New to the Beach

• Greetings everyone!

I am SavarnaRose. I've been lurking for a while and decided to finally jump in. I've learned so much from this board. Thank you for all the info in the stickies. I have the original book and I plan to get Supercharged soon. FWIW, I think everyone here is so kind and supportive, obviously giving a large amount of time to come and read the board and reply to everyone.

I thought SBD was another low-carb diet like Atkins. My stepdad was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and it was recommended for him. My mom is doing it too. I started looking around for more info and discovered it was much more. Coincidentally, I had been looking at the GI type diet already. My blood sugar and cholesterol were high at a recent physical and kind of "woke me up" to how bad my eating had gotten.

I'm officially starting SBD tomorrow. I've been sort of doing it this week as I try to get rid of some food items we already have. I'm starting at a modified phase 1. I am diabetic and my meds will cause a low blood sugar if I don't have some carbs. Hopefully soon I'll have things straightened out and can reduce the meds.

I tend to do most of my eating in the evening, and not eating so much during the day. My blood sugar is also high in the morning (think that could be related? ) I know I have to start eating on a more regular schedule.

Exercise has been difficult for me as well. I've been wanting to get up early and walk before it gets too hot here, but I've not been doing it. Mostly a lack of willpower on my part, but sometimes I'm just tired in the AM. I've managed to get up early a few times but didn't get my butt out the door.

I have my meal plan made up and will go shopping tomorrow. I'm looking forward to some of the recipes. We tried the taco bake and my husband and son loved it. They are picky eaters so it will be interesting what they think of some of the new recipes. For the most part I am making us all the same thing, they just don't have to eat the side dishes they don't like. My daughter doesn't like her foods "mixed up" so I don't make things like casseroles with the veggies mixed in.

I guess I had a lot saved up to say! Thanks for reading. I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Bright Blessings,
    SavarnaRose
  • Welcome and good luck!
  • Welcome Savarnarose, I to am a newbie .....I started SBSC this past sunday so it has been almost a week....and once i got past about the 3rd or 4th day it got easier and the cravings started to back off ....that warm brownie helped ALOT ....I do want to mention how important it is that you eat from breakfast onward....skipping meals probably won't do you any good at this point.....and you may have a hard time with cravings otherwise....I was like you before I started.....I skipped breakfast, snacks and lunch...so i would eat a huge dinner and a snack in the evening and I know now that doesn't work.....so I urge you to try to incorporate all the meals into your day....I look foward to reading your posts and following your progress .....have a great evening .....
  • Welcome & Good Luck!
  • SavarnaRose. You seem pumped and ready to switch to this new lifestyle.

I'm type II diabetic as well and, between some meds and this way of eating, am now in control. I see that you have already explored the Board and found the Diabetic Thread but I hope you will continue to hang out with us too as we have lots of info specific to this plan.

As mentioned by Greeneyes, you must eat breakfast plus the other meals and snacks during the day. Remember this is NOT a low carb plan and including dairy and legumes will keep your BGL stable. Works for me!

Welcome once again and post a lot! A new Phase I thread will be started tomorrow and everyone is very welcome in the daily chat thread.
  • to The Beach, SavarnaRose! You sound like you're pumped and prepared to start eating the healthy way! We look forward to getting to know you!
  • Welcome Savarnarose, I'm a newbie too.

Good luck.
  • Welcome!

yesterday i was told to go on a high fiber diet and told the doctor i was already on SBD... he said 'that's really not enough... until the nurse interupted him and said oh no she's FINE on South Beach it's a lot of fruit and veggies and whole grains so I have my doctor's blessing....
  • Welcome!

I'm betting the exercise thing will be easier on this diet (after the initial week on Phase I...too tired!!), because I feel SOOOO much better on this diet!! I'm stunned at how much better my stamina is...go SB!!!

Good luck!!
  • Welcome and good luck. This group of ladies is amazing and you will find them a huge part of your sucess. I know I did! Be it questions or just plain needing a kick in the butt, we are always here for you!
  • Welcome! South Beach is a great diet and it works! There are a ton of great recipes on this board, which will help this seem even more like a "lifestyle change" and not a diet. And we're here to help support you!
  • Welcome to the beach. This is a fantastic board and the women here really know their stuff and are awesome! Be sure to ask lots of questions and post when you need support. Congratulations on making this change!!! Good Luck!
  • Thanks so much for the great welcome. I love it here already .

I've ordered the Supercharged book and the Quick and Easy cookbook. I do have the original but I wanted to read more on the exercise portion.

So far so good today. I made myself eat breakfast. It was probably a little later than what would be "normal," but I just can't eat first thing in the morning. I've had my snack and lunch. I won't have the afternoon snack since it is so close to dinnertime.

Thanks again everyone.

Bright Blessings,

SavarnaRose