3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Urgh Okra.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/139417-urgh-okra.html)

Jonsgurl0531 04-09-2008 06:46 PM

Urgh Okra....

So I bought some frozen okra.. upon my hubbys request and he told me to cook it like it says on the bag (boil it for 3 mins) then lightly saute(??) it with a little olive oil...

Well I boiled it all right...and when I drained it I noticed it was SOOOOOOO slimy!!... Did I over cook it urgh.. I am soooo not eating it.. He can LOL

Gotta make a salad now...

Maybe I should have used fresh okra? I am all for trying new veggies..but slimy is just GROOOOSSS

zeffryn 04-09-2008 07:12 PM

okra gets slimy when cooked.....you didn't overcook it....but I would say either boil it or saute it.

It's actually pretty good, and a really good natural thickener for soups. Just cook it down and add it to the soup.

femmecreole 04-09-2008 07:30 PM

Next time try roasting it in the oven. Defrost, then spray a pan with olive oil pam, then spray the okra with olive oil pam and sprinkle a little seasoning on it (I like Creole seasoning) then bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. It's even better with fresh whole okra

It's the boiling that pulls the "rope" out. I never "boil" unless it's in gumbo when I want it to thicken.

Smothering it down with onions, tomatos and seasoning is also wonderful...

cottagebythesea 04-09-2008 08:35 PM

Jonsgurl, I had to chuckle when I read your post. :lol: I feel the same way about okra. I love most vegetables, but okra is one that I just cannot develop a liking for. I've tried it all sorts of ways, but no-go on this one. :no:

ennay 04-09-2008 08:57 PM

yeah..okra is great...deep fried. :dizzy:

zenor77 04-09-2008 09:17 PM

I've heard that if you cook them whole that they don't get as slimy.

Of course, I love okra and have never found it to be slimy. I've never boiled it plain though.

Schmoodle 04-10-2008 07:56 AM

Blechhh!

SkinnyDogMom 04-10-2008 11:12 AM

I grew up eating okra, I even grew it in a garden once--it was amazing how much okra was produced.
Growing up, my mom would slice it into rounds and coat it with a flour/cornmeal mixture and pan fry it, she did yellow squash this way too.
My grandmother (from Alabama) would more often boil it whole. My dad loved it both ways. I have eaten boiled and the taste is good, but it is difficult to get past the snotty, slimyness!!!
I still enjoy fried okra and I love it in veggie soups. I will have to try and roast it, this might be the closest to the fried flavor/texture.

KforKitty 04-10-2008 11:28 AM

I can't get past the snotty gloop either with Okra. I tried it again recently but I still think its yucky.

Kitty

jtammy 04-10-2008 11:36 AM

I grew up eating lots of okra also, pan fried like Skinnydogmom described. I don't care for it boiled, unless you boil 1 or 2 with fresh black eyed peas. It is wonderful in soup, it helps thicken it up nicely. It's also good cooked with tomatoes, whole kernel corn and onions. Adding a little vinegar is supposed to help with the slime, if that bothers you.

We grew some every year in our garden growing up and grew it again last summer in the garden we had with my Dad. As long as you keep cutting it, it will keep growing, right through November. It is very prolific!!

Jonsgurl0531 04-10-2008 07:26 PM

okay I did it right then LOL.
My hubby ate it and said it was fine. Maybe next time I will roast it..
he says it kinda tastes like asparagus.. which I think tastes like brussel sprouts which I dont like *barf*

I am so brocollied out right now and wanted to try new veggies..I think I might try egg plant.. but I dont really like eggs LOL

AH well :)
cabbage tonight for me YUM!

chickybird 04-10-2008 07:52 PM

This recipe looked neat:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/roasted-okra.html
Do you think it'd be okay if you sliced the okra first? I've only ever eaten fried okra, but this looks yummy.

Heidelitos 04-11-2008 11:01 AM

Well, the only way I've ever enjoyed okra is in with stewed tomatoes. It tastes really delicious that way. It is one way I can eat "approved foods" when hubby wants to go to an all you can eat buffet.

chickybird 04-14-2008 08:18 PM

I just made roasted okra. It was pretty good! Not as good as french fries, lol, but good anyway!