South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default How easy is it?

I am considering going on the South beach, I've had the old book for awhile, but never actually went on the diet. I am a complete carb addict, so it probably a good one for me. But I was curious as to how easy it is to put into place. I don't generally have a lot of time to cook, and I don't really like the idea of cooking a bunch of food one night and saving it to use later. I don't think I'd actually cook many of the recipes in the book, so my question is, is this something that would actually work for me? What are some of the typical Phase I menus, people have used?
Razz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #2  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I thought it was fairly easy. I don't have a lot of time to cook either. It seemed like you rotated fish, chicken and beef for dinner with vegetables and had salads with (leftover) protein or leftovers for lunch. You can make these really simple, just grilled meat and frozen vegetables if that's what you have time for. Bagged salad and then as many or few added veggies as you have time for plus the protein makes lunch prep quick. Or box up leftovers from dinner for lunch. Breakfasts can be the same everyday if that's easiest for you. You can use the recipes as a guideline and just simplify.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #3  

Well, I did the Atkins diet about 4 years ago and lost 28 lbs. in 3 months. But...it was soooo restrictive and to feel full I ate so much meat, etc. that normally I would avoid - such as bacon, etc.

I did find it easier to follow tho because it told you how many carbs to intake. South Beach diet - I dunno...I want to go this way but I am at a loss as to how many carbs to intake, etc. I am attracted to the fact that I would be free to eat more veggies - and the leaner cuts of meats it insists on makes more sense to me...

I cannot at this time afford a book - suffered severe weather/crop loss here in central kansas last year and hanging on by a thread. ANY info to help me would be deeply appreciated. I'm 5'4", weigh l90 lbs., and live on an orchard that demands heavy work and long hours and I have NO energy. A 1/2 acre. asparagus patch is 'waiting' for me to pick it daily beginning the end of the first week in April, daughter graduating from college in mid-May, and losing her to the Navy in June. Not too much pressure here, folks!

Desperately needing to get my life back in control and balance...
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

we dont' count carbs so i think it's very easy.

basically eat lean proteins, whole grains and lots of fruits veggies and low fat dairy oh and beans...

can you get a copy of the book from a library???
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

I second Nessa's idea of getting the book from the library! That's what I did...just kept renewing it until I felt comfortable with the basics.

This really isn't a hard diet to follow. The only things you have to "count" are servings really - no calories (unless, like me, that's something you need to keep track of) or carbs or fiber or whatever. It's a healthy, long-term way of eating.

I'm curious, Razz, why you don't want to cook extra when you have time and then freeze or refrigerate it for later. It's an excellent time-saving tool and puts good quality food at your fingertips for easy heat-up. This way of eating does require a lot of preparation, in the sense that you need to have good foods in the house and you can't get by on processed, prepackaged junk. But it is worth it, when you think about all the chemicals you're avoiding putting in your body by cooking fresh (or fresh frozen) foods.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #6  

Wow, I am not good at this. I tried to implement the plan yesterday and didn't even make it through a day. I've cutback a little bit on the carbs, but haven't managed to eliminate them. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post

I'm curious, Razz, why you don't want to cook extra when you have time and then freeze or refrigerate it for later. It's an excellent time-saving tool and puts good quality food at your fingertips for easy heat-up. This way of eating does require a lot of preparation, in the sense that you need to have good foods in the house and you can't get by on processed, prepackaged junk. But it is worth it, when you think about all the chemicals you're avoiding putting in your body by cooking fresh (or fresh frozen) foods.

Kara
I still may try it again. But for one I am terrible with portion control, usually when I make a bunch of food at once, I end up eating too much of it. Or the opposite, I'll make a bunch and then I won't really want it later on and it will go to waste. And also I'm not much of a cook.
Razz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #7  
Roz

I am surprised at how easy and suited for me that this diet is. I, too, have a carb fetish, second to none. I ignored this diet for a long time because of the carb and sugar restrictions. When I finally gave in and started it, I realized that the restrictions worked for me and not AGAINST me. How so? Well, with WW (and it's a good diet), I had the tendancy to have things in my house that I could eat, albeit that I had to count the points. Therefore, I was eating too much junk, getting hungry and falling off the wagon. I love this diet and never thought I would be able to tolerate it.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz44 View Post
Wow, I am not good at this. I tried to implement the plan yesterday and didn't even make it through a day. I've cutback a little bit on the carbs, but haven't managed to eliminate them. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day

I still may try it again. But for one I am terrible with portion control, usually when I make a bunch of food at once, I end up eating too much of it. Or the opposite, I'll make a bunch and then I won't really want it later on and it will go to waste. And also I'm not much of a cook.
It's all about determination. The first few days are REALLY hard. No one will kid you about that. But when you make it through those first two weeks and have kicked the carb cravings, life is SO much easier!

What I do when I prepare more than one serving is to package up the remaining food and put it away BEFORE I eat. If I do the clean up after I eat, I'm always snacking on the leftovers, but if I put them away before I sit down to my meal, then they're already gone when I'm done.

You have to get your head in the right place. This is for you. You deserve to eat better. You're making a choice either way - good eating or not good eating. Your pick.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Roz, you hit the nail on the head. I had the sweet tooth from h*ll, and never thought I could stick to any diet let alone one that cut most of that stuff out completely. But it is exactly the fact that you do cut it out and break the "addiction", if you'll excuse the use of the term, that makes it possible for me to stick to this plan.

And yes, the first few days are the hardest, but that is usually when your motivation is the highest. If you can tough it out, it gets much, much easier.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile It is as easy as you make it

Every one here has some great advice and different personal experiences that will, hopefully, ring a bell with you in one way or another.

I studied the book in late November, did a trial run of Phase 2 during the month of December and then decided to do the Phase 1 on January 1st. I have been following Phase 2 since January 15th. In fact, I forget that I am dieting. Honestly.

This food plan was developed by a cardiac doctor for his diabetic and cardiac patients to get their blood chemistries back to normal. When they started losing weight and their friends asked them how, the "Diet" was born!

Whenever I get stumped, I go back to this original telling of how the diet was developed. Anything that keeps your blood sugar level, reduces cravings for foods (usually high glycemic index foods) and is heart healthy is what this food plan is all about. Think: healthy, whole foods prepared in simple but tasty ways.

The added twist that separates this diet from others that promote healthy foods is that you are "training" yourself to be sensitive to how certain foods affect your appetite and your blood sugar. You become your own 'expert". That is why what, how and when I eat may be totally different than what others eat here. This is not a "one size fits all" kind of diet. It is purposefully customized so you are "in charge". I think, for some people who are accustomed to being told what to do this can be unnerving at first but once you regain control over what you put in your mouth, you will find that you will have it no other way!

I have been told by others that once you start to eat "normal food" you will regain your weight. Well, I am eating "normal" food for a "healthy" person. I am eating foods for the person I wish to become and plan to stay there. I am eating for "tomorrow" and not "today".

It does take a quarter of a turn in your mind set but once you do that, then you are going to be fine. In fact, this food plan, in Phase 3, is fine for your family and friends. And, guess what, my DH eats the exact same foods that I do except he eats more potatoes than I do. The same! I love that aspect because then I am not buying "my foods" vs the rest of the family's foods. Also, it is very restaurant friendly. It "carries well", as the saying goes.

Good luck!

Last edited by pamatga; 03-26-2008 at 01:50 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote