3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Butter beans + cannellini beans= ? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/145747-butter-beans-cannellini-beans%3D.html)

Lulumum 07-07-2008 02:04 PM

Butter beans + cannellini beans= ?

Any ideas what to do with butter and cannellini beans to make a nice side dish? We are also having teriyaki pork and a green salad. I feel in a beany mood for dinner tonight :^:

Suzanne 3FC 07-07-2008 04:53 PM

I love beans! I recently followed a recipe from Epicurious for a bean salad, and made a couple of substitutions.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-DRESSING-2267

Smoky bean salad with molasses dressing

2 cups dried Great Northern beans

1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds

1/4 cup finely chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
3 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses (I substituted Agave nectar)
2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chilies*
1/3 cup olive oil (I used less, base it on your diet limit)
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

* Canned chipotle chilies packed in adobo sauce are available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.

Place beans in large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Let stand at least 4 hours or overnight.

Combine vinegar and mustard seeds in medium bowl. Let stand at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

Drain beans. Place in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover beans by 3 inches. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain. Cool beans completely.

Whisk sun-dried tomatoes, molasses and chipotle chilies into vinegar mixture. Gradually whisk in oil. Combine beans, red onion and parsley in large bowl. Add enough dressing to coat salad. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

Lulumum 07-07-2008 09:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Suzanne. I love sundried tomatoes, not so much chilies. I guess I could adapt it slightly :).

kaplods 07-07-2008 09:55 PM

I like to saute a bit of onion or onion/bellpepper/celery until soft (in a little olive oil, butter, or 1/2 a slice to 1 slice of bacon chopped fine) and then add in the drained beans (I only do this with light flavored beans: any white bean, green limas, navy or pink beans, adzuki beans etc).

Lulumum 07-08-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 2259451)
I like to saute a bit of onion or onion/bellpepper/celery until soft (in a little olive oil, butter, or 1/2 a slice to 1 slice of bacon chopped fine) and then add in the drained beans (I only do this with light flavored beans: any white bean, green limas, navy or pink beans, adzuki beans etc).

That's kind of what I did in the end- I sauteed onion and garlic in olive oil then added the beans and some asparagus tips I had that needed using up, it was yummy! I do like the idea of adding a bit of bacon, too- I'll try that next time :).

Schmoodle 07-08-2008 10:32 AM

What you ended up making sounds good lulumum. Great job to sneak some extra veggies in there. I couldn't think of anything that combined cannelinis and butter beans, but I love them both and will eat them any old way. Some very good ideas here!

Lizabeth2 07-09-2008 03:13 AM

combined cannelinis and butter beans
I make a white chicken chile that is really good. Can't give exact measurements because I just throw stuff together. Beans, turkey, tomato, chili powder, onions.
By the way, I am new to SB and 4th day into it and enjoying it immensely! Hardly ever hungry. I keep snacks on hand. Cheese sticks are great. I have been journaling my food and I see where it's considered the 'thing' to do to lose weight.

Ruthxxx 07-09-2008 07:15 AM

This Canadian just figured out that "butter beans" are what we call lima beans up here. Duh!

Marathon Mom 07-09-2008 08:39 AM

Not that this is a great side dish - but more for a lunch..

I mix Cannelini beans, a can of tuna, 1/2 a can of petite diced tomatos and mix in some minced onion, salt and pepper, drizzle of olive oil, red wine vinegar and some oregano.

For me it's a very filling protein packed lunch. (makes enough for 2 lunches)

Lulumum 07-09-2008 10:16 AM

These ideas are great- thanks ladies :).

SoulBliss 07-09-2008 10:22 AM

I like cannelini beans with onions, garlic, kale, lemon juice, salt, pepper and good oil. Yum!

I also make a white pasta sauce with pureed cannelini beans (think low fat "Alfredo"). SO good!

Schmoodle 07-09-2008 10:39 AM

Ruth, I have always thought that butter beans and limas are similar but not exactly the same. Limas are smaller and green and generally cooked from fresh. Butter beans look like limas, but bigger, and they are white, and I think they are dried prior to cooking. I'm not sure if these are different beans or the same variety at different stages of maturity. You piqued my curiosity so I googled it and it seems there is contradictory info out there on this. In any case, in my mother's and grandmother's Southern cook households, limas and butter beans are two different things.