3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Sick And In Need Of Comfort Food (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/136338-sick-need-comfort-food.html)

JerseyGirrl 03-06-2008 11:24 AM

Sick And In Need Of Comfort Food

Hello ladies...I have what the doctor called the "superflu" and I really could use some comfort food. My throat is really sore and my "go to" comfort food in this case was always mashed potatoes(not a fan of the mashed cauliflower) or mac n cheese because they go down easy. I've just about had all the soup and tea I can stomach at this point as I've been living on it for a few days. The doctor said I should avoid fruit, juices, vinegars, anything acidy pretty much and also dairy for a few days. Anyone have any simple ideas for SBD phase 2 comfort food? Also does anyone else feel like they get cravings for food we can't have on SBD when sick?

jandaman 03-06-2008 11:40 AM

oh, you poor thing! i can totally relate to yearning for cure-all comfort foods when ur sick. i crave grilled cheese sandwiches, lucky charms and ice-cream. maybe it has something to do with the enormous effort that goes into sticking to SBD and when we're ill, we just don't have that extra strength. could be a psychological thing..i crave grilled cheese because my mom used to make it for me. my SBD equivalent comfort foods are basically lentil mush (dhal) sounds icky but v. yummy..unfortunately also very much not simple ;( sorry! i'll post it anyways:

(recipe from kalyn's kitchen)

1 1/2 C red lentils
3 1/2 C water
6 serrano chilies (or 3 jalepeno?) either whole or sliced in quarters
1/4 t turmeric, or more to taste
1 1/2 t salt

4 T ghee, butter or vegetable oil
1 C minced onions
1 C chopped tomatoes
1 T grated fresh ginger

2 T ghee or vegetable oil
1 T panch phanon mix
4 dried small red chilies
1-3 cloves garlic
There are three basic steps to this recipe: cooking the lentils in water, making a tomato/onion/ginger mush, and making a spiced oil.

1. Rinse lentils well, add water, serrano chilies, turmeric and salt. Bring carefully to boil and cook over low to medium heat, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Cover and cook another 10 minutes. Adjust salt.

2. While lentils are cooking, cook onions in a frying pan in the oil until they are golden brown (approximately 10 minutes), stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and ginger and continue cooking until the tomatoes decompose into a delicious and fragrant mush (approximately 8 minutes.) Stir constantly so that tomato mixture doesn't stick. Turn heat to low if necessary.

3. Scrape out this mush into the lentils and stir it in. Let lentils sit while you make the spiced oil.

4. Do a quick rinse of the frying pan, without soap, and dry thoroughly. Add the remaining 2T oil and heat over medium high heat. When oil is hot add panch phanon mix and heat until the seeds begin to pop, about 15 seconds. Add red chilies and fry for another 15 seconds, until they turn a little darker. Turn off heat and add the crushed garlic and let sizzle for about 30 seconds. Stir this mixture into the lentil/tomato mixture

Barb0522 03-06-2008 11:54 AM

If you have whole wheat pasta and cheese in the house you can make your own macaroni and cheese. Rice would also be okay in phase 2. Uncle Ben's converted is on plan and easy to make if you don't have any brown rice.

JerseyGirrl 03-06-2008 12:02 PM

Thanks ladies!! Both are good ideas, but i'll have to wait until im better to try them as I have to avoid tomatoes and spices...and dairy products for the next few days...I don't know how much longer I can go w/o cheese!!!

beachgal 03-06-2008 12:07 PM

JerseyGirl :getwell: I hope you feel better soon!

There used to be a free daily newsletter from Dr. Agatston that gave us tips on how to do SBD. It was called the "Daily Dish" and one of the issues gave information on what to do when you're sick. It took some doing, but I found the original post of that Daily Dish. Hope it helps!

There are a lot of SF cold medicines and cough drops out there now. If you can't find them, ask a pharmacist for help. With more and more people suffering from Diabetes, it seems that we're getting more options for sugar-free medication.

I try to be gentle with myself and stick to plan as much as possible. I know that eating healthy is much more likely to make me feel better than the "gone in a minute" pleasure I'd get from eating something off plan.

My favorite SBD comfort food (okay in all phases) is refried beans. I get the fat free or vegetarian ones, mix in a little salt and granulated garlic, then heat 'em up in the microwave. I add some SF salsa and a sprinkle of LF cheddar cheese. It's divine! :cloud9: You could try it without the cheese and salsa. Maybe add some soy sour cream? :shrug:

I'd probably either make homemade mac n' cheese or use Annie's Homegrown Organic WW Shells and White Cheddar (you have to scroll way down on the page to find it, sorry! It lists the ingredient list and nut'l info). But you said the doctor doesn't want you consuming diary for a while, right?

