3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Beans... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/140505-beans.html)

Marathon Mom 04-22-2008 02:16 PM

Beans...

I see a lot of SBD recipes with beans as substitutes... (beanie brownies and beanie waffles) Am I missing something? When I look at the carb count - beans have a lot of carbs... What gives?

Schmoodle 04-22-2008 02:19 PM

Well, South Beach is not a low carb diet. We eat lots of healthy carbs, veggies, whole grains, beans, fruit, dairy, etc. Beans are so good for you, lots of fiber and protein. I eat them almost every day - to me they are almost magic if you are trying to lose weight, as they fill you up and keep you from getting hungry too fast. No need to fear the bean (well, unless you or SO have gas issues)!

Marathon Mom 04-22-2008 02:25 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much for the information.

So it's not necessarily the amount of carbs - but the type of carbs. (complex vs simple)...

Can't wait to try the brownies/waffles. :dance:

Schmoodle 04-22-2008 02:29 PM

Exactly! We just want to avoid the things that cause spikes in blood sugar levels.
I love the bean brownies. They satisfy a sweets craving, but also, because of all the protein, they are very filling.

Ruthxxx 04-22-2008 02:32 PM

I've been pitching a half cup of kidney beans into almost everything these days. They give me my required fiber and there are no "repercussions" once your body gets used to the idea.

Marathon Mom 04-22-2008 02:35 PM

Do you recommend I buy the SOUTH BEACH Diet book if I want to lose my last stubborn lbs? Or is it pretty self explanatory to cut out refined/simple carbs and eat natural complex carbs and filling fiber and protein?

Ruthxxx 04-22-2008 03:04 PM

I'd just stick to our food lists and hints in the FAQ Section. You seem to have a good understanding of the concept. You might want to use Fitday to track your calories as you don't have much to lose.

SkinnyDogMom 04-22-2008 04:10 PM

I wish I didn't get "repercussions" from the beans! I thought after eating them most everyday my body would get used to it. Not so. I have just started to try Beano, it does seem to help.

mary83 04-22-2008 04:31 PM

Seriously--I have been a vegetarian since 1999, eating beans several times a week, if not everyday, since then, and I still have the repurcussions!! What gives?? :P

SkinnyDogMom 04-22-2008 04:49 PM

I don't know, but now that I am older, I don't care so much!!! I would have been embarrassed when I was younger to have so many toots!
But I don't like the uncomfortable feeling, the bloating, so I am trying the Beano...I just have to remember to take it.

mary83 04-22-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyDogMom (Post 2163488)
I would have been embarrassed when I was younger to have so many toots!

:lol::lol::lol:

My poor husband. :)