South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #16  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i don't like stevia either and i don't like licorace either. BTW stevia is part of the ragweed family so anyone with allergies shoudl be aware of that

Personally we use splenda.....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #17  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I use Splenda mixed with another sweetener. I, too, find that mixing makes the flavor better and stops the aftertaste. I have to be careful because Sucralose does the same thing that the "-itols" do. 2 packets of Splenda a day are my limit.

I've tried powdered Stevia before and it seemed very bitter to me.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #18  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Ok totally TMI time!
When I mix artificial sweeteners in the same day erm I have to uncontrollably tinkle it's really wierd but if I have one or the other Splenda or nutra sweet I'm ok
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #19  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Another TMI.....i get gassy when I have artificial sweetener, or as my son and husband say, "farty".

*hangs head in shame*

We need a confessionals thread.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #20  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Our Co-op finally has erythritol available. I picked up a couple of boxes (it was on sale!) and really like it so far. I've only used it on my hot cereal and in my chai but no side effects (and some of you may remember that I'm really sensitive to other sugar alcohols ) and no aftertaste. I'm looking forward to a baking experiment with it.

I do love agave for most things but it's nice to have a no calorie option too. I don't use splenda because of the health concerns I've read about. I am super sensitive to MSG and aspartame and don't want to risk a migraine.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #21  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm a huge stevia fan! I think I noticed a slight bitter aftertaste when I first started using it...but now that I'm used to it, it just tastes sweet to me. I don't find that it has any licorice-taste--I HATE licorice. I think if you bought a brand that you found tasted bitter it's because you might have used too much at once (mine says to add it a little at a time, or else it might be too bitter). Also, I guess some brands' taste better than others. I've used NuNaturals liquid stevia, and I've got a bottle of concentrated liquid and powder coming from netrition.com--the brand is by Sweetleaf, and I read the best reviews for that. So, we'll see! I imagine the stock I bought will last a LONG time!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #22  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Azure, have you tried any of the flavored stevias?

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #23  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post
Azure, have you tried any of the flavored stevias?

Kara
Kara - my partner uses them and loves them. She is particularly fond of the chocolate raspberry in her coffee. She also has lemon, cinnamon, peppermint and a couple of others for baking and other concoctions. We have a few discount/overstock stores around here that specialize in stuff from Northeast Cooperatives, health food stuff, and she picked them up cheaper than usual.

I've never tried them, have been biased against stevia since the powdered stevia days. Seemed every time she used that stuff it became airborne and I breathed it in. it wasn't pleasant.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #24  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
I think its less chemically enhanced than other sweeteners out there.
Interesting. Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
When I get pregnant in a few years, I want to eat as naturally as possible, so chlorinated factory-produced mutated sugar molecules are out for me at that point.
It's nice to see someone else call it what it is!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #25  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I use stevia and agave. Both were available in my small town grocery store (Meijer). I like agave a bit better, but use both. My homemade soy milk sweetened with agave is GREAT. I use the raw blue agave syrup .
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #26  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I've used Sweetleaf brand stevia for a long time and never noticed an anise taste. The Vanilla Creme and Chocolate Raspberry flavors are both very nice. I stir one of them into greek yogurt and top it with strawberries, and it's like a decadent mousse!

I also keep powdered stevia around for recipes. The conversion chart is right on the label.

It is pricey, but worth it to me. And like the others say it lasts a long time. One bottle has something like 300 servings.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #27  
Visualizing the Goal

Thanks for the advice, all! I really appreciate all of your experience!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #28  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I haven't played with Stevia yet, but I have heard some people say that the liquid is less bitter/aftertaste-y/etc. than the powdered kind. A friend of mine says that she has trouble getting the powdered kind to incorporate in her coffee, so she uses the little tablets (come in a box that looks like Tic Tacs or some kind of mints).

Even if Stevia does have an aftertaste, I would think you'd get use to it. My FIL used to own a cheesecake business and made both regular and splenda cheesecakes. When I first tasted the Splenda (before going on SBD), I thought it had a strong aftertaste. A year later, after doing SBD for quite a while, I found no aftertaste at all. I've learned to ask DH to tell me when there's an aftertaste, because I can't tell. I assume it'd be the same with the Stevia.

BTW, the point about dogs and xylitol is VERY important. I never thought about it with my granulated stuff, but ****-O!!! Silly of me, because I know to keep my gum and mints safe from the dog for that very reason.

Last edited by beachgal; 04-14-2008 at 03:27 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote