3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Information on South beach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/136224-information-south-beach.html)

Sarae878 03-05-2008 10:47 AM

Information on South beach

Hi All,
I am currently in week 1 of Atkins but my dad said to look at South beach so last night i went and bought the book and read it. The problem I have is I'm the kinda person who needs to see actual numbers as guidelines. For instance with Atkins you cant go over 20 net carbs a day in the Induction period. South Beach doesn't have these parameters. What is the saturated fat limit and carb limit for phase 1 of SB?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok I found the FAQ page and it really helps! One question I do have when transitioning to phase 2 how many grams of carbs are recommended you gradually put back in? Atkins it 5-8 grams.

beachgal 03-05-2008 11:22 AM

Hi, Sara!

When I started SBD it was on the advice of my doctor--she said her patients had success on both Atkins and SBD, but that those who used SBD seemed to be able to keep it off while her patients who used Atkins to lose their weight eventually gained it back. :shrug: That's just one person's perspective. I think, since then (2003) that some have suggested that SBD is a healthier way to eat, long term, than Atkins.

What's really hard for Atkins followers to get when they move to SBD is that you don't count any carbs at all. I'm really fond of strict guidelines myself, so I understand your need for numbers. Here are the basic guidelines--keep telling yourself that you don't need to worry about how many grams of carbs, just about what KIND (good or bad) of carbs you're eating.
  • Only one serving of nuts a day in P1 and P2. One serving is: 30 pistachios, 20 peanuts, 15 almonds/walnuts/cashews/pecans/etc., or 2 Tbsp of natural peanut butter (no sugar or trans fats).
  • 25 (is it up to 35 cals now, chicks? :?:) calories of "sweet treats" each day. The best way to figure out what's a sweet treat and what's not is to keep in mind that this guideline is meant to help you avoid the gastric distress that comes along with many sugar alcohols. Sweet treats, therefore, are non-nutritive sweets (hard candy, popsicles, gum, jell-o, etc.).
  • Watch portion size on fruit and good carbs. As you work through Phase 2, you'll figure out what your body can tolerate. Check out the What's Your P2 Combo? thread for more info and lots of examples.
  • Have approximately 4.5 cups of vegetables each day (this works out pretty much to having at least a serving at each major meal and (at least) one snack. This one is key! Check out the Best Veggies to Eat thread for good info on what kinds are best.
  • Avoid bad fats (trans and saturated) and use moderate amounts of good fats (olive oil, canola oil, etc.).
  • Avoid bad carbs (simple sugars--check items with flour for the word "enriched") and use good carbs (whole grains, whole fruit, etc.)
  • If you drink caffeine, stick to no more than two 8oz servings a day (includes soda, coffee, tea, etc.)
  • After P2, you can have 1 oz of dark chocolate each week and moderate amounts of dry, red wine. Watch those portion sizes!

That's it, pretty much! There are some guidelines for dairy, but I actually didn't realize that (for some reason???) until very late in the game and I never had any trouble even though I eat a lot of fat free dairy... You'll find the exact number in the FAQ or Phase 1 and Phase 2 Food lists and can try it to see if it helps.

If you can let these guidelines be enough, you'll do great! If the need to have numbers overcomes you, try entering your food into www.fitday.com (free tool) so you can look at how many calories you're eating. Each person is different, but we all should be eating more than 1200 calories or our bodies will think we're starving and really hold on to our fat.

Good luck! Hope to see you around at 3FC if not in this forum! :D

Sarae878 03-05-2008 02:29 PM

Thanks so much beachgal. I love milk and fruit which I cant have it on Atkins. After this next week Ill start slowly incorporating then into my diet.

beachgal 03-05-2008 03:09 PM

Glad to be of help, Sara!

You did read the SBD book, right? I just want to make sure you know that even though milk (Fat free, 1%, and small amounts of 2%) are allowed in all phases, you can't have fruit until Phase 2. :)

Glad to hear that you're joining us! :)

Sarae878 03-05-2008 04:07 PM

Yeah I read the book Im just scared to add milk Ill do it gradually in Phase 2