3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   P2 yogurt question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/134876-p2-yogurt-question.html)

seaduck 02-19-2008 06:16 PM

P2 yogurt question

One of the things that I like about SB is that it allows dairy -- which just seems healthy to me.

But I'm confused about yogurt --not sure if I misunderstand, or if this is a case of one of those famous 'inconsistencies.' My nightly dessert in P1, and now in P2 has been nonfat plain yogurt, with Equal and cinnamon sprinkled in. I love it. I've been having maybe a cup, which is 110 calories.

Here's the confusion: the guidelines say 2 cups milk/dairy daily, including yogurt. But only 75 cals of Sweet Treat. So....if I took out the Equal, I could have two cups of yogurt? :dizzy:

cottagebythesea 02-19-2008 06:27 PM

Seaduck, I wouldn't count yogurt as a "sweet treat". I think you can have that in addition to your daily sweet treat. You can use as much artificial sweetener as you can tolerate, it's considered a "free" food.

seaduck 02-19-2008 09:03 PM

I like the way you think!

I thought the ricotta cream thing dessert was considered a Sweet Treat...and I'm pretty much just substituting yogurt for the ricotta.

Thanks!

pamatga 02-21-2008 03:11 PM

Again, I don't mean to be a wet blanket but.....

on the official South Beach website and also in the book, you are only supposed to have 1/2 serving of yogurt per day and that is the low-fat or no fat plus no sugar "variety". That doesn't exactly sound "free" to me. He does seem to lump it in with the dairy but again on Phase 1 the website says 1 1/2 c dairy and on Phase 2 you can up that to 2 dairys.

I don't like yogurt enough unless it is the kind that is sweetened and has a lot of other stuff in it that I only keep a couple of cartons in my fridge for real true blue emergencies.

I too am glad that he has diary. We women need 3 servings a day of dairy to meet our calcium requirements (and no Tums does not count---it's not the same thing!)

Cie 02-23-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamatga (Post 2066195)
on the official South Beach website and also in the book, you are only supposed to have 1/2 serving of yogurt per day and that is the low-fat or no fat plus no sugar "variety". That doesn't exactly sound "free" to me. He does seem to lump it in with the dairy but again on Phase 1 the website says 1 1/2 c dairy and on Phase 2 you can up that to 2 dairys.

I don't like yogurt enough unless it is the kind that is sweetened and has a lot of other stuff in it that I only keep a couple of cartons in my fridge for real true blue emergencies.

I too am glad that he has diary. We women need 3 servings a day of dairy to meet our calcium requirements (and no Tums does not count---it's not the same thing!)

PAMATGA
The confusion can come from quoting the book. Remember there have been revisions to the lists. Seaduck is using the phase two list which states:

MILK/DAIRY

(2-3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)
Yogurt - artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt (limit to 4 ounces daily and avoid varieties that contain high fructose corn syrup)

I love this change because I prefer yogurt to ricotta. Hope this helps. Since I lost 85 pounds with the book it's a lifesaver.

Spiritmagejkt 02-23-2008 06:03 AM

I think it must be due to the artificial sweetner or sugar in the fruit maybe?

seaduck 02-23-2008 10:45 PM

Oh gee. Now I'm confused all over again. Pamatga-- that quote sounds like it says the yogurt is considered a dairy, you can have 2-3 cups of dairy, but only half a cup can be yogurt.

Sounds pretty silly to confess -- and I do -- that I've been cheating with, yes, one whole cup of plain nonfat yogurt! (If you're cheating, wouldn't normal people pick something more sinful?). More than that -- I just don't understand this -- why is plain NF yogurt so different from the other dairy stuff? Does anybody know how the chemistry of this works?

ThinAgainBeginAgain 02-24-2008 10:14 AM

I too find yogurt very confusing and hard to buy. The only yogurt (besides Greek, which I haven't looked into) that seems to fit the SB diet is Dannon Light & Fit Carb Control yogurt, which comes in a 4pack, is only 4 oz each, and the only sugar in it is the lactose, leaving it at about 1 g of sugar. My husband and I have it as a mid-morning snack with a small handful of berries most days. It's like eating dessert.

Don't sweat the yogurt unless you are truly eating a lot of it.

murphmitch 02-24-2008 01:28 PM

I took it to mean a half a cup of the flavored FF SF yogurts, but I eat a whole cup of the greek or plain yogurt daily and it has not affected by weight loss.

Spiritmagejkt 02-24-2008 02:37 PM

Yogurt

I think it speeds up weight loss as long as it has live cultures. Milk doesn't agree with me.

pamatga 02-25-2008 04:59 PM

Actually I think that is what I said

what you said... you know what I mean!

Well, I don't like yogurt enough to give two hoots but for those of you who have to have your daily fix, I agree with the chick who said if we were going to cheat wouldn't we cheat on something a little more (a lot more) sinful?

YES WE WOULD!!

In all fairness, I doubt whether an extra 4 oz of yogurt is going to send you over the top. I guess, in the desire to follow this plan, it can do weird things to your head. I think....

Well, one thing I have learned when the good doctor says 'sparingly" he might as well have said "not in this life time" to me.

I realize for some of you you can eat all sorts of foods but my body isn't one of them. I am going to have to follow this as straight as an arrow or die trying.

Thanks for all of the added comments, I think we have a consensus on yogurt.... you think????;)