need some South Beach support!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Today is my third day on south beach. I am hating it! or at least my carb cravings are hating it. I want to eat ALL the nuts I bought because they taste richer... I'm feeling discouraged. so I thought I would ask you all how long it took for the cravings to go away? Because right now my protein meal recipes all sound nasty though I know I like them in general....
  • third day is always the worst... IME.

for ME i did not worry about portion size in phase 1 just busting the cravings.

so have another string cheese or a hard boiled egg.

for me also a hot cup of coffee or tea helped.

hang in there...

nuts are ok just really high in fat and calories. if you have more than one serving per day you will help bust the cravings but might not lose as much... since this is a long term plan, i'd go for the nuts bust the cravings and plan to take longer to lose...
  • Nessa is right, hopefully you should be feeling better tomorrow.
  • I am on Ph 1 day 6....... I felt pretty awful days 1-3, felt better on day 4 and felt great on 5. HTH!
  • I have been beaching for over 3 years and am currently on p1 again to get back on track! I felt AWFUL yesterday evening, and today have just been wiped. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but hang in there, its worth it. I've lost 30 lbs in less than a year!!
  • Thank you Nessa, Pearl, Autumn... I needed those words of wisdom,and I feel better My cravings are so bad! and I'm at work where I have access... but I haven't given in and I don't plan to. I'm just going to hide in my meesly cubicle and not look ANYWHERE on my way to the kitchen to warm up my SB veggie meat lasagne. sigh. I know my cravings are off the chart because I haven't cracked for over two weeks on the dessert front and was seriously considering it!
  • HI Sciana and welcome to the beach! I hope today goes better for you! And coffee helps me when I have a craving for sweets. . I allow myself more than the one or two cups. I also bought decaf for my cravings at night!
  • I always feel worst on days 3-4 (days 1-2 are full of excitement that I'm sticking to it) and then the real cravings and withdrawal symptoms come on 3-4 when I have the SBD "flu." But after that, I feel energized, satisfied, get more rest, etc.

I started Ph1 again yesterday and hear ya on wanting to eat the entire container of nuts. I bought almonds and cashews, and Tommy bought peanuts, so it was harder than anything not to keep grazing. I'm going to have to start salting my celery stalks or something because I tend to crave salt on Ph1 and think that's why I continue going back to the nuts.

Good luck to you. Stick it out, and you'll feel better here in a day or two.

Lisa
  • Sciana, I wouldn't really worry about portions on phase1...I know I didn't. If you have cravings...eat, eat, eat. (of course only phase 1 foods) I stuffed my face the whole time for about the first week until the cravings went away...and they WILL go away. That stuff you are craving now will probably repulse you after a while.
  • South beach was recommended to me by a nutritionist but i can't afford the book nor can i afford to join the on-line group any suggestions?
  • this group is free. I got the book at my local library. The new book is on hold but i was able to get the old one pretty easily. The updated foods list can be found here (free!)
  • Quote: South beach was recommended to me by a nutritionist but i can't afford the book nor can i afford to join the on-line group any suggestions?
    i never belonged to the online group that costs. I belong to this board and a few other free south beach boards... you can get the books at the library.

or maybe ask around on freecycle to see if anyone has one for you....
  • I just had the same feelings. I could not handle it and came here for support and got it. I will say I did slip and ate a mini 3 Must. Bar, and felt bad about it and the next day promised myself to get on track. Well I did and now I am 3 days away from the end of my 2nd week of Phase 1. And have lost 10 pounds and I feel wonderful. And thank god for my hubby, he allows me to get a little...lol...B*T**y.

So keep strong!!!!
  • , Alihay! You'll get lots of support and encouragement here, along with some great hints and recipes, too. And it's absolutely free! We do insist you read the book first, though, so you'll understand exactly how SBD works and why you must avoid certain foods, it's very important to learn the basics. You can probably find the book at your library, or pick up a used copy for a few $ at Amazon or Ebay. Good luck, and we hope you decide to join us.
  • It will get better. Two weeks of suffering and you will have a lifetime of food cravings under control. Trust in this plan, it is a healthy way to eat for life and you will lose alot of weight.