pretty easy: You boil 2 cups water, put in 1 cup quinoa, cook for 15 minutes covered, and then take off the heat and let sit for 12 minutes covered. It's got a nutty, slightly sweet taste: I think it's good with a bit of cinnamon. I also sometimes put some splenda into it to sweeten it up.

Think of it like oatmeal, and you're good to go.