South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

Default something I found about weight fluctuations

I thought my scale was broke or I was going nuts. There was no way I could gain weight on what I'm eating.... its definetly water retention. I experimented with a medication I take that is a diuretic. I have a dose range I can use since my BP can fluctuate quite wildly. I always weigh in the morning. I tried taking the med in the am next am I'm weighing in 10 lbs heavier. I take it at night I drop 10 lbs overnight. Its always between 8-10 lbs which is really huge for a med that isn't at a high dose or very strong. So I think i'm going to have to take the med later in the evening and also avoid weighing during the last part of the menstrual cycle. I think I solved the mystery anyways. There are also things we eat and drink that have a diuretic effect, like tea and certain types of lettuce. I wonder if that causes similar effects.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

There's a thread in the Weight Loss Support forum that gives some great info on water weight and scale fluctuations. Some of us here (although I have been cheating a bit) have gone to monthly weighing because we've gotten so frustrated with the daily changes. Over a month's time, even if you are seeing a slight change up, you should see a general trend down, so that should be more heartening.

Good luck!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

My weight has always fluctuated greatly due to water retention issues. I have now been on a prescription diuretic for several years. Prior to that, I would put on 10 to 15 lbs prior to my period and drop it after my period started, usually in the form of soaking wet linens on my bed and my hair looking like I'd just come in from a rainstorm.
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Also check out "Scales Lie!" in our own FAQ.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

I have been doing great counting calories and exercisng daily. Well this morning I am up 3lbs.I know its about time for my period and Im trying not to let it upset me. I am going to keep doing what i am doing and see what happens. Hopefully I will drop alot after my period. I dont take a water pill with my blood pressure med. I may drink some tea and see if that helps any.
I am not giving up!!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Debi, don't freak about it. I put on three to five pounds when I ovulate AND right before I get my period. I'm so lucky,

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #7  

Men don't have to deal with such complexity. I'll make my husband go on the scale and gage everything by that!!! BTW I hit a 15 year low in weight today!! I think this is working.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #8  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I have been disappointed in the numbers on the silly scale as well. My clothes are really loose...I can especially notice it in my jeans. When I can pull my jeans off without undoing the button or zipper then I know it is a good thing. My weight came off easily during the first 2 weeks of January and has stayed the same since then. I am diligent about staying on plan. I have only added a few good carbs back into my daily life and I am trying to stay very aware of calorie intake. I just wish that silly scale would comply!!!
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Have you tried measuring yourself? I have been pleasantly surprised to measure my waist every few weeks & it keeps going down, hence the looser jeans.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #10  

Oh yea I've been measuring since the beginning. I've lost over 4 inches in a month on my waist and about 3 1/2 on my hips.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

I have been noticing for several days that I am retaining water again. I can tell in my fingers and neck/shin area, also because I barely urinate despite the amounts of water I am drinking. So this morning I weighed, and sure enough I am up 3 pounds. I know I haven't cheated, and I know it is water, so I am not concerned. It will be fun when it "breaks" to weigh myself next weekend and see what looks like a DRASTIC change! :lol
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote