3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Please help, need to make a camping menu & brand new to P2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/144022-please-help-need-make-camping-menu-brand-new-p2.html)

kylera 06-16-2008 01:04 PM

Please help, need to make a camping menu & brand new to P2

Hi guys,

I just finished my first week of P1 and am embarking on the second week. So far, so good! but my family is leaving next Sunday on a week long camping trip. It will be my first week of P2, and I could really use some help planning meals that are camping friendly!

There are 4 of us, my kids are 5 and 9, dh and myself. I am encouraging them to eat healthily, but not making them follow all SBD. We'll have a charcoal BBQ, camp stove, and the only "refrigeration" will be two 5 day coolers. While camping, we try to have meals that are not too diffucult/time consuming to prepare so we can just enjoy our trip and because it seems like everything takes 3 times as long to fix while camping anyway!

Since the cooler space is somewhat limited, we usually try to make several different things that use a lot of the same ingredients, but don't taste the same. If possible, I like to prepackage/ foil pouch as much as I can before we leave.

Since fruit can be hard to keep fresh outside/stored in the car (bear area) for a whole week, I was thinking that the first P2 food I would introduce is a daily serving of brown rice. (More experience folks, do you think that would work well?)

What would you do for your weekly meal plan under these circumstances? (I don't eat fish/seafood.)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

pipernoswiper 06-16-2008 02:24 PM

i am not doing SBD, but i think i have a couple of ideas for you, and if they happen to be "bad" then please feel free to correct me lol! can you have string cheese? that stuff keeps pretty well in a cooler. and what about beef jerky or turkey jerky, that would be a good camp food i think. and my daughter loves the SBD meal kits they have at our local supermarket in the deli section. what about canned chicken breast? i don't know if that would work on SBD either, but it would be easily kept. and what about dehydrated fruit? they have all kinds, again i don't know if it would be okay for SBD.

i hope something here is helpful.......and i'm not just cluttering up a perfectly good thread :)

CyndiM 06-16-2008 02:34 PM

We just went camping! I brought egg muffins, cans of beans to heat mixed with diced tomatoes, Bobs Red Mill whole grain pancake mix, bean salads, veggie salads (we had asparagus), Fantastic Foods dried refried beans for burritos, hummus for dipping & sandwiches, & veggie burger mix, hard boiled eggs. We don't eat meat but I'm sure other people will have more ideas. Have a great time!

Schmoodle 06-16-2008 03:25 PM

When we go camping, I put chicken breasts in a marinade in ziploc bags, and then freeze. It keeps the cooler cold until it thaws enough (second or third day), and we grill it.

kylera 06-16-2008 04:32 PM

Some great suggestions, thank you! I just looked up the egg muffins and will have to try those.

I was hoping to do the same with the chicken... I bought a bunch of breasts on sale yesterday, but ALL of the marinades I looked at had added sugar. I'm looking around here for some SB friendly ones. Do you have any that you can share?

ladybugnessa 06-16-2008 04:35 PM

you can marinate in anything you like

italian salad dressing
soy sauce with ginger and mustard

i also use the kc masterpiece low calorie (due to NSA) bbq sauce... hard to find but if you can find it worth it.

also note that beef jerky is not ok unless homemade due to the sugar content.

Schmoodle 06-16-2008 04:43 PM

Sure, I usually just make my own and they are probably different every time I do it, depending on what I'm in the mood for and what I've got on hand. An acid - balsamic vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice, with some herbs and/or spices, salt and pepper, garlic, onions, wine or soy sauce,etc.and an oil if you want.

If you want a fajit-y thing, then garlic, onion, chile powder, cumin. salsa or enchilada sauce, tabasco
Asian - sesame oil, ginger, garlic, green onions, soy sauce, fish sauce, a little sherry
Francais - dijon or grainy mustard, olive oil, garlic, red wine, thyme

You are only limited by your imagination and your pantry!