South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #1  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Diet Soda

I've been reading all these studies on how diet soda can be bad for you/cause you to gain weight blah blah blah. I really do need to cut back. For some reason, I find it hard to drink water with a meal. I need something with flavor. I tried adding lemon..helps but not much. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you ladies drink besides diet soda and water? BTW...I can't drink coffee or tea w/o artificial sweetner either so I guess thats equivalent to diet soda.
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Seltzer is a nice middle ground and If you need to pump up the flavor lemon juice gives a good kick
I also like flavored teas iced or hot the beauty part is You control what and how much sweetener you put in
I'm in Jersey too
a lot of people use Crystal light or whatever equivalent of it. If I use something like that I add another 8-12 oz of water than what is called for!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #3  

Thanks KO!!! I completely forgot about Seltzer! I can do that...i drew a blank after every1 started jumping on my back about drinking diet soda ..everytime a new study is done my phone is ringing off the hook...its like "lets all attack the chick on a diet about diet soda..while we stuff our faces with burger king!" drives me nuts..sorry had to vent
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #4  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

Aquafina also makes flavored waters that are, in my opinion, quite good. I don't know if there's any calories in it but I enjoy a Licorice Spice Tea by Stash. If you like black licorice you'll like this. Hope this helps some.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I love milk with dinner!

Kara

P.S. Jersey girls, unite!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Crystal Light! There are all sorts of On The Go flavors - and even other brands. Some of them have green tea in them... It's still water - only with flava!

Fruit 2o is good, too - but I think it is too expensive for what it is.

Last edited by SCraver; 02-11-2008 at 03:47 PM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #7  

thanks ladies!!! kara..i love the name of your work plan lol so many convenient temptations and the flesh is weak(sometimes) lol sending some will power your way!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Kara HECK YEAH!
Jersey Girl: I know A&P has a brand of SF non carbonated drinks in Liter Bottles I'd have to go there to remember but some of em have been a lifesaver!
I'm a big snapple girl too Diet raspberry!!!!
Ultimately IMHO as long as you're not Only drinking Diet soda you're ok. . .so make a plan to work on reducing.
YOU CAN DO IT!
(Dont mind my excessive perkiness I'm trying to psych myself up for Ph 1)
oh a good Temptation Battler! SF Jello cups with the whip of your choice
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #9  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I'm a Crystal Light fan too! I keep a pitcher of it in the fridge at home to drink with dinner or whenever, and little packets in my desk at work which come in handy in the afternoons. It's only 5 calories per serving, though I ususally drink 2 servings at a time.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #10  

Thanks KO! Good luck with Ph1...i know this sounds silly but it works for me. If I keep mint scented lip balm on..it helps with cravings...the scent or taste of mint has been proven to do that.

I think the whole deal with the diet soda is the artificial sweetner that isn't good for you...I read that it trains ur body to get used to not having to burn calories whenever u taste something sweet so ur body doesnt heat up as much as it normally does to burn calories because it isn't expecting them. Who knows though..nothing ever has solid proof with these studies.

I'm gonna stick it out with seltzer water. I think the carbonation tricks my brain into thinking im drinking soda. lol Or I might try adding a little NSA cranberry juice to a bottle of water..I'll figure something out!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #11  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I think the new info about diet sodas will require further studies to try to determine the causes. Many times when there are new results from a medical research project it hits the headlines too soon. In other words, more studies are needed, or studies continued/repeated to see if the same results can be obtained. Years ago...like maybe 1995 or so, I read a long, in depth paper on the adverse effects of aspartame. I gave up aspartame and this included diet soft drinks at that time due to my frequent migraines. This worked for me. I have much fewer migraines now. I rarely drink any soft drink. I do occasionally drink one with splenda now. I will be interested to see if the research done on soft drinks is related to aspartame or to any artificial sweeteners.
I drink unsweeted, unflavored iced tea. I used to enjoy sweetened iced tea, but I learned to enjoy darkly brewed at home iced tea.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

What is interesting to me is that, when I looked for today's story online I found this http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040...e-diet-efforts from several years ago. This may not be new information. Wonder why it's just making headlines now?

I also avoid aspartame (and MSG) because of the migraine connection. I decide not to risk Splenda when I read that some people are having similar issues with that. Don't need more migraines!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
What is interesting to me is that, when I looked for today's story online I found this http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040...e-diet-efforts from several years ago. This may not be new information. Wonder why it's just making headlines?
Exactly. I have been reading studies and listening to "experts" say these things for many, many years. I think more studies are being done, but much of it has been shown to occur in the past already.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/sto...4271246&page=1
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It made headlines back then too. One study doesn't really "prove" anything from a scientific standpoint, so multiple researchers and research institutions will perform similar studies with only slight variations. The first study came out, it was reported as if it was new information...then this new study came out, and it was also reported as if it was new information. Mostly because new information is more exciting than "Scientists confirm conclusion we reported 4 years ago".

Last edited by mandalinn82; 02-11-2008 at 07:50 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

I drink the occasional diet pop - somedays it is just what I want. Though I have learned with diet I want it in a glass with ice, something that never mattered with the non-diet stuff. It makes it more of a treat.

I try to keep homemade iced tea on hand. Yes, I use artificial sweetener, but not too much, plus I know that the liquid itself is "real" and not a chemical. Same with coffee - no sweetener in my latte, but if I have more at work I add a tiny bit (1/3 packet) of sweetener.

I also always have water with me, so I feel I get LOTS of it into my day as well!

Ally
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote