South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

Default SF pudding?

I thought we were allowed SF pudding. In the book Good fats good carbs it says to avoid on all phases. I figured on phase 2 I could have SF pudding every night instead of the ricotta deserts.
cathbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Cathbro, before I say this....

I want you to know that I am personally following the official South Beach Diet website's guidelines. It may not be as updated as the 3FC one or it may differ. However, before I wrote this I went back to my copy of the official SBD Phase 2 guidelines and it does list under Miscellanous on the accepted Phase 2 foods allowed: fat free and/or sugar free pudding. It does not say "sparingly" like it does for other starches, which include whole wheat or multi grain breads, specific cereals like Fiber One and Uncle Sam, and/or other starches like green peas.

However, I would not have more than one since they are still 40-60 calories per 1/2 c. individual serving. It is about 3 TB. if you make a bowl of it.
Without reopening an ongoing discussion again, it is my opinion, according to what I have just referenced, that you can be allowed the sugar free pudding within your 75 calories "Sweet Treat" per day that you are allowed on Phase 2.

You can accept my opinion or you can ask other people. My feelings won't be hurt. They may have other "reasons" why they do not feel you should be eating that every day. I have had one of those each day since I have been following Phase 2 (January 15th) and I have not had any adverse "reactions" from doing so. It does have cornstarch which could possibly cause a reactive hypoglycemic craving.

I guess, you are allowed so now the decision is how does it affect your cravings and/or your overall weight lose---two of the key components of following this food plan.

I hope this didn't muddy the water further.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #3  

I think I made a mistake. It says, instant pudding, sugar free w/ reduced fat milk avoid on all phases. I guess we can't eat instant for some reason. I was hoping to save money and by instant pudding in the box since the cups are more expensive. I guess I will stick with the cups.

I have been in a practice mode all week (I start phase 1 Monday) and I have had no cravings at all I have even eaten a bowl of cereal once (Fiber One)and strawberries twice and it has not induced cravings. I think I could really go to P2 but I won't.

I think I am seeing so much progress because I have not eaten breakfast since I was 13 years old. I am not kidding, since I was in high school my diet consisted of candy and chips or crackers for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. For dinner I would eat whatever,,, burgers,fried chicken, or nothing at all. If I wanted to lose any weight I would just fast for days and drink tons of water maybe eat a salad. I had the absolute worst diet known to man. It is really pathetic that I lived that way.

I think me eating right for the past 3 months has shocked the heck out of my body. My energy level is unbelievable! Well I hope I can continue on this way, so far so good.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

my understanding is that the instant pudding in the boxes that you make with skim milk is allowed but that the cups are not due to corn starch in the cups.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #5  

I took a look at my Good Fat/Good Carbs and while it says to avoid instant, it does not say list instant Sugarfree which is what we should be eating. I have been on South Beach for years and I've always used the instant sugarfree puddings (I make them with skim milk) whenever I am in phase 2. We just need to avoid it in phase 1.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #6  

Is the SF strawberry Jello in the cups okay, or do we have to make it from the box? I love them.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522 View Post
I took a look at my Good Fat/Good Carbs and while it says to avoid instant, it does not say list instant Sugarfree which is what we should be eating. I have been on South Beach for years and I've always used the instant sugarfree puddings (I make them with skim milk) whenever I am in phase 2. We just need to avoid it in phase 1.
yep I agree! cause i left out the sugar free part!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathbro View Post
Is the SF strawberry Jello in the cups okay, or do we have to make it from the box? I love them.

the jello cups are fine... dh used them a lot in phase 1!