3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Starting Today with South Beach....could use some pointers! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/136447-starting-today-south-beach-could-use-some-pointers.html)

frustratedieter 03-07-2008 03:00 PM

Starting Today with South Beach....could use some pointers!

Hi! I'm new by about a week to the 3FC site and have liked it so far. I'm insulin resistant with hypothyroid and through my investigations have found that low-carb is the way I need to go!
Today...is my first day on the program (phase 1) and I'm finding that I'm hungary pretty quickly after eating. I'm thinking my body is going into withdrawal from the previous plan (low-fat) that I was doing. I'm really excited though and hope that I will have good results with this.
Can anybody give me some pointers please???

GONNABE165 03-07-2008 03:15 PM

Hello & welcome!

One of the biggest suggestions I can give you and many of the girls doing SB will back me up on this READ THE BOOK

other suggestions would be lots of veggies, get in your dairy & protein

Good luck and keep posting so we can follow your progress

Ruthxxx 03-07-2008 03:30 PM

:welcome: I second the book recommendation. Also be sure to really explore the FAQ and Recipe sections plus join us on the Phase I and Chat threads. there is lots of info and support in here - and we have fun too!

Pearlrose 03-07-2008 03:40 PM

Welcome, make sure that you are eating enough so that you are not hungry- portions are not limited as long as your eating correct.

little chick 03-08-2008 03:20 PM

Welcome to the beach. Make sure you get your 4.5 cups of veggies a day. Make sure you join us in the daily chats.

cottagebythesea 03-08-2008 05:43 PM

:welcome3: to The Beach, fustrateddieter!

frustratedieter 03-08-2008 07:40 PM

Well I'm nearly through "Day 2" of the 1st phase of SB!!! I've been having a slight headache all day and not sure if it could be "diet" related or if it's due to a weather change. Anyone else experience this??
It's going pretty well I think! I will be at the grocery store more than usual with this, I think, stocking up in fresh veggies!!

wnt2bthnr 03-08-2008 08:11 PM

I just finished day 1 of Phase 1! I did have a slight headache today. I think it is from lack of sugar and caffeine. It is kinda a jolt to my body to actually treat it right! :) Hang in there!

jillybean720 03-08-2008 08:15 PM

I'll second the others--have you read the book? It's very helpful in knowing what's really going on with SB. You said you've found that low-carb is the way you need to go, but SB really isn't low carb--it's more good carb and good fat. Even in Phase 1, there are carbs allowed from things like veggies, beans, and dairy. Then, after those first 2 weeks, things like fruits, more veggies, and whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat products, etc.) can be added back in.

A headache is pretty normal--it could very well be sort of a sugar withdrawal. Make sure you're drinking LOTS of water and eating your good carbs (beans, veggies, and dairy) each day to best help fight this.

Also, on the fresh veggies, I buy them only once or twice a week. The rest of the time, I cooked with frozen veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, chopped onion, etc.). As long as the ingredients say the only thing in there is the veggies, then frozen veggies are just as good (if not better) than fresh. Just a suggestion to save you on a few trips to the store :^:

frustratedieter 03-08-2008 08:43 PM

I do have the book but it's interesting to "talk" to actual people who are doing the same thing! Isn't that the point of the forums?? Anyway I "do" appreciate the input and suggestions etc that you all are sharing here! I am working on the book as well! I purchased mine when it first came out several years ago. I thinking I should go into the SB website as well for some ideas etc. Thanks everyone!!! :-)

little chick 03-09-2008 07:59 AM

I jumped into this woe before I actually read the book. And I learned far more in this forum. I did eventually read the book, so glad to hear that you are reading it as well. The headache is what we all call the SB Flu, and it is from sugar withdrawl. Make sure you drink lots of water.

frustratedieter 03-09-2008 04:55 PM

I'm in Day 3 and the headache is gone! I feel pretty good today actually. I find that 2 to 2 1/2 hours after each meal and I'm hungary again so thank Heaven's for the veggies and other allowable snacks! Hope these 2 weeks fly by quickly though!
I AM re-reading the book!!! Amazing the information that one doesn't retain! But it's helpful! Does anyone belong to his weight-loss-online?? I wonder if it's just another way to make $$$$$ or if it is worth joining! I already have the book and the cookbook so with this site think I'll pass on joining there.

cottagebythesea 03-09-2008 08:09 PM

fustratedieter, I'm glad you got past the SBD flu hurdle. Are you having enough dairy and beans every day? Most of the time they will prevent you from getting headaches and that flu-like feeling. As for reading the book, I've been following SBD since Jan. of 2004, and I still have to go back and re-read the book sometimes just to refresh my memory. A new, revised book is coming out in April/May, and I'm eager to see what what, if any, changes have been made. A few of the chickies here had tried the official SBD website, but found they can get the very same up-to-date information here, and it's free! :)

pamatga 03-10-2008 01:53 PM

Welcome, Phase 1 chickie

Cottage said it well, just one addition, actually the official SBD website community board is free too. I visit there often. The main difference is that everyone there is on SBD whereas here we can surf all over the place. I feel that reading on this website is much like religion, there are many paths to the same Truth, and all of them contain elements of that Truth.

I have learned as much from this forum as I have from the 100+ Club, the Active 50+, the Maintainers, Overeaters Anonymous, Weight Watchers and Sugarbusters. I visit all of these and often. As I see it, we all have the same common goal: we want to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy and sane way. I consider this my "home" (sweet home) though. I have gained invaluable information, insights, support from all of you here.

:welcome: and good luck on your journey to a NEW YOU!!:hug:

i ate my skinny me 03-10-2008 10:06 PM

:wel3fc:

You'll find lots of great info and supportive chicks. make sure to check out the recipe lists it will help you get over the same food slumps. Have fun exploring the site.
Angie