South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #1  

Default South Beach hELP

I am thinking of starting SB. I have been struggling with Weight Watchers and just hate counting the points, plus it is very very slow coming off.
Could you give me some suggestions on getting started I do not have the book and am not interested in how the darn thing works just how the plan goes. Do you guys like SB as a l way to eat.
For instance what is your typical daily menu ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frustrated
Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Honestly, It really does help to understand How and Why it works and the best way to do that is to read the book (bummer, I know) Check your local library to see if they have a copy if you don't want to purchase it. SB has been a lifesaver for me.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #3  
Determined to lose!

I agree with femmerc... and what we all eat differs as each and every individual has their own tastes, while some will plan 3 or 4 meals a week with some sort of seafood other's struggle to get seafood in once a month. Some steer clear of all breads whatsoever while others institute the allowed 100% whole wheat breads in p2. your menu is something you need to taylor for your own self. HOwever, there are threads that people do share their menus for the day, this might give you an idea what they are doing!

Take a peek, even print out the allowable foods in each phase in the sticky's at the top of this forum, browse the other stickies, they are chock full of information that may help with your questions.

We are all here to help if you need us, thats why we are here! I know I need all the help I can get! LOL.. but then, some would tell you there's no help for me!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

I second that - about the book that is. It's really short actually so it's not torturous. I read it in a few hours. It makes so much sense and will really help you stick to the plan. It will also help when people ask you about it. I've had so many people ask me about it, and I actually know what I'm talking about.

I can tell you typical foods in the first two weeks are eggs, lean meat, LOTS of veggies and cheese. That's pretty much it.

I'm in Phase 2 right now and it's incredibly easy. There is so much sugar-free stuff out there and whole wheat is getting easier to find. Just be careful, you'll turn into a label-reader like I have!! Everything I pick up I turn over and read the ingredients. It's like a whole new life and it's awesome!!! I'm down 18 lbs and it wasn't even really that hard!

JOIN US ON THE BEACH!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

This really isn't a quick-fix plan. The weight will probably come off a pound or two a week, but it will be a slow and steady loss. You really do need to read the book to understand the plan, like the other gals have already said.

We'd love to have you come over, though! We have loads of fun here!

Kara
Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

For me SB has been much faster than Weight watchers and not as tedious. I do count the calories and tend to be very strict with starches as I don't tolerate grains very well.

You need to track your calories somehow. Weight watchers does it with points. Look around the site for ideas as to how we eat. There is a lot of info posted in addition to the book. I like Fitday for tracking calories.
Generally I found the points way too high for me to loose effectively.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

hi!

also have tried the ww, i ended up obsessing about the whole points thing day and night and it didn't really help me to eat more healthily..i would save up all my points to eat cookies etc. sbd is more than just a short term weight loss program, it helps you to change your nutritional habits long-term. i know i know preaching to the choir and all but sbd has changed my life! you can pick up a used copy almost anywhere, even online. it is worth it!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #8  
Determined to lose!

I picked up a copy at the local used thrift shop for a friend for all of $4.

The reading part is only about half the book the other half is recipes!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #9  
Enjoying healthy living

Height: 5'9"

I agree, read the book, it's a quickie and it does help you to understand why SB works. After that, I found most of my valuable stuff (the latest food lists, recipes, support) right HERE!!

I've done WW (long time ago) with success but, with lots of obsessing. I tried Alli, which gave me a rumbly tummy most days and didn't do much for me, and I was just about to give up when I ran into a friend who'd lost 75 lbs with SB. She'd been heavy all her life and at 43, found something that worked well for her. My husband and I went on SB the next day, and, since November 5, he's lost 41 lbs and I've lost 27.

I personally don't count any calories, fat or carbs. Neither does my husband. Freeing myself from all that counting and obsessing is what has kept me on this plan. I have found what I can eat that keeps me full, keeps my energy at an even keel, and lets me continue to lose weight. It's different for each of us though, that is why you need to read the book.

I do hope you try SB, I don't think you'll be sorry. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile You came to the right place

asking questions is a good start. I came over from WW Flex points because I thought I was losing too slow. Well, SBeach is even slower BUT I was one of those people who would save my points for bad food choices. Dumb, I know, but I'm fessin up here!

I came to SBeach for all the wrong reasons but I am staying for all the right reasons.

1)it is about changing the way you look at food and what you put into your mouth. I'm not saying other programs don't do that but I fix the same food for my DH as I eat. The only difference is I may make different choices depending on what I can eat in terms of which Phase 1 or 2, what foods "affect" me and my overall weight lose. The point that I am making is that this is a healthy way to eat for your entire family including children.

2)Once I started eating to live and NOT living to eat (okay it's still a daily struggle) then I realized that all of the counting points and "playing games" with myself was only masking the work that I still need to do regarding my emotional "cravings" and my being at cross purposes with myself. Now, that I can separate the two I can spend time focusing on my "fat head". Eating SB way will take care of the "fat body".

Glad to have ya, great bunch here, welcome again

Last edited by pamatga; 02-28-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #11  
pound by pound,day by day

S/C/G: 288/283/150

Height: 5'6

Read the book, just learning what effect my old eating habits had on my body was motivation enough to change to this WOL and I honestly do not even have cravings or temptations to put that junk back in my body now. Before I actually read the book I was on track then off and on again, I could not commit. Now, I can't beleive the crap I was feeding myself before!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I believe Nanci has switched to WW Flex so I'll close this thread.
Closed Thread