Do you think you'd want some chili? You could try the White Chicken Chili recipe in the recipe forums...I don't think it has tomatoes. There are a lot of simple recipes out there. This has lots of dairy, so you'd have to wait until you can put that back in your diet, but I think the Chicken Divan is great comfort food.

What about baby carrots, cooked until they are really mushy, with SF maple syrup and smart balance?

JerseyGirrl 03-06-2008 12:17 PM

beachgal...thanks for the tips! refried beans sounds great..i didn't even think of that and maybe even do the baby carrots for desert...that sounds really good.

I tried chili last night and even that was too solid to get down w/o wanting to cry from the pain. My throat is really swollen to the point where the doctor had to give me a shot to bring the swelling down. I was even having a hard time getting water down. That is the 2nd time in a year that I made a doctor say "I've never seen anything like this." What can I say...if I do something I do it big. LOL

femmecreole 03-06-2008 12:25 PM

chocolate milk? Mashed sweet potatoes? sf fudsicle? popsicle?
whole grain pasta with a little ICBINB? Brown rice with chopped up turkey or chicken sausage? ( when I was a kid and sick, my Mom would cook rice and cut sausage patties into small pieces and mix it with a little butter...so that is comfort food to me) Another local favorite is rice and eggs.

beachgal 03-06-2008 01:52 PM

Go, Cat! :love: You are a stud when it comes to this! I know who I'm going to next time I'm feeling sick... ;)

I'm so sorry you're so sick, JerseyGirl! :( That sounds just awful! I hear you on "doing it big" -- me too! :o I second the popsicle and fudgesicle ideas. I'm pretty sure fudgesicles don't have any dairy. :chin: I had a dickens of a time finding non-acidic popsicles for DH when he had a tonsilectomy last year, though. I wonder--we have these little Italian Ice cups here in the frozen section, and they make a SF box that has lemon and cherry flavors. Lemon would be painful, but the cherry is really mild.

I also love a smoothie made with frozen fruit (no sugar). I usually make it with yogurt. I made one for DH when he had his tonsilectomy and I even made it with peaches so they didn't have any acid, but it "burned" his throat! :eek: :o Might want to wait on that...

TechieGrrl09 03-06-2008 05:24 PM

I hope you feel better soon! A definite "sick" food for me is chicken noodle soup or tomato soup.

I have recipes for both from the South Beach Diet Cookbooks.

Rustic Tomato Soup
Total Preparation Time: less than 15 minutes Source: The South Beach Diet
Actual Cooking Time: 15 to 30 minutes Total Servings: 4
Ingredients
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil 3 cloves Garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes 28 ounces Tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp Fresh basil, chopped 11 ounces Vegetable juice, low sodium
1 Salt 1 Pepper
Preparation
Directions Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, if using; stir
occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, basil, and vegetable juice. Increase heat to
medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

Here is the recipe for the Chicken Noodle Soup from Kalyn's Kitchen.

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...y-chicken.html

I can get the recipe from the SBD cookbook, but right now I can't read very well. And you can make 1/2 a grilled cheese sandwich to dip into the soup too!

Get lots of rest and feel better soon. :getwell:

SkinnyDogMom 03-06-2008 09:29 PM

Scrambled eggs-soft, warm and comforting
Sweet Potato-baked or mashed, add a bit of splenda if you like them sweet
I also keep thinking of the BRAT diet...this is for kids when they have nausea & vomitting. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. You could stick with brown rice and whole grain toast to stay SBD compliant. I think you can find sugar free applesauce, or a recipe if you wanted to make your own.
Hope you feel better.

blondywants2bethin 03-17-2008 09:32 PM

chicken soup

pot of water with celery and onions and carrots (if your in P1 dont eat carrots )

the white meat chicken cook for an hour

really good feel better :hug:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...uXZ/weight.png

ThinAgainBeginAgain 03-18-2008 11:22 AM

My old stand-by food for when I've got a cold or the flu is Hot and Sour soup from any chinese take-out. I believe it's SB-friendly too. (Normally I'd have it with plain white rice, but, that's not SB-friendly). The Hot and Sour soup is spicy, and opens up your sinuses, but it goes down fairly smoothly.

Get well soon!!

ladybugnessa 03-18-2008 11:28 AM

i'm no help.

mashed potatoes are my comfort food.

but when i'm sick it's scrambled eggs, oatmeal, tea and toast.

and hot toddies half orange juice half water some sugar.. heated mom used to make it for me... can you imagine....

pamatga 03-18-2008 03:46 PM

I hope you are feeling better JerseyGirrl

I am sorry to hear that you are sick and just before Easter too. Boo hoo.

How about some ice chips?

hope you can feeling better soon.:hug: