Thursday's Thunder

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Oh, my word. You ladies are making me blush!

Tawnya, Gilad cracks me up as well! His troop is just too much!

Heather, I can find agave nectar at Trader Joe's and Wegman's. I think I also saw it at Whole Foods when I went window shopping there awhile ago. Shop Rite and Acme have not had it.

Kim, no news seems to be good news! Please let us know how things go on Monday!

Nessa, have fun!

Kara
  • Quote: I am fairly sure that a Brazilian wax is where they wax your bikini area into this narrow little strip - so you can wear your skinny mini Rio bikini bottoms.

actually I GO BARE totally not even a strip! and they do your tushy too... so here i am on the table on my hands and knees with my but up in the air...

lovely picture eh?

oh did i mention that the YOUNG lady that does my waxings is my bosses daughter????
  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That would be the end of me.

Kara
  • OMG, Nessa you are bold! I could never - I just do my own.
  • Gonna, Happy Anniversary! My DH did a trip like that for my 30th birthday and it drove me nuts but was SO exciting. Hope you have a blast!

Nessa, you crack me up! I'm glad you're having a pampering day! I loooooove facials. Someone to massage my face everyday would be awesome. I've never done a Brazilian, though I'd love to try it. How did you find someone you could trust to do it? It's not a question I'd usually ask my friends... I get a bikini wax, but the woman who usually does it has some trouble ripping off the strips every now and then. It's not an issue for me with the bikini area, but if it was a Brazilian and something stuck? That would not be fun.

TK, I was on St. John's Wort when I didn't have health insurance but knew I was depressed. It can be very helpful--it's an herbal supplement, so it's over the counter. However, because it's an herb, it's not reviewed by the FDA, so you want to make sure that you are getting a good brand that isnt' including bad or low quality stuff. Nonetheless, since I took St. John's they have released a lot of information about interactions between it and prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, food, and alcohol. It can be very dangerous in those situations. Here are just some of them:

Quote:
    Examples of medications that may be affected by St. John's wort in this manner include carbamazepine, cyclosporin, irinotecan, midazolam, nifedipine, birth control pills, simvastatin, theophylline, tricyclic antidepressants, warfarin, or HIV drugs such as non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs) or protease inhibitors (PIs).
    Case reports exist of significant reductions in cyclosporine, tacrolimus, and mycophenolic acid drug levels, and possible organ rejections in people with transplants who are taking St. John's wort. Reports also exist of altered menstrual flow, bleeding, and unwanted pregnancies in women taking birth control pills and St. John's wort at the same time. St. John's wort may interact with digoxin or digitoxin, resulting in a decrease in digoxin blood concentration. In general, individuals should check the package insert and speak with a qualified healthcare professional including a pharmacist about possible interactions with St. John's wort.
    St. John's wort may lead to increased risk of sun sensitivity when taken with other drugs such as antibiotics or birth control pills. St. John's wort may interact with anesthetic drugs. A possible interaction with loperamide (Imodium®) has been reported; confusion and agitation occurred in one patient taking St. John's wort, loperamide, and the herb valerian ( Valeriana officinalis ). St. John's wort may interact with triptan-type headache medications. Examples include naratriptan (Amerge®), rizatriptan (Maxalt®), sumatriptan (Imitrex®), and zolmitriptan (Zomig®). In theory, St. John's wort may also interact with certain chemotherapy drugs such as anthracyclines. St. John's wort may increase anti-inflammatory effects of COX2 inhibitor drugs like Vioxx®, or NSAIDS like ibuprofen (Motrin®).

from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...johnswort.html
    It's also not considered safe for pregnant or lactating moms. I'm not sure if you're still breastfeeding.... Check out these links and learn more about it before you make a decision--I would highly suggest talking with your doctor or at least a pharmacist to help you with the decision.

Information on St. John's wort from Medline Plus

NCCAM's Information on St. John's Wort (great, brief summary of the information)

St. John's Wort Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings These bulleted points aren't in any sort of order that I can ascertain--some of the really important things are lower on the page, so keep reading...

FDA PUBLIC HEALTH ADVISORY on St. John's Wort
  • NOt breastfeeding. He was in the hospital for 4 weeks after he was born and I didn't produce enough milk so I stopped pumping.

Nessa-you guys are soooo brave. I do my own. I would just die knowing that my boss (if I worked outside the home) daughter took care of my butt lol. And the area of. My goodness. Kara-you said it best. Too funny. LMAO.
  • girls, i am old enough to be your mother... i have no shame left....
  • I'm somewhat young and will tell anything anyone asks. I have no shame--really. I don't care. Everyone is human. But I do do my own. Although, it's been awhile and Leo keeps reminding me.
  • Good afternoon. All you chickies who get Brazilian waxes done - more power too you! I have having my eyebrows done, I don't think I could stand the pain! That's why I love the razor

Anyway.... Short for me today - I'm actually on lunch right now, and am thinking about going to the cafeteria to see if they have any fresh broccoli for my salad. I don't need it, I just want it. Gotta love it when you crave veggies!

Hope every one has a great day!
  • laurie-would it work with leo's PTSD? The only thing he takes is ibuprofin for back and knee pain. Thank you so much for the info. I really am gonna look into it. I think it'll also help me get motivated more to exercise and lose weight. Thanks.
  • Nessa, do you chat through it or just close your eyes and imagine yourself on an exotic beach somewhere?

Kara
  • Quote: Nessa, do you chat through it or just close your eyes and imagine yourself on an exotic beach somewhere?

Kara

i chat at waxing.
    i'm pretty quiet during facials...
  • Nessa your a hoot. I bet you would be a blast to hang out with. You remind me of my aunt Marti

Did a 20 minute walk outside on my lunch break - it was soooo beautiful out who could reasist
  • nessa-I would just be quiet if I had someone doing my butt. Then I would be the chatterbox during a facial--I think. You're funny. lol.

DD is getting tired. I can tell. I'm trying to potty train her since pull ups are so expensive and I've got a 9 month old in diapers too and how the world is going now, she needs to potty in the big girl potty. It's hard work. Better go and get something done around the house. See you ladies tomorrow.
  • TK - the only problem with talking to doctors or pharmacists about supplements is that they aren't generally trained in their usage. They don't know how they work, so many of them just resolutely tell you to avoid them and they are dangerous. A better way might be to find a homeopath, naturopath or chiropractor who is trained in alternative medicines if you are on other medications or have other concerns.

If your doctor or pharmacist happens to know about them, that is wonderful. If they just give you the "They're dangerous, they're not tested" song and dance, you might just want to look to a different professional.

The person I got teh supplements from was familiar with my medical history and was trained in their usage, so I had an easier path.