3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Need exercise DVD recommendation (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/148257-need-exercise-dvd-recommendation.html)

Island Girl 08-04-2008 03:40 PM

Need exercise DVD recommendation

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a dance exercise DVD for someone that needs less impact on the knees? I hate exercise but I forget it's exercise when there is music. I am thinking maybe something like Bollywood or with an African/Caribbean beat or even just some oldies.

KO 08-04-2008 04:16 PM

Hey Island:
How bad are your knees? I have a seated boxing/aerobics tape b/c I had foot surgery and it"s a surprisingly good workout
The series is called Chair aerobics for everyone They're on amazon but if you buy direct its like half price.
they have boxing yoga tai chi salsa and a bunch of others
Hope this helped!
Kierie

Kim_Star060404 08-04-2008 04:39 PM

Have you thought about trying a belly dancing dvd? The ones with Rania were really great. It was a lot of standing ab work and low-impact movements. I remember shimmying a lot...it was fun. :D

greeneyes490 08-04-2008 06:30 PM

I just started taking a belly dancing class downtown and it is so much fun and a surprisingly great workout....you feel it in the morning :).....

weezle 08-04-2008 06:59 PM

I don't know how low-impact it is, but my knees are both shot (right one worse than left) and I really enjoy the Hip Hop Abs series. The time flies by, you learn different dance moves, laugh at the funny trainer guy because he's so proud of his abs and shows them off all the time, and then the next day your abs hurt so bad you can't even laugh. (Good hurt, though.)

I can't even do lunges, my knees are so bad, but I can do Hip Hop Abs. I also like the Carmen Electra strip-tease series that she has out (I found them free on-demand on cable.) That's like NO impact, but it works your muscles and tones them.

Of course I'd never do either of those series without knowing that the boys were out of the house for a long period of time. I'm not really the strip-tease type and hip hop isn't the best style of dancing for me..... actually my style is more like Elaine on Seinfeld.

AutumnRose 08-04-2008 07:42 PM

I agree the Carmen Electra is great. Do you have something like Netflix? Just check out a bunch and see what you like. I adore Zumba but it would probably be hard with knee issues. Maybe just change up the movements with less lunging?

Autumn

CountingDown 08-04-2008 07:44 PM

Zumba is ok on the knees with slight modifications. I also like "Sizzlin' Salsa" and most of the "Dancing off the Inches" series. :)
(sorry to crash the thread - but I just love dance videos)

cottagebythesea 08-04-2008 08:47 PM

If you can get your hands on some of the Richard Simmons "Dancin' to the Oldies", they were great! I wish I had never gotten rid of mine.

KO 08-04-2008 09:26 PM

Cottage I love sweatin to the oldies. . .SOmewhere I have sweatin in the house or dance and sweat. . .PM me if you want it it's yours!

Weezle (Leezle ;) I'm picturing you doing the Elaine Thumbs and Kick!