3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Will my family notice? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/148985-will-my-family-notice.html)

mul131 08-12-2008 10:26 PM

Will my family notice?

So last time I was home (I think about 20 pounds of weight loss at that point) NOBODY in my family said a single word about the fact that I had lost weight. Does anybody else experience this? Today one of my coworkers complemented my new hair cut and new glasses that I had gotten since I last saw him...but i wanted to say, "anything else different!?"

Anyways...most people notice and say something, but I am REALLY hoping that my family says something this time when I go home this weekend.

on another note...i'm making sugar-free whole wheat snicker doodles tomorrow...can't wait!

and another note...i think South Beach should have shirts that they give to people with great results that say something to the effect of, "Brought to you by..." on the front and "the South Beach Diet" on the back.

Fat Melanie 08-12-2008 10:39 PM

I'm sure that this time they'll notice a change.

It was really annoying the last time I saw my Grandma because she didn't seem to notice the weight I lost (pregnancy and plus some) and made some little snipy comment about my mother and I not being able to fit in some shirt we liked. Hmm. But then I saw her last week, and she noticed I had lost weight, and even guessed my pant size incorrectly (she guessed a smaller size, awesome.) So family can sometimes be difficult regarding that.

How do you make sugar free ww snicker doodles? I want to make that when I get to ph 2 again.

Good luck when you go home this weekend, I'll bet your family will definitely notice and be very proud.

mul131 08-12-2008 11:11 PM

there's a recipe on this south beach forum for the cookies....i'll post to let everyone know if they turned out ok!

Taurie 08-12-2008 11:15 PM

Mabye it's because you are tall. It's easier to notice weight changes on shorter people. But, now since you lost 20+ maybe they'll notice.

cottagebythesea 08-13-2008 06:31 AM

On some people, even though you've lost lots of weight, it takes a while before others start to notice. Case in point - my sister-in-law has been dieting for almost 6 weeks and has lost 25 lbs so far, and I honestly can't see the difference! (But I'd never tell her that)! ;)

AutumnRose 08-13-2008 07:06 AM

I hope they notice! I would think they would, but who knows. If they don't, just try not to take it to heart.

vealcalf2000 08-13-2008 07:21 AM

I feel your pain. We're both tall so we can tend to "carry" weight a little better than others BUT when we lose weight it seems like no one notices!:( Don't take it to heart, just keep doing what your doing. Also, as you are losing weight are you buying new clothes to show off your new figure? The other day I put on a pre-diet shirt that's a personal favorite of mine and realized how terrible it looked! It hung off the shoulders and looked like it was melting off me it was hanging so low! Ugh!!!! You're weight loss is awesome, don't let anyone take that away from you!!!!

TwynnB 08-13-2008 07:37 AM

Matt,

You'd better bring me a sample of those cookies!!

Your dear coworker,

Tammy

PS - I'll personally go kick your momma's butt if she doesn't say something...your weight loss is SOOOOO obvious!!

Thin4Good 08-13-2008 10:13 AM

My DH just came home on Monday. He has been gone for 3 weeks. I started SB when he left and lost 12 lbs while he was away. - I asked him Monday night if he could see a difference (which I should NOT have done!). He paused, then said, "a little bit" - so. I think that he just said that b/c he didn't want to say no! 12 freaking pounds!!! That's ok though. I can tell a difference. I feel very different! I was also able to wear a dress on Sunday that was too small when I bought it. I didn't try it on in the store an when I got home I found out it was way too small but it fit me perfectly Sunday. YAY!!!

Schmoodle 08-13-2008 10:30 AM

It's hard to predict. I remember last fall I got together with some friends I only see once a year and had lost 35 lbs. And I felt really different and had gone from size 22 to 16, so I was sure they would notice but nobody said a word, and I was really disappointed. Now I have lost only about 5 lbs in the last three months and EVERYBODY is suddenly noticing a difference, even me, and my clothes are suddenly much looser, like I just dropped a bunch. Sometimes I think things just "rearrange" and that makes a difference.

I think the shirts should also say:
"Eat your veggies"
"Beans and dairy are good"
"South Beach is NOT low carb", and
"Not everybody loses 10 lbs. on Ph1"

bargoo 08-13-2008 11:21 AM

Are you still wearing the same clothes that you wore when you were heavier? Loose clothes will make you look heavier. Wear something in your new size and I bet they will notice.

grneyedmustang 08-13-2008 12:49 PM

People are just now starting to notice with me. But I know some people still can't tell. Maybe with the next ten they will be able to tell.

/off topic The snickerdoodles sound SO GOOD!!!!

JulieJ08 08-13-2008 12:56 PM

Also, people may notice, but not say anything. And for good reason - I've seen many posts on 3FC complaining about compliments they get, because, my god, what did they think before??!! Not that I don't understand the feelings of these posters, but I can see why someone would notice and not say anything. It's a mine field sometimes.

JerseyGirrl 08-13-2008 01:08 PM

I agree with Julie. I think sometimes people notice but are afraid to say something because one may think "ok so he did think I was fat before" or maybe the person doesn't want to risk saying anything in case you didn't lose weight and just look slimmer in the outfit you are wearing that day and they don't want you to think that they feel you need to lose weight.

Some people in my family do not want to acknowledge other's weightloss because they feel if they say something like "you look thinner" you may think that you are looking good enough to stop dieting. A little ridiculous, I know.

I also have a grandmother who takes credit any time anyone loses weight because of her negative comments to them. She feels she "pushes" them to do it. I've told her hundreds of times that it doesn't push someone to diet it just pushes them to feel like crap, but she's 80 years old and set in her ways. When she directs these comments towards me when I plateau I just respond with "well then it is a good thing I'm losing weight for myself and not you."

pamatga 08-13-2008 02:26 PM

I never thought about how the "old weight" clothes would make me look fatter. I just had some pictures taken the other night and I went home and I quickly downloaded on my computer to see how they looked (I can never tell by how they are on the back of tha tiny window on digital cameras). The ones from the front made me look 50 lbs heavier but from the side I looked 50 lbs lighter. I would never had thought that! I was just enjoying the fact that they were so roomy. :o

These were the clothes that I brought with me for an extended stay 1000 miles away from home. I would love to buy some new clothes right now but I have been helping my Dad out financially while I have been here. Well, as soon as September comes I am getting me a new bra and a few new clothes. It is time to start advertising!!

As for the t-shirt, well, here I go swimming upstream again. I want a t-shirt that gives me all the credit! After all, it was me doing more than reading the book, I applied what was in between those pages!!

I say give credit where credit is due!;)